Author Topic: Limping Cocker  (Read 826 times)

Offline sweeps mum

• Site Member
    • http://
Limping Cocker
« on: November 02, 2004, 05:51:38 PM »
About a month ago Sweep, our now 8 month boy, developed a limp. At first a cut in his paw was said by the vet to be the problem but when we took him back the second time the vet felt his leg and said that he may have damaged his leg and wanted to x ray it in a week if it was not better. He gave him anti inflammatory tablets and he did get better so did not need an x ray.  He was fine but just this week he has started to hold his front paw up(it was his back one last time) and is walking a bit like a rocking horse. He is happy enough to go for a walk still but seems to be sleeping a lot. We can't see any cuts or anything. Is it normal for dogs from time to time to develop a limp which then goes by itself?

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
Limping Cocker
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2004, 07:09:40 PM »

Jimmy did go through phases of limping at a similar age but the vets could never find anything wrong with him despite numerous tests. I found it difficult to work out exactly which leg was giving him the pain, it's not always obvious from the way they limp.

Have a read of this recent thread - growing pains are mentioned, but I'm not sure if that is a recognised occurence in adolescent dogs or not.... it would maybe explain Jimmy's limping if true though.

http://cockersonline.co.uk/forums/index.ph...opic=6732&st=30

Hopefully it's nothing too serious and Sweep will be fine again soon.

Offline Tuuli

• Site Member
Limping Cocker
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2004, 08:09:25 PM »
Well, what do you know!!  Bailey once came from the garden and offered his front right paw to me.  Strange, I thought, but proceeded to inspect it.  Couldn't find anything wrong.  In the evening I took him for a walk as usual but he didn't want to go far.  This caused concern as he loves his evening walks.  He limped for four days and eventually was just lying in his cage looking miserable.  Another trip to vet.  An antibiotic injection and a dozen or so anti-inflammatory tablets to be taken twice a day and bring him back if he doesn't improve.  Thankfully, he did.

Bailey is 9 months old so it could be growing pains.  Mind you, I tried very hard not to make too much fuss of him because he is clever enough to learn to "limp" in order to get extra attention.  But, yes, it probably was growing pains.

Bailey is now running a round like whirlwind inside and banging his head into the furniture - the limping has gone.  What a little nutter.

I do hope that Sweep is much better now.

Tuuli & Bailey