Author Topic: Help !!  (Read 1157 times)

Offline Nat

• Site Member
    • http://www.crazycockers.homestead.com
Help !!
« on: March 01, 2004, 12:59:12 PM »
I thought I would post as im not sure if im making matters worse or not !!

Grace (now 11 months) is in season, her first, and up until 2.5 weeks ago her and India were playing, and couldnt be happier.  Even Starr was playing and not one fight occured.

Last week, was a nightmare, Grace and India have been fighting non stop., and im not sure what to do apart from separate them, which I dont want to do.  They have their separate crates for sleeping overnight, but during the day, are left loose.

All one of them has to do is look at the other, and that sets them off, and they have to be pulled apart by the scruff of the neck ...

Do you think that its because Grace is in her 2nd week of her season,??
As ive mentioned, they have been absolutely great with one another, but this week has been unbearable....  Any advice??

thanks
Nat                    
Nat

Simbarra Cocker Spaniels
www.crazycockers.homestead.com

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Help !!
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2004, 01:33:56 PM »
I think you can put this down to hormones Nat! Loraine had a similar problem a few months ago and all settled down when the seasons were over - I'm sure she'll be along later to tell you about it & how she coped. Our girls can get a bit niggly with each other when they are either in season or getting over a season but luckily they don't go in for full-blown fisticuffs :wink: Sometimes separating them for a while (unless you are there to supervise) is the best solution until things calm down -unless you know that they only fall out when you're actually there.                    
Jane

Offline Nat

• Site Member
Help !!
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2004, 07:33:33 PM »
Thanks Jane

I hope it is just hormonal, as I dont want them to be fighting, after they've been getting on so well.  Steve was off work today, and said that they've been playing with one another, and India had a toy in her mouth which Grace wanted (and she took it) without any fight incurring  :?

I dont know if it happens when im not around, I havent found any cuts or nicks in any of them.  And when i've come back home, they've all been sleeping in the same arm chair .. it just seems to be when im there, i make them worse somehow  :wink:                    
Nat

Simbarra Cocker Spaniels

Offline Loraine

• Site Member
    • http://
Help !!
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2004, 07:39:42 PM »
Hi Nat

Sorry to hear that your two have fallen out.  I know how horrible and frustrating it can be.  :(   However given that the two dogs got on well beforehand, they will more than likely get along again once the season has finished and the hormones have settled down.  :)

In the end I had to keep Candy and Georgia apart at all times and I mean at all times - what a palaver!!  Like you, I could never understand what had set them off but whatever it was, the results were distressing.  You may find that you as the owner is the trigger to fights and that is just so hard to get your head round.  It was hard work but the crate was invaluable during this time!  

Towards the end of the season, I let them back together again but only very gradually; the slightest growl and one of them had to go out or in the crate I didn't want the growls to escalate into full scale war.  I took away their toys too when they were together again as I found this was a major trigger to fights.  To this day I still feed them in separate rooms.

What made it worse for me was that when Candy's season finished, Georgia's started immediately afterward so I had almost 7 weeks of tension.  At the time I didn't understand what was happening and I was bombarded with stories of bitches fighting to the death and that they would never get on again so in my frustration I made the hasty decision to re-home Georgia.   :o  Looking back I wonder what on earth I was thinking but at the time it was just so terrible I couldn't think of a way out.  Thankfully at the last minute, I was brought to my senses and I decided to keep her but that's another story!

The good news is that they are fine now.  They still squabble over certain things - chews, a particular ball, my slippers!  :D

Candy is due in again in May so I'll just have to brace myself just in case they do fall out again.  :?

Lastly, you might want to try skullcap and valerian tablets from Dorwest.com  I think the tablets did help them to calm down a bit but they do take a little while to work.

Loraine  :)                    
Loraine and Candy xxxx

Offline Nat

• Site Member
Help !!
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2004, 10:36:56 PM »
Thanks Lorraine, much appreciated., glad to know im not the only one going through this :cry:

They are separated at night, and are fed in separate rooms, but are loose during the day, I have a stair gate, so not sure if I should put one in the kitchen and one in the lounge when im not there...I dont want Grace to be howling the place down !!!!                    
Nat

Simbarra Cocker Spaniels