Author Topic: Tick And Swelling  (Read 975 times)

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
Tick And Swelling
« on: October 30, 2004, 10:50:36 PM »
Sorry I know this has been done before.

Got back from the Highlands this evening, sat down to watch Casualty with Indie on my lap and I started stroking her head as her hair was sticking up, when I noticed a very large lump :unsure: I put the light on and had a closer look, she has a red thing sticking out of the top of her head, (presuiming its a tick) but its the swelling around the area, thats worrying me, is this normal?  Its my first encounter with a tick, I have put vaseline on it and will set about getting it out tomorrow, hopefully when the little vamp is dead!  

Can someone tell me if the swelling is normal?  Or does this mean she has some kind of infection going on?

Thanks, a worried tick virgin :ph34r:  

Offline s baxter

• Site Member
    • http://
Tick And Swelling
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2004, 07:46:43 AM »
sorry can`t really help but i`m not surprize it`s swelling, it`s probably quite an irritant for the skin, the tick may injection some nasty stuff into the blood to thin it?

should`nt worry to much ,she may just needs some antibiotics if it gets infected.

have`nt had ticks yet ,and don`t look forward to them!
sue baxter and Alfie

Offline gc

• Site Member
    • http://
Tick And Swelling
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2004, 11:22:59 AM »
if there is a swelling, then there might be a light infection in there. Did you put an antiseptic?
It would be best if you'd visit a vet.
Also, watch your dog's appetite, mood (cheerful or not) and temperature for a few days.
George.
The truth is out there..... and a cocker can easily find it ;-)

Offline Mary

• Global Moderator
Tick And Swelling
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2004, 11:27:46 AM »
I'd take her to the vet if I were you for some antibiotics.  This happened to Lottie not long ago and she had quite a swelling which took a while to go down.

Hope you had a good holiday Emma ;)  
Mary & Lottie x

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
Tick And Swelling
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2004, 11:28:40 AM »
:) Hi George/Mary

I put vaseline on the tick area the night before (to suffocate it, thanks Shirley :rolleyes: ), then pulled it out with tweezers and sprayed with antiseptic spray, the lump went down within a few hours and I am glad to say Indie is back to her normal self B)   She did become quite sleepy and a bit grumpy whilst she had the tick, so out of character!

Thanks

Ps Mary, had an absolutely wonderful holiday thanks, hope you enjoyed your break too :D  

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
Tick And Swelling
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2004, 06:40:45 PM »
Sorry about the tick - glad you got it out ok. The vets where I work receommend alcohol, which makes it loosen its grip and easier to pull out!

How was the holiday?!

Welcome home

Shona xxx
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)