Author Topic: Overheating  (Read 2620 times)

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
Overheating
« on: June 07, 2004, 03:33:22 PM »
Daisy, like many cockers, always struggles in the heat. I thought it might be a good idea for people to share their tips on how they help their cockers deal with the heat :D

My tip for travelling in the car (but works anywhere else too) - fill an empty bottle with water and put it in the freezer - give it to your dogs to lie on :P                    

Offline PennyB

Overheating
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2004, 04:13:04 PM »
Am going to buy a cheap kids paddling pool for my 2 to play in in the garden!                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Michele

• Site Member
Overheating
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2004, 04:23:12 PM »
Replace bedding with dampened towels, in the car or at home. Change them regualrly though as body heat can soon warm them through. :D                    

Offline Anita

• Site Member
  • Phoebe 21/8/02 - 1/11/16, Libby (2/4/05 - 25/11/16
Overheating
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2004, 04:38:18 PM »
I remembered the ice cubes from last year and gave Phoebe a couple yesterday as it was sooooo hot. She loved them.

Tomorrow is going to be a scorcher so I think I'll do the bottle of water in the fridge idea a go. (Also keep them somewhere cool durting the day and take them out later).                    
Anita

Offline maureen

• Site Member
Overheating
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2004, 04:51:19 PM »
Is there a problem with the heat and Cockers?  I live in Turkey and Cooper is now 10 months old and this is his first proper summer.  It is around 84 here now and for the last week he has been off his food, running a temperature and just laying about and unenthusiastic about anything until around 9.30 at night when it cools down and then he is back to his old self again.  I took him to the vet last week who injected him for 3 days with antibiotics for his temperature, but he made very little improvement so I have just come back for seeing the vet again, who confirmed he has a temperature, and he has taken a blood test which I ran up to the laboratory and am awaiting the results which will be back tomorrow...but could it just be the heat?  My husband says I am just keeping out vet rich!                    

Offline Silver Surfer (indiesnan)

• Site Member
Overheating
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2004, 05:45:20 PM »
Weve bought Nell a childrens shell sandpit, which we fill with water. She still insists on staying in the garden no matter how hot it gets.  :roll:    We usualy wet her with the garden hose, we put the nozzel on spray, and she loves it.  :D
She also has ice cubes in her water. We try not to take her in the car when its very hot though.

Another tip is, not to walk them in the heat,  between 12 and  3, if you have to, try and walk weres there's plenty of shade. :)                    
* Barb & Nell * ~~He who claims he knows, knows nothing. He who claims nothing knows~~

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
Overheating
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2004, 05:58:19 PM »
Indie has really felt the heat today, have kept her as cool as possible, but as our house in southfacing it does get really hot in here :roll:   I just did a quick search and found these fab doggie cool beds :D  only trouble is its USA webpage, does anyone know if you can get these in the UK?

Heres the link

http://www.sherbertstuff.com/products.html                    

Offline Louis

• Site Member
Overheating
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2004, 06:42:19 PM »
Well Louis seems to take after his mam and loves the sun, he is always lying in it and never seems bothered about lying in the shade.  He went missing for a few mins yesterday, when I looked in the back garden, there he was lying on my sun lounger, I had to pick him up and sit him on my knee, just so I could sit on it. :lol:  :lol:
Can't even sun bathe in peace 8)

Gemma&Louis                    

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Overheating
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2004, 07:06:51 PM »
The bizarre thing with mine is that Buddy - Orange Roan - mainlt white - hates the sun - loves the shade. Jasper VERY dark blue roan - lot of black - likes the sun :?  see my boys are barking!!

A paddling pool with water is excellent for them - and you can add a bit of all in one shampoo conditioner too - gives them a bit of a bath at the same time :wink:                    
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
Overheating
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2004, 09:00:35 PM »
Emma

Have just seen 'Body cooler pet mat' on hubint.com which looks similar                    
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
Overheating
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2004, 10:40:47 PM »
Don't fib Barb...that kids paddling pool is for you really  :wink:  :lol:

Butty doesn't really seem to suffer to much...I give her ice cubes, which she loves, but she does insist on lying in the sun  :roll:                    

Offline Sandie

• Site Member
    • http://
Overheating
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2004, 11:33:37 PM »
Hi,

I have got a couple of canine coolers that you fill with water. Fantastic at keeping the dogs cool especially at dog shows in this weather. Only drawback is that they make the cage heavy as they contain about a gallon of water.  I also have a couple of cage fans from Hub international, but i think most of the doggy places sell them now.

I got my canine coolers from Marlin at one of the champ shows, but they do take orders online at http://www.marlinpetproducts.com/ Don't leave them in the car or the heat all the time as it can harden the outer plastic cover.

If my dogs are still a bit warm, i bought one of those standard fans and i put it in the kitchen where they sleep and its on all night. You would be surprised to see where i find them in the morning. Right where the air is blowing the most, sprawled out like they haven't got a care in the world.

If anyone wants to see a canine cooler, there will be one in Wesley's cage at Three Counties on Monday.

Hope this helps,

Sandie, Aimee and Wesley                    

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
Overheating
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2004, 08:18:59 AM »
Indie really seems to struggle with the heat, pants a lot and breathes quickly.

It used to worry me, but it's what he does.                    
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline Silver Surfer (indiesnan)

• Site Member
Overheating
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2004, 09:02:10 AM »
Don't fib Barb...that kids paddling pool is for you really  :wink:  :lol:

Flippen eck Gilly, so my secrets out , you been peeping over our fence. :wink:  :lol:                    
* Barb & Nell * ~~He who claims he knows, knows nothing. He who claims nothing knows~~

Offline Luvlylady

• Site Member
Overheating
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2004, 12:03:00 AM »
bell seems ok in the heat well she dosent seem to go funny or quite  but she does pant alot so i get my leave in conditioner spray bottle fill it up with water and a drop of conditioner and keep spraying close to the skin it seems to cool her down quickley , icecubs are good too , bella always takes them to bed on her blanket to hide them  :roll: when shes had enough  :lol:
I heard that some people put wet face cloths in the freezer in freezer bags unwrap them and the dog can suck it . quite good for pups teething too , make sure they go in the washer before you freeze em again hehe :wink: