Author Topic: Does neutering stop a dog cocking his leg?  (Read 6057 times)

Offline Becky

• Site Member
    • http://
Does neutering stop a dog cocking his leg?
« on: June 15, 2004, 06:47:57 PM »
Our four year old golden,Danny has never cocked his leg.  He was neutered at 9 months and had to have a more complicated op because he had a retained teste that had to be removed from his tummy.  Does anyone know if the neutering would have inhibited leg-cocking, or his condition (called Cryptorchidism, I think) or is it just one of those things?  I ask because the vet at the time was quite vague(we have since changed) and we are getting our second cocker soon and will want him neutered in time.  My parents also have a Staffie cross pup who is to be neutered in a couple of months.
Love Becky, Danny and Ollie!

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2004, 06:53:37 PM »
neutering does not necessarily stop or encourage leg cocking. There are many fully intact fully grown Cocker boys who still don't cock their legs :? . Similarly - there are those that have been done who do.

Neutering is more routine where you have Chryptorchid or Monorchid - where one or both testes fail to drop. The worry is that they can become cancerous if left in situe.

There is evidence to support getting a dog neutered though when he is fully mature as early neutering seems to account for some dogs never growing up :lol: . If there is a supporting medical reason to get it done sooner - then fine. Otherwise - I would wait to see if you need it doing first - and then try and wait till your boy has grown and matured.

hth                    
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline Becky

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2004, 09:44:14 PM »
Thanks for the advice Pammy.  Will bare it in mind and have a chat to our vet, who is a lot more help than the one we took Danny to when he was little.

Offline Juel

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2004, 06:13:22 PM »
Hiya Becky,

I have a 13month old & he still doesn't cock is leg....just plain stupid i guess!! :?
luv
juel x                    

Offline dog2

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2004, 09:29:03 PM »
Benj is neutered and he cocks his leg like a ballerina!!When we first got him he was so fat he couldnt cock his leg at all and it was great when he first did it we all clapped!!! :lol:                    

Offline Becky

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2004, 09:46:06 PM »
Out of interest, did Benji cock his leg before or after his little op?  as  Dan's now four, I don't think he will, He's a bit camp in other ways too :oops: but it might help us decide what to do with Ollie, our new arrival.                    

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2004, 09:54:59 PM »
Vegas is 2 and has never cocked his leg. He was neutered at 6 months - a mistake I won't be making again :wink:  Brook was neutered at about 18 months old and he always cocked his leg.  I think if they cock their leg before the op then they should continue to do so :?                    
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline dog2

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2004, 10:22:34 PM »
Becky,we rescued Benj so dont know if he cocked his leg before or not as it wasnt us who had him neutered.He weighed 5 stones when we rescued him so to cock his leg was a physical impossibility for the poor boy :oops: but funnily enough Benj is a bit camp too....known for it in fact,wonder what thats all about??                    

Offline Becky

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2004, 10:31:59 PM »
Oh, poor Benji, lucky he found you.  maybe the campness is hormonal, though I'm sure not all neutered dogs are "good to their mothers" :lol: .  When our other dogs are playing, Dan often wanders around the garden sniffing the lovely flowers :!:   I wouldn't have him any other way though.                    

Offline Juel

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2004, 11:59:24 PM »
Harvey was only 6months when we had him "done" :(  & as i said earlier he's made no attempt to cock his leg as yet either.......can't see im doing it now!!! ..........
.......i wonder whether the timing is relevant?? seems to be a common thing doesn't it?

I know it's obviously usually a natural thing for dogs to do but is it a bad thing if they don't cock their legs?

luv
juels xx                    

Offline dog2

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2004, 11:39:39 AM »
it could be an age thing,when do pups start to cock their legs normally?Do they start off as babies doing it the ladies way and then comes a time when they get manly and cock their legs?Benj to be fair does both but mainly cocks his leg.I think the squatting was when he couldnt do much else :(                    

Offline Becky

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2004, 06:00:53 PM »
I think they all start squatting like girls as a baby, and then cock as they mature.  I don't  know at what age that usually is though, but it does seem if they're 'done' before they start, then they never will.  Does anyone have a dog that's started cocking his leg after being neutered?

Offline Shirley

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2004, 07:18:13 PM »
I don't know anything about the neutering part as neither of my boys are 'done'.  Morgan squatted until he was about 10 months but has been a leg-lifter ever since.  Cooper, at 6 1/2 months still squats  :D                    
Shirley, Morgan and Cooper
Morgan's Page                                  Videos of my boys

Offline Sharon

• Inactive
  • Bramble
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2004, 07:55:57 PM »
My sisters dog, Paddy, is 14 months and he's never attempted to cock his leg yet                    

Offline taniac

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2004, 04:38:55 PM »
Neo started cocking his leg at about 8 months maybe a bit older.  I think sometimes they learn off other dogs too,  my friend's dog didn't cock his leg until he went to stay the weekend in a house with a cocking dog.. He came home cocking his leg!!!                    
Tania
(Neo and Jovi's Mum)