Author Topic: Charlie-spud - Hip Dysplasia  (Read 4424 times)

Offline T

• Site Member
Charlie-spud - Hip Dysplasia
« on: November 10, 2004, 09:47:43 PM »
After thorough examinations and x-rays Charlie-Spud has been diagnosed with severe HD in his rear right leg and secondary HD in the rear left.   :(

His Vet and Consultant have put a plan of action together for Charlie, which involves a strict exercise regime including hydrotherapy.  He has been restricted to 3 lead walks of a maximum 15/20 mins per day and hydrotherapy comprising 3 sessions this week increasing to 4 next week and five the week after. He has been prescribed painkillers and anti-inflammatory tablets and joint supplements. At the moment we are trying to stabilise his left hip in the hope that this will not require any surgery. However, Charlie will require surgery on his rear right hip but we hope the management plan will alleviate the need to operate on his left one.

Although Charlie is not overweight he needs to loose between 1.5 and 2.0kg. The lighter he is the better So in an attempt to help him along his groomer has given him a close cut (Hey, every little bit helps even if it is a matter of ounces :) ) Seriously though this was also recommended by the Consultant as it alleviates any pulling or agitating him around the rear or on his back.

Charlie's consultant is brilliant, she has explained everything in so much detail and appears to have won him over so much so that she can do almost anything to him, which is so reassuring especially as he tends to be slightly grummbly when anyone goes near his rear end.

The consultant also said that Charlie will need pain killing injections twice weekly towards the end of the year as his body will get used to the metacam and the pain level may over ride the effects of this drug. They cannot operate at this stage as they need to monitor his left hip, as they do not want to keep knocking him out due to the effects of a GA on his heart. But obviously if they need to then they will operate on the right one in the interim and continue to monitor the left one.

Its not the best result in the world but it explains why he has been acting so out of character recently and now measures can be taken to help him through each day and to improve his quality of life for how ever long.

There are further concerns over Frisbee especially as he shares the same father. The consultant has checked him over and at this stage is not unduly worried but we are keeping a very close eye on him...just in case… but you can bet that he will be taken straight to the vet if any alarm bells start ringing.

Charlie-Spud 'ere, oh and this little fella Frisbee!

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2004, 09:55:51 PM »
Poor Charlie-Spud - that is awful news :(  Hope the regime he is on keeps him comfortable and he enjoys his hydrotherapy! If I remember correctly, he is a ball loving water babe like my Vegas ;)  I really hope Frisbee isn't affected - I guess all you can do is wait and see :unsure:

Do keep us updated on his progress and give him a big hug from me for being such a brave boy :wub:
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline bluesmum

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2004, 10:03:11 PM »
I'm really sorry to hear that T, poor Charlie-spud I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you that Frisbee isn't affected too and that Charlie-spud does well on his meds and hydrotherapy
Maria, Blue & Bailey. xx

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2004, 10:04:43 PM »
Hi T

:( What sad news for CS, at least you now have a treatement programme in place for him, which I am sure will go some way in helping him, he certainly has great owners that will ensure everything possible is done for him :)   Like Gill said I hope little Frisbee is not affected too.

To be honest I had no idea hip displacia was as comman as it seems to be in cockers, I always thought that it tended to affect the larger breed more?

Big hugs to all of you :)  

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2004, 10:07:06 PM »
Aw bless him - keeping our fingers and paws crossed that regime and hydro help Charlie-Spud.

Cocker cuddles from us xxx
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

Offline mum of kimmi

• Site Member
  • some days are harder than others!!
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2004, 10:30:16 PM »
Hi T

Sorry to ehar about your poorly boy.

Hope the regime works.

Kimmi sends lots of big wet sloppy cocker kissesxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Kimmi's mum

Offline Shirley

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2004, 10:48:43 PM »
So sorry to hear about Charlie Spud :( .  Hope the hydrotherapy and medication works.  It's good that you have a vet that you trust to help you work though it  :) Send him lots of hugs and kisses!!! xxx

Shirley, Morgan and Cooper
Morgan's Page                                  Videos of my boys

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2004, 11:06:54 PM »
Sorry to hear about Charlie-Spud  :(  

Offline Luvly

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2004, 11:12:16 PM »
 :D
Nikkoletta + Wunderschöne Welpen Lindos demais

Offline Michele

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2004, 11:12:28 PM »
Tina, I'm so sorry to hear such devastating news, poor Charlie Spud  :(
It does sound though, that you have a wonderful vet who by taking time to explain things and widening your understanding, has maybe made this a little bit easier on yourselves.
Fingers crossed for Frisbee, I'm sure you'll be keeping a very close watch on him  ;)
Have you let the breeder know?

Sending lots of for the boys

Offline T

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2004, 11:31:09 PM »
Thanks for your replies.  I have passed on all the hugs and kisses to Charlie.  Gave a few to Frisbee as well.

Michelle - I have contacted the breeder, for what it was worth! She had to finish the phone call to answer the door. Found myself shaking my head at the receiver when finished the call. Unsure whether to cry :(  or to be angry  :angry: .  I think that this conversation over Charlie is "to be continued"

Will keep you all posted over Charlie's progress and thanks for everyones support and advice.
Charlie-Spud 'ere, oh and this little fella Frisbee!

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2004, 12:25:17 AM »

Poor old Charlie Spud. :(  Hopefully he will enjoy his hydrotherapy sessions.

Good luck with all the treatment.  

Offline Pipers Mummy

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2004, 06:19:49 AM »
Piper sends lots of Cocker love and kisses to Charlie Spud.

xxxxx
Cocker Kisses from Louise & Piper xxx

Offline Tracey J

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2004, 07:58:59 AM »
So sorry to hear about Charlie-spud :( , I hope he's not in too much pain.  Hopefully the treatment will get him back to his old self.  Fingers crossed that little Frisbee will be free from any problems.  Take care.
Tracey, Molly &  little brother Brodie!

Offline lizzy

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2004, 08:48:16 AM »
I'm really sorry to hear about Charlie-Spud :( thats awful, But I'm glad you've got some good support, big hugs to you both :)  

Lizzy Molly and Evie