Author Topic: A long and rambling behaviour question......  (Read 3409 times)

Penel

Re: A long and rambling behaviour question......
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2007, 11:10:31 PM »
That's the balance, you still want them to have their spirit.  Some people overtrain so much that the poor dogs are like flipping robots.  They train the life out of em, I've seen it a lot  :-\  which is why I love taking other people's dogs to work, cos I don't care how naughty they are, if they have spirit, and like food or toys, getting them to work is no problem !

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2007, 12:18:23 AM »
That's the balance, you still want them to have their spirit.  Some people overtrain so much that the poor dogs are like flipping robots.  They train the life out of em, I've seen it a lot  :-\  which is why I love taking other people's dogs to work, cos I don't care how naughty they are, if they have spirit, and like food or toys, getting them to work is no problem !

That's so true Penel. I've seen a lot of working gundogs which are technically extremely well trained but which seem to have had most of their spirit trained right out of them  :-\  Some are even quite cowed, although this isn't surprising sometimes considering some of the 'training' methods I have heard about some people using  >:D  I have to control some aspects of Alfie's behaviour for his own safety (and also that of any horseriders we may happen to meet  ::)) but I am glad he has so much spirit and life and I would never, ever want to dampen that. He is so enthusiastic and full of joie de vivre, he really is a joy to watch  :luv: 

Sorry Ben's Mum, I have totally hijacked your thread here. I would love to meet Ben though, it seems like he is also a strong minded boy who knows what he likes to do and really gets into the things that he enjoys  :D
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline patti

• Site Member
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2007, 04:59:19 PM »

I get sick and tired of people with their comments and their perfect dogs. It's so so easy for those with problem free dogs to chirp on at us problem dog owners about how we should be doing this and that, it really really irritates me  >:(

Not all problem dogs are caused by their owners   ::) .

Well said !!!!  totally agree

Offline patti

• Site Member
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2007, 05:03:14 PM »
Ooops!  Help!  How do you take a quote and put it in a purple box?  Tried taking quote from Jan/Billy as I totally agree but it's not in a purple box!  As you can tell, I'm not good with technology!!

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2007, 05:06:49 PM »
Ooops!  Help!  How do you take a quote and put it in a purple box?  Tried taking quote from Jan/Billy as I totally agree but it's not in a purple box!  As you can tell, I'm not good with technology!!

You need to make sure you don't delete the "quote" details from the start and end of the post which you are quoting ;)

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2007, 04:36:55 PM »
Happened to find this article by Jean Donaldson that I thought was pertinent to the original question:

http://www.animalbehavior.net/PUBLIC/CesarMillan_JeanDonaldson.htm
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2007, 05:09:40 PM »
thank you for all your comments,
the Jean Donaldson article is food for thought!
I've also just recieved my copy of the culture clash, so me thinks I need to do some reading ;)

Bens mum

Offline DennyK

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2007, 08:08:00 PM »
Ben 'bites' in different situations - if we try to stop him doing something he wants to ie. guarding something nasty he has found on a walk , he rumbles and shows his teeth as a warning before lunging at us (did you see the little dog on underdog with the cheese?) that is exactly how Ben would respond in that situation, then I would yell at him for being 'agresssive', and try to stop the behaviour, the biting at agility is different so i treat it differenly - perhaps I shouldn't??? that seems to me to be over excited, grabbing and nipping, however it hursts, bruises and on occasion breaks the skin - but that is the only situation he does that, he will also go into a play bow as if its rough and tumble play does that make sense? I
Jan - I know you've been through some of these issues with Billy - our boys  :luv: you've gotta love them but they do work us hard  >:D  I never guessed dog ownership would be like this, but I wouldn't change it for the world!!  I like the sound of a behaviour course -but one look at Ben and I'd get kicked off ;)

Bens mum

You'll have a few lightbulb moments when reading "The Culture Clash" - and you'll learn how to deal with the food/resource guarding from that book too.

I've got plenty of issues with Paddy which ebb and flow too so I really identify with your "90% of the time" comment!  I guess the consistent rule you've got to have (although enforced/reinforced in different ways, depending on the situation and context) is that biting is never acceptable.  If it's a food/resource guarding response - Jean Donaldson's book will explain the behaviour and the slow but steady and positive solution for training that out of Ben's repertoire.  When it's excitement - again, it's not acceptable for him to lay teeth on you, but it's a different cause for him so you deal with it differently.  With Paddy, if he growls, then someone gets in his face with a telling off, they will escalate it, no submissive behaviours, just more rumbling sounding meaner.  He doesn't do this with me but he does with someone who gets in his face (then again, I don't shout at him - curse the little sod under my breath quite often, but try to avoid shouting! >:D >:D).

One thing I'd raise - and I can't say, through my own inexperience and also because I haven't seen Ben - but "play bowing" isn't always an invitation to play.  Sometimes it's used as a stage in escalating aggression, albeit rarely.  Sounds like Ben's context is an invitation to play but try watching out for it next time with this in mind.  I've spotted Paddy doing this a couple of times with someone who shouts at him - they assume it's a play bow, part of being submissive/defusing the situation - but I can see it's a stage in getting close to saying "sod off" with a growl, so I intervene.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Denise

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2007, 09:44:02 PM »
thank you for all your comments,
the Jean Donaldson article is food for thought!
I've also just recieved my copy of the culture clash, so me thinks I need to do some reading ;)

Bens mum

She also wrote a book called "Mine!" about guarding that you can get on Amazon  ;)
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2007, 09:55:57 PM »

One thing I'd raise - and I can't say, through my own inexperience and also because I haven't seen Ben - but "play bowing" isn't always an invitation to play.  Sometimes it's used as a stage in escalating aggression, albeit rarely.  Sounds like Ben's context is an invitation to play but try watching out for it next time with this in mind.  I've spotted Paddy doing this a couple of times with someone who shouts at him - they assume it's a play bow, part of being submissive/defusing the situation - but I can see it's a stage in getting close to saying "sod off" with a growl, so I intervene.

Denise

I've seen Ben do this when he is guarding something !  But at agility I can see he thinks its a game !!!  Quite often he will bow, just before running off just out of reach or having a manic run round - I know that by going up to him he feels he is being rewarded and I am 'playing' and me chasing him to try to throttle him  ;) is just a game, the easiest thing would be to ealk away and not reward him, but its hard at agility as there is usually someone else wanting to use the equipment and some people don't mind giving you time but others want you out the way pronto!!!!

Bens mum