Author Topic: phantom prgnancies  (Read 1604 times)

Offline Will

• Site Member
    • http://
phantom prgnancies
« on: June 09, 2004, 08:49:11 PM »
our 11 month old has recently had her first season, which ended around six weeks ago. Since then her nipples have remained very swollen, she is very aggressive with other dogs (which is a new thing as she always wanted to play with everything and everyone before). She is also off of her food and is dragging her her bedding around the house more than usual.
 We have taken her to the vet recently about another problem and mentioned it to him. I suggested a phantom pregnancy but he didn't feel that it was. has anyone got any ideas?? :?:
 :lol:                    

Offline PennyB

phantom prgnancies
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2004, 09:18:03 PM »
Sounds like one to me as I can't think of anything else.                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
phantom prgnancies
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2004, 10:33:43 PM »
Sounds like a classic phantom pregnancy to me too - not sure why your vet doesn't think so :? I would make sure your girl gets plenty of exercise to take her mind off those hormones & don't allow her to put on weight (though as she isn't eating, that probably won't be a problem :wink:) There are 2 useful homeopathic remedies for phantoms - Pulsatilla & Sepia. Pusatilla suits the more laid-back submissive type of personality whereas Sepia is more for your bossy, grumpy types :lol: There is also a veterinary drug Galastop which can be prescribed by your vet although my preference is for alternative remedies where possible.

Jane                    
Jane

Offline PennyB

phantom prgnancies
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2004, 12:22:37 AM »
A friend's cav recently had a phantom complete with producing milk, but all the vet suggested was unless it was becoming a problem for the dog then just leave it. Cassie sailed through it without a whimper, while everyone else fretted.                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline LindaW

• Site Member
    • http://www.shandardel-cockers.co.uk
phantom prgnancies
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2004, 03:56:07 PM »
I was reading in the Dorwest brochure that Raspberry Leaf Tablets are effective in the prevention of phantom pregnancy.
Has anyone used this remedy with success?  they recommend that bitches prone to this condition should be given the recommended preventative does from the first sign of coming into season and continued for 12 weeks as a preventative measure. :D                    
Linda
xx
Jodie, Pippa, Daisy, Lolly, Gem, Tigger, Butty, Fanny and Coco!

Offline *-Nikki-*

• Site Member
    • www.nicibec-cockers.moonfruit.com
phantom prgnancies
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2004, 05:17:10 PM »
I was reading in the Dorwest brochure that Raspberry Leaf Tablets are effective in the prevention of phantom pregnancy.Has anyone used this remedy with success?  they recommend that bitches prone to this condition should be given the recommended preventative does from the first sign of coming into season and continued for 12 weeks as a preventative measure. :D

I also had a look at one of their brochures and they recommend raspberry left tablets for a lot of conditions. Cannot remember very well...  :roll:  :roll:  :roll: (It was about 6 years ago) but I think we were advise by Dorwest to use raspberry leaf tablets when our Chloe when she was about 9 months old - she had a phantom.                    

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
phantom prgnancies
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2004, 08:26:26 PM »
I also thought that Raspberry Leaf was good for bitches in whelp...although I could be wrong here  :wink:  I know that it is a popular alternative rememdy in humans whilst pregnant, supposedly reducing the length of labour  :wink:  I drank Raspberry Leaf tea the last 6 weeks of my pregnancy and had a 2 hour (almost painfree) labour...so maybe the theory is true  :?:

Just found this on the Dorwest website...

Due to its action as a uterine tonic, this well known birth aid has been used for hundreds of years to help ensure an easy and straightforward delivery. Many bitches and queens who have previously experienced problems have subsequently had normal easy births with the aid of this tablet. The tablets should be given from the third week of gestation and continued until one week after delivery to help ensure complete afterbirth expulsion.

Offline LindaW

• Site Member
    • http://www.shandardel-cockers.co.uk
phantom prgnancies
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2004, 11:57:51 AM »
I wish I'd known about that Raspberry Tea when I had my kids Gilly!  I will say no more                    
Linda
xx
Jodie, Pippa, Daisy, Lolly, Gem, Tigger, Butty, Fanny and Coco!

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
phantom prgnancies
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2004, 01:47:37 PM »
I wish I'd known about with my 1st child  :wink:  :lol:                    

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
phantom prgnancies
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2004, 06:55:59 PM »
Slightly off topic I know, but raspberry leaf tea didn't speed up my 19 hour labour (nor did any of the other wonderful 'natural' remedies)

However, as a uterine tonic I think the theory is that it ensures that the appropriate natural balance is maintained/established - so in whelping bitches it assists labuor, and in phantom pregancies it helps re-establish the non-pregnant norm!                    
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Laura

• Site Member
phantom prgnancies
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2004, 07:23:58 PM »
I took raspberry leaf tablets last trimester of my 2nd and 3rd pregnancies - within 10 minutes of a tablet the Braxton Hicks contractions were so strong - My midwife said that is what the tablets do - increase practise contrations to tone the uterus in preparation for labour- almost pain free labours here too - not quicker though.                    
Laura x

Run free together boys. Missing you both xx
Bailey  29/04/04 - 16/03/11
Brogan 29/07/03 - 22/10/09