Author Topic: Nature Diet: I'm ready to scream  (Read 6551 times)

Offline DennyK

• Site Member
    • http://
Nature Diet: I'm ready to scream
« on: February 22, 2006, 03:50:58 PM »
After Paddy's diagnosis with colitis, we've successfully moved him onto Nature Diet puppy.  Tummy fine, bowels great, coat shiny, and he's so happy with the food.

EVERYWHERE is now out of stock.  I got my original two cases direct from nature diet, so went back to them today.  They are out of stock and won't be making anymore for at least 8 possibly 12 weeks.  As an alternative, they've suggested getting the adult original variety, and supplementing the protein requirement with scrambled eggs three to four times a week.

any views on this?  AFter all the palaver of getting Paddy onto a settled diet which suits him, and having given up on dry food since the vet said he can't digest it, I'm loath to move away from nature diet.  I'm also concerned, on the other hand, with doing some "home supplementation" which lacks any subtlety.

Any views?

Friends (not cocker owners) have suggested (i) Forthglade pet food; and (ii) nature's menu.

Any knowledge/experience/views on either of these?  Views on using adult original + scrambled eggs??

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
  • Look mum - no legs :)
Re: Nature Diet: I'm ready to scream
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2006, 03:57:34 PM »
Have you had the phone book out and dome a ring around? Quite often its the small independents that will have stock still. Pain in the butt I know but Its worth a try
Caroline and Alfie

Offline Joelf

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2006, 04:17:56 PM »
I don't know how true this is but last week I bought 2 cases of Naturediet & happened to mention to the chap serving me that there seemed to be a problem with their distribution. He replied that someone had "fallen into one of the machines & been killed"!!!??? :o :huh: so there could be even more problems as the factory was now shut at the moment!!!

I'm afraid I was callous enough to consider buying another couple of cases whilst they had them!!! ph34r 
Jo, Domino (cocker) & Spike (black lab.)

Offline Silver Surfer (indiesnan)

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2006, 04:26:17 PM »
I stocked up with  Nature Diet yesterday. The shop we go to  does'nt seem to have a problem.

* Barb & Nell * ~~He who claims he knows, knows nothing. He who claims nothing knows~~

Offline KellyS

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2006, 05:16:43 PM »
I know that they have recentley re-located from Surrey to Norfolk and have had a few probs with the new machines etc.  What a shame as they are going to start losing customers if people can't readily source their product.  Could ND not give you a list of local stockists in your area?

Depending on how old your pup is - If it were me I would mix some original with puppy and add a few eggs as suggested until you can get puppy again. Can they guarantee you a delivery by 12 weeks???
Kelly & the Keladity Klan

Visit our website
www.keladitycockers.co.uk
Dogs laugh but they laugh with their tails! - Max Eastman

Offline EmC

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2006, 05:39:56 PM »
We have had real problems getting hold of it too.  It seemed to come back in stock about 6 weeks ago but now there seems to be a problem again, maybe someone did fall into the machine!  :o

We are using Natures menu at the moment instead but Jarvis dosn't seem to like it quite as much, lets hope supply probs are sorted soon.

Emma and Jarvis

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2006, 08:19:44 PM »
They had problems over christmas apparently - I had problems gtting it then, and they weren't particularly helpful. They did say there were a lot of rumours doing the rounds, but it was a production problem.

My local pet shop has it at the moment, it's worth ringing round - big suppliers like certain pet shops never stopped getting their supplies, but naturediet couldn't guarantee our small shop over xmas, so they ran out.

Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2006, 09:15:34 PM »
they should be back to normal delivery now, my supplier seems to be.

sarahp has a stash that daisy won't eat (she's away at the moment but i got some off her for jarv).  i'm sure you could come to some arrangement!
helen & jarvis x

Offline DennyK

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2006, 02:11:49 PM »
thanks for the replies.  I've called every listed pet shop in Windsor and Slough, all out of stock.

On the death at work, I went into our local "Pets Corner" (In Wyvale Garden Centre) about 10 days ago and they said they'd just received an e-mail that morning from Nature Diet to say that the Health & Safety Executive had shut them down and were investigating, with the police, a fatal accident on site.  From my experience, fatal accident investigations usually shut a factory for three to four days.

When I got the first batch sent to me at the time of that e-mail, the customer services person only admitted that the new factory wasn't producing good enough quality product and so they'd had to recommission the old site to help out.

I spoke to the vet and he said go with the adult original and scrambled eggs top up, as this would minimise disruption to Paddy's system, which given his colitis, is my no. 1 priority.  Three cases duly stockpiled.

Any of you that can get the puppy variety and don't have several weeks of stock: get out and buy it while you can!

If Sarah wants to sell me her excess, I'm happy to talk turkey (well, pet food...) :P

Offline catatonic

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2006, 01:50:18 AM »
TAKEN FROM ND's WEBSITE:

We have been advised by several of our customers that there are numerous rumours regarding Naturediet around the marketplace Many of the rumours are misconceptions of what is exactly happening at the Company and therefore this statement is an update to our situation.

We are not going out of business or into receivership. Naturediet has been in existence now for 30 years and we intend to continue for a least another 30 years providing high quality pet food, with natural ingredients, no additives, preservatives or colourings.

Due to an unfortunate incident at Naturediet in Chiddingfold, Surrey, we have taken the decision to cease production at this site and all production has now been moved to Shipdham, Norfolk.

Final commissioning is taking place at the new factory in Shipdham. Obviously with any new plant, the machinery will take a while to settle down and we have to ?iron out? the remaining machinery issues.

We are producing 24 hours in Norfolk, albeit at a slower speed than we would like and with limited products, i.e. we are only producing Chicken, Original, Lamb and Chicken & Tripe, our four main lines.

We are supplying all of our wholesalers, however we are not able to fulfill their orders completely. We are instead trying to ensure that product is distributed fairly in order that the wholesalers can allocate at least some stock to their customers.

There are comments with regards to the new product, some like it some don?t. The new facility cooks the food in less than 4 minutes in an aseptic environment reaching a temperature of 125 degrees. This is the requirement set down by DEFRA under whom we are registered. The result of the new cooking process is that there is far less damage to the product and higher retention of the enzymes and nutrients normally destroyed by processing food.

The pack is hot filled, i.e. it is already cooked when it is placed in the pack whereas in Chiddingfold the packs were filled with raw ingredients and then cooked. This has resulted in a smooth finish to the top of the food when the pack is opened. However, when the product is cut open it does look the same as the product manufactured in Chiddingfold. We have not changed the recipe at all, the same ingredients are in the products as there has always been, fresh meat, carrots, brown rice and a special blend containing the correct nutritional balance of vitamins and minerals for a healthy pet.

We hope this explains our current situation but if you have any further queries or concerns on this or any other Naturediet matter, please email Customer Services info@naturediet.co.uk or call 08700 132960

Penel

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2006, 08:06:36 PM »
One of their members of staff unfortunately committed suicide at the Surrey plant.
All manufacturing is happening at the new plant now anyhow so it should be getting back to normal soon.

Offline amanda

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2006, 11:22:00 PM »
This site http://www.all4dogs.co.uk/acatalog/Semi_Moist_Foods.html apparently still have some nature diet in stock and my local pets at home still have lots left as of 6pm today. If anyone needs any I could buy some and post it on to you.
Amanda, Indie and Zephie

Offline DennyK

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2006, 10:32:43 AM »
The All4Dogs people have no Nature Diet in stock, unfortunately: when you go on the website, it's listed but I rang and the chap said it wasn't available - same story as NDiet told me directly - not due to make any for several weeks.

He recommended Forthglade (which a friend has already moved her adult corgi onto, instead of Nature Diet) - he said they've basically "cracked" the special cooking methods that NDiet used and it was an almost identical formulation/product.  They've been giving out free samples to their regular NDiet customers and it's been very popular with them.

I've ordered a case and will let you know how Paddy settles to it.  If he's happy with it, I'm giving up on Nature Diet, as I simply can't be bothered with all the hassle of chasing round after it.

Will keep you all posted.

Denise

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2006, 06:08:21 PM »
denise - i've spotted some puppy naturediet locally to me so if you want some let me know... ;)
helen & jarvis x

Offline DennyK

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2006, 06:16:14 PM »
thanks so much for the offer, but I've got the Forthglade coming on Tuesday so will need to use all that up first, and if it agrees with Pads, then I'm leaving him on it.

D