Author Topic: Am I over reacting my dog of 18 months went for someone  (Read 2431 times)

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
Re: Am I over reacting my dog of 18 months went for someone
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2006, 05:49:28 PM »
You do need to be on your guard though because lots of people see a Cocker and think "how cute" then don't even ask just put their hands out  >:D

Completely agree. Some people just don't think that a dog may not be comfortable with being stroked. Today on my way home I stopped at the motorway services and there was a guy there with a gorgeous springer. Of course I had to go over and say hello  :shades: but before I stroked the dog I asked if he was friendly, the owner gave me the funniest look and burst out laughing and said " Well I sho uld hope so yes!" he thought it was a silly thing to ask and just took the mikey a bit. As a dog owner it obviously didn't occur to him that it's good manners to ask before stroking and that not all dogs are comfortable with the situation  :-\

Glad to hear you may have found a reason for his off mood  ;)

Offline DennyK

• Site Member
    • http://
Re: Am I over reacting my dog of 18 months went for someone
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2006, 09:22:36 PM »
Paddy always flinches if someone he doesn't know very well comes at him head on with hands outstretched.  If he's off-lead, he just dodges away.  If he's on lead, he flinches and looks worried.

The difference is that, on lead, a dog has fewer options to choose a reaction from - he can't run away if he's scared - so is more likely to escalate to a growl or a snarl and snap - in Zack's case, this "imprisoned" reaction would have been exacerbated by having the ear infection.

poor dog - hope he's better soon.

Denise