Author Topic: Finley Been Strung By A Wasp  (Read 1257 times)

Offline wendy

• Site Member
    • http://www.luthame.net
Finley Been Strung By A Wasp
« on: September 03, 2005, 11:44:23 PM »
Hi everyone - poor Fin has been stung by a wasp in the garden, apparently he came in limping my husband looked at the bottom of his foot and there was a wasp wedge in his pad, put some vinegar on it - but he seems quite subdued - Oh I hope he is going to be ok and I was just about to fall asleep - that's me awake all night then worring.  Anybody have any good advice?????

Wendy
Visit our new website
www.luthame.net

Dogs leave paw prints on your heart

Offline PennyB

« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2005, 11:55:09 PM »
When Ruby was stung by a bee my vet practice suggested keeping an eye on her for about an hour afterwards.

Finlay is probably feeling a bit sore or shocked by it all and sorry for himself (in the way only cockers can) but unless there's anything else that happens that becomes a worry to you within the next hour he'll probably be OK.

If in doubt I always ring our emergency vet (and info is free (we have a 24-h emergency practice that serves a number of practices in the area so there's always a vet there so I don't have to worry about getting one out of bed to ask a question no matter how stupid I think it is).
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline wendy

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2005, 11:57:50 PM »
Hi Penny - thanks for the advice - I have rung the vet as I never had dog that has been stung before - I think he is feeling very sorry for himself as he is having a cuddle on my husband lap - I will keep an eye on him for the next hour and then hopefully go to bed - It would be today - especially as we did a companion show and he won best in show.

Wendy
Visit our new website
www.luthame.net

Offline PennyB

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2005, 12:29:12 AM »
It would be today - especially as we did a companion show and he won best in show.

Wendy
[snapback]144100[/snapback]

Congrats on best in show.

Friends of Hailey Park

Offline wendy

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2005, 08:43:55 AM »
Thanks penny - worken up this morning and Fin seems fine - not holding his foot up - will not walk him this morning just in case - give him a rest.  Poor boy he did feel sorry for himself, however it did not stop him jumping onto the bed in the middle of the night.  All I got now is a smelly vinegar foot - my husband filled a pot of vinegar and plunged his foot into it last night - fish and chips keep coming to mind!!!!!!!!!

Wendy
Visit our new website
www.luthame.net

Offline Josilou

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2005, 08:47:52 AM »
Thanks penny - worken up this morning and Fin seems fine - not holding his foot up - will not walk him this morning just in case - give him a rest.  Poor boy he did feel sorry for himself, however it did not stop him jumping onto the bed in the middle of the night.  All I got now is a smelly vinegar foot - my husband filled a pot of vinegar and plunged his foot into it last night - fish and chips keep coming to mind!!!!!!!!!

Wendy
[snapback]144106[/snapback]

Sorry to hear he was stung.  I got stung myself last week by a wasp, inside my mouth (don't ask) and immediately headed for vinegar ... it didn't do anything to help whatsoever and I was v.disappointed.  What helped the most was ice.

Offline wendy

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2005, 09:49:27 AM »
That must have been very very painful.  I put an ice pack on Fin foot too so maybe that helped too.

He does seem fine now looking to go for a walk.

Wendy
Visit our new website
www.luthame.net

Offline Babylonian

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2005, 12:27:07 PM »
Yes I think ice or very cold water is one of the best things you can do - Jed was stung a few weeks ago on his face (looked like a bulldog  :(  ).  Soaking a teatowel and wrapping it round his head really helped.
Jed's mummy, living in Milngavie.

Offline PennyB

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2005, 09:31:02 PM »
Also I think you can give dogs piriton which is useful for a mild reaction to stings etc.
Friends of Hailey Park

Offline clairep4

• Site Member
  • The Two Muppeteers!
    • Chow Bella Pet Bowls
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2005, 09:43:48 PM »
Bella was stung by a bee just by her nose a few weeks ago - we put a bite/sting cream onto it (after taking the sting out) and that seemed to help. In the Bruce Fogle dog care book it says to apply a hydrocortisone cream if you have any, and bicarb of soda for bee stings, vinegar for wasp stings, and an ice pack if possible.

Bella was subdued (a bit shaky and seemed to almost fall asleep at one point) for about half an hour but then seemed okay apart from looking a bit odd!
Claire, Bella & Zorro - the two muppeteers!
Tellington TTouch Practitioner P1
www.tellingtontouch.org.uk

Offline JaneES

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2005, 10:02:17 PM »
Glad Fin is okay.   Both my boys have an obsession with Flies! They love to catch them and of course dont know much difference between flies and wasps or bees so I always have Piriton in the house or in the show bag just in case!
Had to use it a couple of weeks ago as I caught Oliver shaking his head frantically then a bee appearing at his side! Gave him a Piriton to be on the safe side, but he was ok.
Jane (owned by Charlie, Frankie,Jaymae & Callum)

Offline daftcockers

• Site Member
    • http://www.chaysonniecockers.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2005, 01:13:22 PM »
Hi,
Archie got stung whilst we were away in Ireland, but unfortunatly it became infected and he had to have a steriod injection, an antibiotic injection, tablets and powder. His face and ear (where he had been stung swelled up to about 3 times the size and at one point his face was that swollen you could hardly see his eyes, he looked like a puffa fish :( ,. Hes now on the mend :D .

PS vets were much cheaper in Southern Ireland than over here
WWW.CHAYSONNIECOCKERS.CO.UK

Thanks susan and the gang

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2005, 01:25:16 PM »
Hope you stocked up on all the essentials while you were there then Susan  ;)

Offline Silver Surfer (indiesnan)

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2005, 02:55:17 PM »
Hi,
Archie got stung whilst we were away in Ireland, but unfortunatly it became infected and he had to have a steriod injection, an antibiotic injection, tablets and powder. His face and ear (where he had been stung swelled up to about 3 times the size and at one point his face was that swollen you could hardly see his eyes, he looked like a puffa fish :( ,. Hes now on the mend :D .

PS vets were much cheaper in Southern Ireland than over here
[snapback]144278[/snapback]
:o Oh my goodness  poor Archie,  give him a gentle squish from me Susan.   :wub:
* Barb & Nell * ~~He who claims he knows, knows nothing. He who claims nothing knows~~