Author Topic: My dog needs to vomit - Updated **  (Read 6093 times)

Offline LizzieD

• Site Member
Re: My dog needs to vomit
« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2009, 01:22:04 PM »
So pleased to hear that Robbie is ok.

We too live with a sock, cloth, (or almost anything) gobbling thief.  ::) who has had several visits to the vet for such misdemeaners.  ph34r

The vet advised me that socks and such like can sometimes stay in their actual stomach for a long time. If they are not sick when eating it is because the sock is not covering the entrance to the intestines.

The real danger is when the object moves into the intestines and gets stuck. Provided the object is still in the actual stomach the vet can give an injection to make them sick up the entire contents of the stomach. (not pleasant but very effective & has helped Millie bring up a very thick vyleda discloth,  :o a plastic bag that had her treats in and also good old socks) But this only works if the object is still in the stomach.

I have learnt with Millie and soft and small fabric will pass thro ok (she chews and eats her fleece blankets  ph34r) but I have now come to the conculsion that I would rather take her straight to the vet for anything else (and suffer the £80 cost) whilst I know it is still in her stomach and can be 'retrieved' rather than live with the stress of waiting for said stolen object to hopefully appear 3,4,5 or whatever days later while running the risk of it getting stuck and having to be operated on.

Children grow up and don't want cuddles, but dogs are puppies for life.

Offline LOOBIE

« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2009, 04:32:06 PM »
So pleased to hear that Robbie is ok.

We too live with a sock, cloth, (or almost anything) gobbling thief.  ::) who has had several visits to the vet for such misdemeaners.  ph34r

The vet advised me that socks and such like can sometimes stay in their actual stomach for a long time. If they are not sick when eating it is because the sock is not covering the entrance to the intestines.

The real danger is when the object moves into the intestines and gets stuck. Provided the object is still in the actual stomach the vet can give an injection to make them sick up the entire contents of the stomach. (not pleasant but very effective & has helped Millie bring up a very thick vyleda discloth,  :o a plastic bag that had her treats in and also good old socks) But this only works if the object is still in the stomach.

I have learnt with Millie and soft and small fabric will pass thro ok (she chews and eats her fleece blankets  ph34r) but I have now come to the conculsion that I would rather take her straight to the vet for anything else (and suffer the £80 cost) whilst I know it is still in her stomach and can be 'retrieved' rather than live with the stress of waiting for said stolen object to hopefully appear 3,4,5 or whatever days later while running the risk of it getting stuck and having to be operated on.

thats really interesting to know as I've mentioned Archie had op to remove pop sock but I got him to the vets within 15mins of him doing so, the vet did a camera job to locate said pop sock, but carried out an op as opposed to making him sick... I'm now wondering if maybe he was operated on unnecessarily poor little boy has anyone any comments?

Offline highlandlass

• Robbie the Rebel
« Reply #47 on: January 08, 2009, 08:08:29 PM »
Robbie has swallowed a pop sock before too - it was more of a worry as i thought it might get twisted round something inside - but he had no problem vomitting it back up in the usual 4-5 days. I just knew i had not seen the glove reappear and the days were marchng on. Thankfully it was still in his stomach.

I too have heard of the injection to induce vomit (hence the title of this post), but i did not dare question the vet - i am however glad that they did not operate, but managed to get hold of it during the endoscopy. (and grateful the bill was ONLY??? £150)

It is reassuring to know that other dogs swallow like Robbie does - i was beginning to doubt my parenting skills!!!!!  The vet said i should just distract him with a biscuit or something - she has obviously not seen "lightening boy" in action!. I am wondering if it is genetic! Robbie's mum is a swallower, as are the other 3 in his litter - 2 of which have already been to vets for removal of socks.

Offline LizzieD

• Site Member
« Reply #48 on: January 08, 2009, 10:15:17 PM »
It is reassuring to know that other dogs swallow like Robbie does - i was beginning to doubt my parenting skills!!!!!  The vet said i should just distract him with a biscuit or something - she has obviously not seen "lightening boy" in action!. I am wondering if it is genetic! Robbie's mum is a swallower, as are the other 3 in his litter - 2 of which have already been to vets for removal of socks.

Yes it's good to know that other dogs do it too, and I also feel like a bad mummy when she manages to gobble something.  We have worked really hard on getting her to hand over stolen items, by just walking towards the treat cupboard and saying in a really pleased voice 'is that for me WHAT a Good girl!! etc etc'. and making a big fuss once handed over - it now works most of the time  :D but I don't trust 'Lightening Girl' and inch and laundry is sorted upstairs and Miilie is not allowed in the kitchen when loading the washing machine and she is not allowed upstairs 'cos she would find a feast in the kids bedrooms.  ::)

Good luck in keeping Robbie 'sock free'  :blink:

Offline highlandlass

• Robbie the Rebel
« Reply #49 on: January 09, 2009, 06:12:19 PM »
none of you are gonna believe this - a not really sure i should tell you incase you think i am unfit mother - but he jumped up and stole a glove out of a mans hand when we were in field today for a walk  (i had stopped to speak to him)- he ran off and thankfully buried it - he thought he was so clever - i did not!!!! So even though we are VERY careful round the house - it seems he can feed his fetish elsewhere!!! ph34r

Offline stuffster

• Luna
« Reply #50 on: January 09, 2009, 07:55:30 PM »
 :005: :005:

Sorry shouldnt laugh but he is SERIOUSLY addicted to wooly things isnt he?

PURDEY AND LUNA <3

Offline highlandlass

• Robbie the Rebel
« Reply #51 on: January 09, 2009, 08:19:25 PM »
:005: :005:

Sorry shouldnt laugh but he is SERIOUSLY addicted to wooly things isnt he?

Maybe  i should buy him a sheep instead of another dog!!! :005: :005: :005:

Offline LizzieD

• Site Member
« Reply #52 on: January 09, 2009, 09:52:54 PM »

Yes it's good to know that other dogs do it too, and I also feel like a bad mummy when she manages to gobble something.  We have worked really hard on getting her to hand over stolen items, by just walking towards the treat cupboard and saying in a really pleased voice 'is that for me WHAT a Good girl!! etc etc'. and making a big fuss once handed over - it now works most of the time  :D but I don't trust 'Lightening Girl' and inch and laundry is sorted upstairs and Miilie is not allowed in the kitchen when loading the washing machine and she is not allowed upstairs 'cos she would find a feast in the kids bedrooms.  ::)

Ooops -I should have said 'sock AND glove free'.  :005: :005:
Glad he didn't eat it  - that would have taken some explaining.  ph34r

Offline highlandlass

• Robbie the Rebel
« Reply #53 on: January 11, 2009, 07:05:15 PM »

I've tried it twice - it works - now he keeps bringing me things and expecting a treat!!! But hey - if it saves him swallowing anything else.......

Offline LizzieD

• Site Member
« Reply #54 on: January 11, 2009, 11:14:21 PM »
Well done on getting Robbie to hand over some things to you.  :D

I'm pretty sure Millie now goes off looking for things to swap for a treat  (remote controls are a favourite)   >:D  but as you say... if it stops her swallowing some things then I don't care - And she has handed over some things that I KNOW she would have swallowed at the slightest sign of 'stressing' from us.

Offline highlandlass

• Robbie the Rebel
Re: My dog needs to vomit - Updated **
« Reply #55 on: February 07, 2009, 09:36:59 AM »
AGAIN - This morning - he found another glove in the bushes whilst out running in the field and there were so many other dogs around that he obviously felt pressured - and down it went - swallowed!!!  >:D >:D >:D
I am soooooooooooo angry with him. He is now shut in the kitchen!
I don't want to muzzle him - seems so extreme - but so are his swallowing tendancies!!!

Will keep you updated - am off to vet to pick up wormer tablet - frightened to admit it has happened again - just got cheque from insurance company for last "swallowing" episode!!  ph34r

Fiona x

Offline SkyeSue

• Inactive
« Reply #56 on: February 07, 2009, 09:40:07 AM »
AGAIN - This morning - he found another glove in the bushes whilst out running in the field and there were so many other dogs around that he obviously felt pressured - and down it went - swallowed!!!  >:D >:D >:D
I am soooooooooooo angry with him. He is now shut in the kitchen!
I don't want to muzzle him - seems so extreme - but so are his swallowing tendancies!!!

Will keep you updated - am off to vet to pick up wormer tablet - frightened to admit it has happened again - just got cheque from insurance company for last "swallowing" episode!!  ph34r

Fiona x

Awww Fiona what a rascal Robbie is...hope the vet gets him sorted. I think your doggy should be undergoing therapy for his obsession  ;) Keep us posted.

Sue and Chloe, happy girls on the Isle of Skye

Offline Gini

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #57 on: February 07, 2009, 09:56:43 AM »

[/quote]thats really interesting to know as I've mentioned Archie had op to remove pop sock but I got him to the vets within 15mins of him doing so, the vet did a camera job to locate said pop sock, but carried out an op as opposed to making him sick... I'm now wondering if maybe he was operated on unnecessarily poor little boy has anyone any comments?
[/quote]

A friend of mine has a sock and glove eating springer. She uses a homeopathic vet and gives Bilbo a remedy straight away to bring it back up before it reaches the intestines. The remedy is to expel so should also expel the other from the intestines, she never waits that long though. She's tried delaying the remedy to see if Bilbo will be sick himself but it's always within 2 hrs of the first dose.

Offline MrsMac

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #58 on: February 07, 2009, 10:05:42 AM »
What a boy!!  Knowing how fast he is I'm not surprised you don't have any time to retrieve the glove/sock etc before he swallows it.  Hope you get on ok at the vets  ;)
Mairi & Melody
Melody

Friends are the angels that lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly

Offline *Theresa*

• Donator
« Reply #59 on: February 07, 2009, 10:09:50 AM »
AGAIN....Having seen him in actions though I can totally understand how you have not a hope of getting it off him if he gets to it first and decides it's edible.

Hope the poor wee man gets rid of this one again soon  :-*
Theresa, Dave, Glen and Sally (or their aliases Gwendoline and Scallywag)