Author Topic: Keeping Teeth Clean  (Read 1594 times)

Offline wendy

• Site Member
    • http://www.luthame.net
Keeping Teeth Clean
« on: June 03, 2005, 04:58:17 PM »
Hi

Finley has what I would consider as a fairly soft diet so I am concerned about keeping his teeth in good condition.   I do brush them regularly but could I give him some chews that were safe (you hear some horror stories) and would help keep his teeth clean - if so what would anyone recommend.

Thanks

Wendy
Visit our new website
www.luthame.net

Dogs leave paw prints on your heart

Offline clairep4

• Site Member
  • The Two Muppeteers!
    • Chow Bella Pet Bowls
Keeping Teeth Clean
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2005, 05:13:07 PM »
I give Bella those Dentastix things sometimes - not sure how effective they are, they are very sticky so she does end up with slightly sticky paws where she has been holding them!  :rolleyes:
Claire, Bella & Zorro - the two muppeteers!
Tellington TTouch Practitioner P1
www.tellingtontouch.org.uk

Offline Mary P

• Site Member
Keeping Teeth Clean
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2005, 01:01:18 AM »
I give them both HiLife munchy rollers.
Jack's breath isn't so stinky now, so I think his dental hygene has improved!
They get one each when they are going to be left home alone - so they like seeing the back of me!! :lol:
Mary P

Please help me raise £1000 for MAGGIE'S CENTRES
Thanks!

www.justgiving.com/Mary-Cuba2015

I NEED YOUR HELP, PLEASE DONATE!!! PLEASE ASK OTHERS TO DONATE!!!

Offline Dunton4

• Site Member
Keeping Teeth Clean
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2005, 03:05:11 PM »
I have recently started brushing Tilly's teeth every day (previously 2/3 times a week) as my vet told me that was necessary to be effective.  I use a gel (think it's called Optigel or something like that)

I haven't found that any of the dental chews last long enough to be very effective (think they go down without even touching the sides  :rolleyes: !)  Fortunately Tilly loves having her teeth brushed.  I brush them at the end of the grooming session as the "nice note to end on..."  :lol:

Sue and Tilly

Offline Becky

• Site Member
    • http://
Keeping Teeth Clean
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2005, 09:38:33 PM »
Haven't foung any good chews, but the vet recently gave us Logic gel that you just put on their front teeth and no need to brush (Dan's not a fan of brushes :rolleyes:  :D ).  Apparently enzymes in it clean teeth and improve breath.  Haven't used it enough to judge effectiveness yet tho.
Love Becky, Danny and Ollie!

Offline Dunton4

• Site Member
Keeping Teeth Clean
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2005, 10:42:29 PM »
Logic gel that you just put on their front teeth and no need to brush
[snapback]131079[/snapback]

Yes!  That's the one I use with Tilly (where'd I get Optigel from?  :rolleyes: )

Sue and Tilly

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Keeping Teeth Clean
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2005, 10:46:54 PM »
I give Bella those Dentastix things sometimes - not sure how effective they are, they are very sticky so she does end up with slightly sticky paws where she has been holding them!  :rolleyes:
[snapback]130156[/snapback]

These make Molo totally hyperactive  :ph34r:  Seriously, he gets well wacky on them; just like a kid on blue smarties  :lol:

I got a brush and paste from the vet - but I don't brush them as often as I should. He does have dry complete food though; and bones, which I think helps  :unsure:
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Keeping Teeth Clean
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2005, 07:48:25 AM »
I don't rate Dentstix or Dentarasks at all. I used them daily with my old dog but they didn't help.

My 3 get their teeth brushed daily but Vegas still has a build up of tartar. I've just finished my second tub of Plaque Off but that hasn't worked. Have now started him on Fragaria 6c so fingers crossed that helps because I think I'll die of shame if I have to take my 3 year old dog into work for a dental :ph34r:
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Penel

Keeping Teeth Clean
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2005, 10:54:57 AM »
Sorry to sound like a broken record - but raw meaty bones clean teeth like nothing else possibly can. :D
Tilly is nearly 7 and her teeth are almost perfect - I say almost cos as some of you know she had this problem when she was a pup where the lower canines were crooked - they had to be straightened and extended slightly - so they are a bit stained - but certainly nothing that would need dental work at the vets.
All my other dogs are very young still, under two - so I can't say what their teeth will be like when they are older.
I had a look at a friend's 12yr old Saluki cross's teeth the other day - he is fed raw too - perfect teeth as well. :D

Offline Toohey

• Site Member
Keeping Teeth Clean
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2005, 07:20:24 AM »
Is it more difficult to get bones in UK?

My dogs get raw bones of different varieties every day. Brisket, chuck, marrow, chicken wings, frames and necks, they have beautiful white teeth and fresh breath (well, as fresh and doggy breath can be :P )

Offline Babylonian

• Site Member
    • http://
Keeping Teeth Clean
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2005, 07:18:25 PM »
Sorry to sound like a broken record - but raw meaty bones clean teeth like nothing else possibly can. :D

[snapback]131158[/snapback]

I didn't know that - Jed has dentastix - I'm sure he'd much rather have a bone...
Jed's mummy, living in Milngavie.

Penel

Keeping Teeth Clean
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2005, 09:07:28 PM »

My dogs get raw bones of different varieties every day. Brisket, chuck, marrow, chicken wings, frames and necks, they have beautiful white teeth and fresh breath (well, as fresh and doggy breath can be  )

I don't find it difficult no - but butchers are getting fewer and fewer.
Great to hear that our Aussie counterparts are bone chewers too !!!  :D

Jed has dentastix - I'm sure he'd much rather have a bone...

I'm sure he would too  :lol:  just make sure its a raw bone not a cooked or roasted one.

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
  • Look mum - no legs :)
Keeping Teeth Clean
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2005, 09:53:23 PM »

My dogs get raw bones of different varieties every day. Brisket, chuck, marrow, chicken wings, frames and necks, they have beautiful white teeth and fresh breath (well, as fresh and doggy breath can be :P )
[snapback]131320[/snapback]

Like Penel I have found a great source of bones - Free :)

Local organic farmers market. makes paying the price of the joint more bareable when he throws in a carrier bag of meaty rib bones :)
Caroline and Alfie

Offline Roba

• Site Member
Keeping Teeth Clean
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2005, 03:51:15 PM »
Cassie and Sky love getting there teeth brushed but I dont do it as often as I should,we do give them chicken wings sometimes but they dont last very long,what are the best sort of raw bones to give them to chew
Paul,Cassie and Sky