Author Topic: Eating you know what  (Read 2908 times)

Offline Joules

• Administrator
Re: Eating you know what
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2008, 06:46:04 PM »
Sorry to resurrect old topics of such yicky content but I'm going spare at the amount of poo my little sweetness is eating. I counted at lunch and in a 15 minute walk he ate a total of 17 dog poos (that I noticed). I can't bear to keep him on the lead because he loves his off lead time and playing fetch etc but THIS CANNOT GO ON!!!! I know its considered normal for a dog to .. I think the proper term is 'coprophagia' but surely this is a little excessive. I'd hate to think how much he might eat over his three daily walks.

He is being wormed monthly already because of this habit but I am wondering if I should change his diet or muzzle him or something? (would really rather avoid muzzling, a friend suggested this and I can't think that this is a good enough solution). Has anyone else had this problem to this extent and dealt with it effectively???

Blimey, that's a lot of poo  :o  Coco used to do this but not to this extent.  The only thing that I found worked was to distract her with a firm "No" and a tasty (non-poo) treat   ::)  Eventually, she gave up eating it and though she will still have a good sniff at poos she comes across on a walk, she will leave it when I tell her.  :D  Basically, the answer is to teach a good "leave" and use a distraction like a treat or a toy.  ;) May take a while though and she will still eat horse or rabbit poo if she finds any but I don't mind that so much  :shades:  :005:
Julie and Watson

Offline sabrino

• Site Member
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2008, 04:37:39 PM »
Hmmm I think the 'leave it' needs working on. Its annoying coz he'll leave his favorite treat if I tell him to but if I tell him to leave it for poo he will just scoff it down quicker and then come for his reward  >:(   Little devil.  :005:
Sabrina, Milo & Lupin x

Offline ehenry

• Site Member
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2008, 06:18:43 PM »
Our first cocker Roddy was a little :angel:, however he was a little >:D when it came to poo eating(his own!) We were advised as soon as he pooed to splash it with tobasco sauce :005: of course it will put you off it for life, but it did work ;) Have heard the pineapple one too, might be a bit better for everyone concerned. Good luck...one day you will laugh about it :lol:

Offline DennyK

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2008, 11:17:05 AM »
It is often a sign of vitamin B12 deficiency as well: get some lamb's liver or lamb's kidney and add 10g to each meal (assumes two meals = 20g per day).  See if it stops within a week or so.  Combine it with the "leave" command, as it can (even if you've treated the deficiency) become habitual...

Good luck.

Denise

Offline sabrino

• Site Member
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2008, 05:33:13 PM »
It is often a sign of vitamin B12 deficiency as well: get some lamb's liver or lamb's kidney and add 10g to each meal (assumes two meals = 20g per day).  See if it stops within a week or so.  Combine it with the "leave" command, as it can (even if you've treated the deficiency) become habitual...

Good luck.

Denise

Thank-you I will give the liver a try and work more on leave it! Do I feed the liver raw or baked?
Sabrina, Milo & Lupin x