Author Topic: Loose Motions  (Read 1344 times)

Offline wendy

• Site Member
    • http://www.luthame.net
Loose Motions
« on: September 02, 2005, 12:00:23 PM »
Hi - I am still struggling to get Fin's motions firm and solid all the time and need some advice please.  His poos range from solid to loose, there is no pattern to it.  His diet has not changed in the last month, except he has some antiboticis from the vet for a week about a month ago.   A couple of weeks ago I used some pro-kolin from canine chemist and his poo's were wonderful I have been told by them that you can use it all the time, either the syringe forumla or a powder you put into water.   I was wondering if live youghurt would have the same effect or would I need to give him quite a lot????  

The problem with the slightly loose motions is that because his feathering at the back is quite long it sometime gets in the poo (sorry to be so graphic), and I have to clean him up (yuk)

Does anyone has any suggestions or has suffered with this sort of problem, I would be grateful for some advice, suggestions.

Wendy
Visit our new website
www.luthame.net

Dogs leave paw prints on your heart

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Loose Motions
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2005, 03:46:15 PM »
Molo goes through periods of loose stools - I have narrowed it down to certain (seemingly innocuous) treats/biscuits  :rolleyes:

I give Molo a Parma Ham bone once a week - which firms things up nicely  :) He has it for an hour a day for two or three evenings running (I wrap it and store it in the fridge in between) He demolishes it really well; leaving only a small piece to throw away - but they are quite salty...so I try and soak it first and make sure he's got loads of water to drink.

I have tried other types of bones, and chicken wings go down well, but marrowbone is too rich for him :(  I am going to try and get some beef ribs and see if they have the same effect  :ph34r:
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
Loose Motions
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2005, 04:55:55 PM »
I've had success with a tablespoon of live yoghurt in my dogs dinner, as he's prone to loose poos too.

I found the greatest difference was changing his food to Naturediet wet food, they are more solid than on other dry brands. You can also get probiotic powders in the health food shop, but you'd need to ask a vet how much to give.

Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Penel

Loose Motions
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2005, 09:08:45 PM »
Careful with beef rib bones - I take it you mean raw ones - my Saffy got pancreatitis after eating one once - and I know a few dogs that have been seriously constipated after eating them - beef bones are soooo hard - as generally cows are older than other animals when they are slaughtered.
Pork and lamb bones are usually softer.
I must get some of those parma ham bones and see what my crew think of them !

Offline Poppy's mum

• Site Member
    • http://
Loose Motions
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2005, 08:07:06 AM »
I have also been wondering whether to switch Poppy (12 weeks old) to Naturediet.  At the moment she is on Hills but her poo has never (and I mean never) been firm - it looks like a Mr Whippy at best and a puddle at worst!

It's hard to know what to do for the best.  I've read conflicting advice about most foods so it's difficult to know what to choose.  Apart from the runny poo, I am quite happy with Hill's but I don't think dogs are meant to eat processed, dried foods.  I have looked at the raw diet too and like the idea of that so I'm still undecided.  

Can anyone offer any advice about foods and Naturediet in particular?

Thanks
Sue.

Offline wendy

• Site Member
Loose Motions
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2005, 08:18:03 AM »
Hi - Can a diet that too high in protein give them soft poo?  Came in from training last night and he did a firm(ish) poo followed a small amount of very soft.  He ate chicken with a few bakers meaty balls (only about 7 of them) when he came in for his supper/dinner and this morning the poo was very soft.  

I am at loss.

Wendy
Visit our new website
www.luthame.net

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
Loose Motions
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2005, 09:29:56 AM »
bakers are high in additives, so maybe. This is the naturdiet website which should help

http://www.naturediet.co.uk/

Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline louisamoss

• Site Member
  • Holly and Bella
Loose Motions
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2005, 10:09:46 AM »
We have this problem here too.

I have a feeling it could be the burns food. Before that we were getting there but for a while now they have both had really runny poo's.

Its so hard to know what to do,

Good luck

Louisa x

Offline wendy

• Site Member
Loose Motions
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2005, 11:24:05 AM »
Louisa I would agree I am at utter loss as to what to do.  I am going to give him a probiotic for a few days and throw away the bakers meaty balls.  I have heard of other people's dogs having loose motions with burns.  I would really like to change him to naturediet that comes in the ready to serve packs - what would be the best way to transfer over?  Feeding has always been an issue for Fin, I struggled to find a food he would eat as a puppy, I really do not think he is keen on dried complete food - however he will ALWAYS eat cooked chicken, cooked lamb, beef - so maybe I should do my own diet.

Wendy
Visit our new website
www.luthame.net

Offline Mo

• Site Member
Loose Motions
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2005, 11:25:33 AM »
Since putting our two on Naturediet we've had no problems whatsoever - leaving it nice and easy to pick up  ;)

Offline louisamoss

• Site Member
  • Holly and Bella
Loose Motions
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2005, 07:27:33 PM »
Hi there,

I think I might try nature diet then. My two aren't fussy but won't eat dried food on its own unless they are really, really hungry. I always give them plenty but when they have already had a second helping and are still asking for more I put down just biscuits and all of a sudden they aren't hungry anymore!! Cheeky girls!

they love chicken too and also scrambled eggs!

Let me know how you all get on,

Louisaxx

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
  • Look mum - no legs :)
Loose Motions
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2005, 07:49:22 PM »
Hi there,

I think I might try nature diet then. My two aren't fussy but won't eat dried food on its own unless they are really, really hungry. I always give them plenty but when they have already had a second helping and are still asking for more I put down just biscuits and all of a sudden they aren't hungry anymore!! Cheeky girls!

they love chicken too and also scrambled eggs!

Let me know how you all get on,

Louisaxx
[snapback]144076[/snapback]

Both cooked chicken and scrambled eggs have the habit of making soft poo, esp if they are not eating the kibble
Caroline and Alfie

Offline pop

• Site Member
    • http://
Loose Motions
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2005, 08:28:43 PM »
Lulu used to have loose whippy poos.  We've changed to nature diet and they are great.  When I was trying to train her I use to give her ready made doggy treats from pet shops but these are kicked into touch too...she now gets little bits of cheddar cheese but never too much.
 Raw chicken wings from the butcher are a great idea too { I now have a bottom drawer of our freezer stuffed with them!].  

Hope this helps

Pop and a very tired little Lulu who has been on her first camping expedition in the lake district.
xx