Author Topic: Immune Mediated Anemia  (Read 3041 times)

Offline LindaW

• Site Member
    • http://www.shandardel-cockers.co.uk
Immune Mediated Anemia
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2004, 02:10:33 PM »
Don't know if these people are who Shandardel means but I found Joanne Dickson (and Joan!) and her site invaluable at the start of Chloes illness.  I just put canine AIHA into Google and chose the first site which was VetNet.
No that wasn't the site I meant.  The one I am on about is a Yahoo group and the list is managed by a cocker spaniel owner.  The group have close links to the Cambridge vet hospital where there is a lot of research being undertaken into AI problems in dogs.  
Linda
xx
Jodie, Pippa, Daisy, Lolly, Gem, Tigger, Butty, Fanny and Coco!

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
Immune Mediated Anemia
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2004, 08:49:21 PM »
Right.  Then I guess Joanne must be the American equivalent, although having said that, it is not limited to Americans!  They too have a close association with the Morris Animal Foundation who are also studying (among other things) AIHA.  I am always interested in anything that may help Chloe now or in the future, is it possible to get this address also?  I am aware now that the clock is ticking for Chloe.  Her drug regime will take its toll sooner rather than later and it would be helpful to see if anyone else has been at the other end of the illness where the medicine and not the disease is the problem :(    
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline tracy

• Site Member
Immune Mediated Anemia
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2004, 09:52:12 AM »
Hi
Sadly Bobby passed away Monday morning at 9 am. At the moment I am still in shock I think it has all happened so quickly!!
On Friday morning I was meant to bring him home but his condition had deteriated, the vet was trying hard to find another vet in our area with Oxyglobin which apparantly is the better option than a blood transfusion.  He had no joy and no one within a 4 mile radius carries it as it is so exepensive £250!  So my b=vet did the next thing which was to find a blood donor, which he did, and carry out a blood transfusion.  This was fraught with risks as the body can easily reject the foreign blood cells.  However all seemed to go well and Bobby seemed to perk up a little and started to eat some fresh chicken which I had prepared for him.

The vet told me that provided he seemed ok the next morning that we could take him home and keep a close eye on him and carry out with the high dose of Prednisone and another drug called Cyclophosomide (or something).  Saturday he seemed to be fine although still extremely weak but was eating and drinking and was alert.  Sunday morning the same but during the day he seemed a little more subdued, his breathing was not that good although this had been the case most of the time due to the lack of oxygen in his blood and this was supposed to improve.

Monday morning he was extremly weak very lethargic, didn't really want to eat or drink much and collapsed...He was due at the vets at 8.45 for them to check his PCV again but I couldn't wait until then so rushed him off.  They put him straight on oxygen and tested his PCV which had risen to 12% from 12% which was good but the vet was very concerned with his breathing and carried out some more tests.  He told us that he had a lot of fluid around his lungs..Then sadly Bobby collapsed and took one last breath, the vet then told us his heart had stopped...He said he could try and bring him around but that he wouldn't advise it as he had now started to suffer, as he started to bleed internally....We agreed with the vet..

So my poor Bobby who was only coming up to 4 years old, a bloody lovely dog who wouldn't harm a fly.  He was my shadow, my companion who followed me everywhere. My 3 children and husband are totally devastated. I am back in work today writing this with tears flowing, I don't think they have stopped since yesterday...But as they say life goes on...

We have to wait now for Bobby's ashes from the vets so we can say our last goodbyes..and then remember the good times.

Thanks so much for all your replies and sorry if I have gone on too much..
Tracy x
[size=8]** Tracy & Missy **[/size]

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Immune Mediated Anemia
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2004, 10:09:02 AM »
I am so sorry to hear about Bobby :(  I lost one of my boys back in June and still have lots of bad days - he was my shadow too :(  Sending lots of love to you and your family at this difficult time.
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

scoobie

Immune Mediated Anemia
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2004, 10:13:25 AM »
Tracy I too am so very sorry that you lost your precious Bobby you did your damned best for him and he would have known that.. I feel so very sad for you and your family take care love and best wishes from Edith xx

Offline Silver Surfer (indiesnan)

• Site Member
Immune Mediated Anemia
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2004, 10:14:32 AM »
Tracy i'm so sorry to hear about Bobby  :(  Thinking of you and your family at this very sad time. ((( hugs ))) take care xx
* Barb & Nell * ~~He who claims he knows, knows nothing. He who claims nothing knows~~

Offline Luvly

• Site Member
Immune Mediated Anemia
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2004, 11:11:39 AM »
 :D 
Nikkoletta + Wunderschöne Welpen Lindos demais

lynseyloo

Immune Mediated Anemia
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2004, 11:24:30 AM »
I am so so sorry to hear you lost Bobby,   :(  but like Edith said, you did your best by him, you can rest knowing he is no longer suffering and you did your utmost to help him...  

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
Immune Mediated Anemia
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2004, 11:55:31 AM »
I am so very sorry to hear the news.  I was reading your post and but for the outcome, that could have been me writing 7 years ago.  There is no rhyme or reason to this b*****d disease, it takes who it takes and that is that.  There is nothing else you could have done, be assured of that and no guarantees that if the treatment had been different, the outcome would have been different.  My heart breaks for you and yours Tracy.  Stay strong and take some heart from the fact that Bobby is suffering no more.  If I can help in any way, please let me know.    
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
  • Look mum - no legs :)
Immune Mediated Anemia
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2004, 12:03:09 PM »
Tracy, my heart goes out to you and yours .

Time does heal or at least makes the pain easier to bear.

((((hugs))))

Run free Bobby

Caroline and Alfie

Offline kookie

• Site Member
Immune Mediated Anemia
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2004, 02:19:06 PM »
I am so sorry.
Love from Karen and Livvy

Offline tracy

• Site Member
Immune Mediated Anemia
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2004, 02:26:40 PM »
Hi
I just wanted to say thank you so much for all your kind words of support. :)
Today has also been a tough day but work has got me through I guess.  I also went out to a property today (I am an estate agent) and what greeted me was two lovely dogs, a large black labrador and a 5 month old choccy lab pup..it made me smile and I ended up telling the lady all about Bobby and being a fellow dog lover she totally understood.  So bit by bit talking about it helps I guess.

Although I am sure we shall in time have another cocker pup to love, she/he will never replace Bobby only help to remember his personal character.  We lost another cocker called Molly about 5 years ago in a road accident and Bobby never replaced her, they were just totally different and loved equally as much.

Tracy x
P.S. I haven't received your email yet Linda
[size=8]** Tracy & Missy **[/size]

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
Immune Mediated Anemia
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2004, 03:10:08 PM »
I'm so terribly sorry to hear your sad news Tracy  :(

My thoughts are with you at this sad time  :(  

Offline lizzy

• Site Member
    • http://
Immune Mediated Anemia
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2004, 03:30:07 PM »
So sorry to hear you lost Bobby :(  

Lizzy Molly and Evie

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
Immune Mediated Anemia
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2004, 09:58:51 PM »
My thoughts are with you. My dog had the transfusion like yours and she also had the oxyglobin, but unfortunately she didn't survive either, so what I'm trying to say is that even with the oxyglobin it may not have helped.
God bless you all,
From Karen
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.