Author Topic: Cocker Rescue Centre  (Read 3770 times)

Offline flora

• Site Member
Cocker Rescue Centre
« on: February 11, 2005, 07:43:24 PM »
is there any way the cocker club could help with a breed rescue centre to help retrain and find these dogs loving homes i am sure a lot of cocker people would donate items to help with what seems to me to be an ever increasing problem with all breeds not only cockers i know there are many cocker rescue co-ordinaters which do wonderfull work in rehoming. would a centre help them do you think? i would love to hear your views on this .  

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
Cocker Rescue Centre
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2005, 12:26:28 AM »
I think the problem with that is that rescue cockers can be spread far and wide. The people involved in cocker rescue do a marvellous job, many of them take dogs in and care for them while homes are found. Not sure how one cnetre would work  :unsure: The other problem is there are always going to be cockers turning up in non-cocker rescue centres no matter what you do.

Offline flora

• Site Member
Cocker Rescue Centre
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2005, 09:37:16 AM »
good point gilly i just wish there was more that i could do a the cocker rescue co-ordinators do a brilliant job.  

Offline PennyB

Cocker Rescue Centre
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2005, 12:04:42 PM »
I think the problem with that is that rescue cockers can be spread far and wide. The people involved in cocker rescue do a marvellous job, many of them take dogs in and care for them while homes are found. Not sure how one cnetre would work  :unsure: The other problem is there are always going to be cockers turning up in non-cocker rescue centres no matter what you do.
Probably in the same way rescues like Hereford and Worcester animal sanctuary operate whereby the majority of dogs are in foster homes. Cocker rescue operate in a similar manner through co-ordinators around the UK.

However cocker rescue will not take in a dog that has allegedly bitten/nipped so the small rescues take these in an assess them and retrain them in foster homes if they can then rehome them. I've known a number of cockers whereby this has happened and they are now in loving homes and have never had any problems in their new home (some dogs sadly get labelled when actually the circumstances or details are really suspect!). [H&W took in a 6 month old male cocker who'd allegedly bitten a child just before Christmas, there was no mark on the child though and 3 year old child had been left alone with this young cocker so mother doesn't know what happened! Thankfully H&W rehomed the dog and I 've met him recently and he's a typical non-aggressive exuberant young cocker who still would be OK with kids in the right home]
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Cocker Rescue Centre
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2005, 12:05:09 PM »
It's generally only the bigger general rescues which have purpose-built rescue centres - I can't see it being possible for a small breed rescue. Another thing is that Cockers needing rehabilitation (eg ex puppy farm dogs) are going to be better off getting individual care/training in a family/home environment than in a centre.  There are also of course the big rescue organisations like Blue Cross & Dogs Trust plus many smaller rescues all over the country who do marvellous work. Sadly I think the Cocker's very popularity which seems to be increasing (it has now risen to 2nd place in the most popular breeds registered with the KC) will mean more "breeders" mass producing puppies for commercial gain which means more dogs in rescue in the long run :angry:

Jane
Jane

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
Cocker Rescue Centre
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2005, 12:09:21 PM »
it has now risen to 2nd place in the most popular breeds registered with the KC
And that''s just with the KC - not counting the thousands that either aren't registered, or are registered with the DLRC or some other dodgy equivalent. These figures are just SCARY.  

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Cocker Rescue Centre
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2005, 12:16:58 PM »
And that''s just with the KC - not counting the thousands that either aren't registered, or are registered with the DLRC or some other dodgy equivalent. These figures are just SCARY.
The figures sure are scary! The last BRS for 2004 has just been published & there are several commercial breeders registering 10 litters each for just one 3 month period - mulitiply that by 4 & that's a hell of a lot of puppies. Then there are all the litters registered elsewhere or not registered at all. Cockers are still way behind Labs though - their registrations are even scarier :(

Jane
Jane

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
Cocker Rescue Centre
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2005, 01:00:11 PM »
:huh:  That's such sad news, I didn't realise that Jane.
I know this might sound awful but I defintely don't want a cocker to win Crufts this year as where would the breed be then  :huh:  

Offline PennyB

Cocker Rescue Centre
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2005, 02:55:23 PM »
Worse still if they put one in a new major movie that kids see.
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Luvly

• Site Member
Cocker Rescue Centre
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2005, 07:19:09 PM »
 :luv:
Nikkoletta + Wunderschöne Welpen Lindos demais

Offline alan&ness

• Site Member
    • http://
Cocker Rescue Centre
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2005, 09:00:27 PM »
:D Im no expert on this subject, Breaders of all dogs should be regulated more intensely, as are the people who wish to own them. There are far too many people breeding purely for £ gain & not the interest in the breeds. I mean no offence to anyone by this . Purely my opinion .Good job they don,t breed humans for sale.
ALAN NESS&MONTY