Author Topic: Spaying  (Read 3794 times)

Offline Kim

• Site Member
    • Molkara Cocker Spaniels
Spaying
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2004, 05:54:30 PM »
Just to add that personally I wouldn't have a dog or a bitch neutered as a matter of course, there would have to be a GOOD medical reason for me to do so !

JMHO Running for cover now  :rolleyes:  :)  
www.Molkara.co.uk

Save the earth; it's the only planet with chocolate.

Offline Michele

• Site Member
Spaying
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2004, 06:22:56 PM »
Just to add that personally I wouldn't have a dog or a bitch neutered as a matter of course, there would have to be a GOOD medical reason for me to do so !

JMHO Running for cover now  :rolleyes:  :)
Make room for me too then Kim  :D

Meg was spayed after an emergency caesarean as her uterus was near to rupture, but otherwise I wouldn't have had it done. That was her 2nd litter when she was 5. She's 10 now and touch wood *taps head* has no problems with her waterworks at all  :)  

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Spaying
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2004, 06:30:49 PM »

JMHO Running for cover now   

Shift over you two and make room for me ;)

Its certainly not been easy keeping Dallas entire whilst working at a place where the policy is neuter them ASAP :rolleyes:  They can't fathom out why I want him to keep his 'bits' when he isn't shown or used at stud.  
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Shirley

• Site Member
Spaying
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2004, 06:36:59 PM »
I'm with you three on this score!!   :D  
Shirley, Morgan and Cooper
Morgan's Page                                  Videos of my boys

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
Spaying
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2004, 07:54:20 PM »
:) Hmm this is interesting, can you tell me more to help me make an informed choice as what to do with Indie?  

Really the only reason I am having her speyed is as I am terrified of her contracting Pyometra (sp)  

Come out of cover please :lol:  

Offline speedyjaney

• Site Member
Spaying
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2004, 11:04:33 PM »
We've had both Saffi and Jessie spayed and both before their 1st season when they were 6 months old. This was on the advice of the vet and also we were very worried about unwanted pregnancy as there is a couple of entire males that are left to wander and they jump fences around here etc. We were concerned he might jump in our garden at the 'wrong' moment and hey presto pups a few wks later.
(To add - they family who own the dog have been reported and dont care, dog is fed well and sometimes supervised on walks so the powers that be wont remove him  :rolleyes:  he isn't neglected just unsupervised on walks lol
Jane

Offline PennyB

Spaying
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2004, 11:53:29 PM »
We've had both Saffi and Jessie spayed and both before their 1st season when they were 6 months old. This was on the advice of the vet and also we were very worried about unwanted pregnancy as there is a couple of entire males that are left to wander and they jump fences around here etc. We were concerned he might jump in our garden at the 'wrong' moment and hey presto pups a few wks later.
(To add - they family who own the dog have been reported and dont care, dog is fed well and sometimes supervised on walks so the powers that be wont remove him  :rolleyes:  he isn't neglected just unsupervised on walks lol
Jane
I had a similar problem with Harry the lab who was hardly ever at home but usually sitting on someones doorstep being a pain because the dog inside the house was in season. I had real problems with him and a few others when Ruby was in her 1st and only season (I phoned the owner twice but still he came back). I even got scratches and bruises from when he clawed my leg trying to get at Ruby (even though she was in the house). So I'm quite glad she's now spayed.

Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

lynseyloo

Spaying
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2004, 08:00:59 AM »
I felt that the risk of pyometra was a very good medical reason to spay.   My little yorkie I had when I was 5 developed this illness and needed an emergency spay op at a late age in life  :( ... I did not want that to happen to either of my girls... not again  :(  so I know I could have waited, and I could have dealt with seasons etc.. but I didn't  :)  and with jessie I feel it was just aswell cos she had a full phantom before her spay... I couldn't have put her through that again anyways...she went from being my happy little girl to a dog I didn't recognise for a while, although I know this is down to her hormones etc at the time.  I was told by my vet that if she had one after her first season the likely hood is she'll have more.  :unsure:  so I went ahead...but the spay op was a total diferent story..and her recovery after was fraught with disaster..so whether I would actively choose to put another dog through that op, without them saying it is a total necessity, would be doubtfull   ;)  

Offline gc

• Site Member
    • http://
Spaying
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2004, 08:57:15 AM »
Opinions differ if someone has to spay a bitch after or before the first season. Others say that the bitch should be spayed when she gives birth for at least one time...
I personally spayed mine when she was 4... that was last June. The only side-effect was that her coat is not shiny anymore... she looks like a lion now. But she is calm and more tolerant, which is good for my toddler and the one which is coming ;)
Furthermore, even though, again, opinions differ for the matter of pyometra, cancer etc, I wouldn't take a risk. Yet, I had many arguments on this. I just followed my heart. I also respect the opinions of people who say that 'I wouldn't do that to my dog.'. It's their dog. As I wouldn't get involved with their way of raising their children, I wouldn't interfere with this matter either. There are negs and pos.
George.
The truth is out there..... and a cocker can easily find it ;-)

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
Spaying
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2004, 09:09:16 AM »
Never had a boy doggie so not sure if I would 'fix' or not.  However, I lost my previous cocker Kim to mammary cancer when she was 6 so I had both my girls done as soon as I could.  The vets were absolutely adamant that it was leaving Kim in tact that had caused the problem.  Good enough for me never to make that mistake again :(  
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
Spaying
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2004, 09:11:36 AM »
Also respect other peoples decisions to leave well alone tho'.  As with all matters concerning your babies, you just do what you think is right.
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline kookie

• Site Member
Spaying
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2004, 02:14:43 PM »
Livvy's face got really hairy!
Love from Karen and Livvy