Author Topic: Help! Fudge has a tick!!  (Read 1514 times)

Offline fudgesmammy

• Site Member
    • http://
Help! Fudge has a tick!!
« on: June 04, 2004, 07:10:10 PM »
Fudge has a tick. I only just found it and it's whole head is inside her. What do I do????                    
Eilidh, Fudge and Harry

Offline LindaW

• Site Member
    • http://www.shandardel-cockers.co.uk
Help! Fudge has a tick!!
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2004, 07:18:04 PM »
Dab it with alcohol (meths or gin whatever is available!), wait a few minutes and then get some eyebrow tweezers and yank it out taking care that you don't leave any behind.  Alternatively if you have some Frontline spray then spray that on and it will die.                    
Linda
xx
Jodie, Pippa, Daisy, Lolly, Gem, Tigger, Butty, Fanny and Coco!

Offline fudgesmammy

• Site Member
Help! Fudge has a tick!!
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2004, 07:36:08 PM »
I did that. How do I know if I got it all? It had a tiny black bit on the top end that came out- It was really really not wanting to come out- I had to pull sooo hard!
It had two sticky out sucky things on the bit that had been inside her- is that it's whole head. I felt around the place it came out of and it was as if she had a big spot- I could feel a little bit of a lump under her skin. Do I need to sqeeze this?
She doesn't like ticks!
Thanks                    
Eilidh, Fudge and Harry

Offline Sarah_S

• Site Member
    • kennel coruscant
Help! Fudge has a tick!!
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2004, 08:07:19 PM »
You've got everything out. You can buy a special ticktweezer to putll them out with. If you pull too hard with a normal tweezer you might split the tick up in two, but don't worry you've got it all out this time.

Don't squeeze the lump. Some dogs has an allergic reaction to ticks just like some humans has to moskitos, fleas, bees etc. and therefore they develop a lump.

Btw I took 4 out of my red cocker today, 2 of my black cocker and 3 of my newfie. I'm an expert in ticks  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
I live next door to the forest and we have loads of ticks. Bvadr!!!!!!  :x                    
Coruscant cockers and newfies
with homepage, now also in English.....

Offline fudgesmammy

• Site Member
Help! Fudge has a tick!!
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2004, 08:14:36 PM »
thank you!
This was our first tick in 2 years. An amazing feat considering we also live right next to the woods and Fudge loves undergrowth. She also loves swimming so maybe she's always managed to wash them off before they attach themselves?!!?
I was scratching away at it for days thinking it was a little spot and nothing to get worried about! Doh!!                    
Eilidh, Fudge and Harry

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
Help! Fudge has a tick!!
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2004, 09:04:23 AM »
I got deja vu reading this.  I found a tick on our settee recently.  Hadn't a clue what it was, thought it was a seed until I turned it over.  It had fed off Chloe and then dropped off.  Still being a dumb ass, I kept picking it up and turning it over in my hand.  Until I spotted all the legs :shock:   Still being dumb, I thought it was dead until a friend looked at it, shrieked and put her foot on it.  Chloe had a lump too but what I was told was to keep an eye on it and if it started to get bigger then take her for an antibiotic injection as there may be infection there.  For once in her life, she didn't catch anything and the lump had shrunk plenty next day.  My friend showed me the tick remover, apparently you just get as close to the head as possible, clamp down and turn slowly.  Aye, the tick remover, not you :D  :D                    
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Help! Fudge has a tick!!
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2004, 01:48:07 PM »
yuck - disgusting things ticks. I've been lucky and the boys have never had one. I remember on holiday once with my bro in law, on a sunday going for a long walk in grass with their Border Collie and poor thing came back absolutely covered with ticks. I'd never seen anything like it.

Fortunately a local vet agreed to see them as an emergency and she was totally doused with Frontaline and stuff. They did die and drop off but the are vile creatures.

Well done you for managing to get it all out in one go.                    
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline Michele

• Site Member
Help! Fudge has a tick!!
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2004, 08:08:26 PM »
I've got one of these in my grooming kit. I find it works really well, and you don't have to touch the little critters
http://www.otom.com/

Have only ever had to remove one from one of my own dogs, but very occasionally I've found them whilst grooming other dogs.                    

Offline fudgesmammy

• Site Member
Help! Fudge has a tick!!
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2004, 11:03:45 PM »
Oooh! They look excellent!
I think we'll get one of those.
Fudge has been out rolling in the garden in her own poo!!!! :shock:
Perhaps she's trying to stick out that tick?!                    
Eilidh, Fudge and Harry

Offline gingermart

• Site Member
Help! Fudge has a tick!!
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2004, 10:53:18 PM »
My Rufus had some ticks on him and we bought some tick spray to get them off,within an hour they had come off(about 4 small one's).But a larger one remained,about the size of the Emoticons  :)
   It was quite late so we covered the tick in vaseline and went to bed thinking it would be a trip to the vets but no the next morning it was still there,it had withdrew its mouth from poor Rufus's skin and suffocated.Apparently it takes about 2 hours to suffocate :shock:
     Dogs are more likely to get them if they have been where sheep are or have been,the same with Deer has well.                    

Offline Shirley

• Site Member
Help! Fudge has a tick!!
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2004, 06:29:58 PM »
Yeeeuuuchhhhh!  I hate these little critters :x  .  Morgan has only ever had two which is quite surprising considering the number of sheep and the long grass round here.  I've got a tick picker but it's different to the one that Michele has - it's like a bit of wire looped and attached to a plastic handle, does the job without having to touch the creepy crawlies  :lol:                    
Shirley, Morgan and Cooper
Morgan's Page                                  Videos of my boys