Author Topic: Baby Bertie is on his way...  (Read 1399 times)

Offline RowanandRachel

• Site Member
Baby Bertie is on his way...
« on: June 22, 2004, 03:47:54 PM »
Following the death of our 16 yr old dog Millie a few weeks ago there is now huge excitement in the house as a new boy Baby Bertie will be joining us next month aged 9 weeks.
We are already getting carried away and have bought a cage to provide somewhere quiet and safe (not least from our 17 month old urban terrorist of a son Oliver). We were sold this particular cage for £80 on the understanding that it is really tough and safe (even in the car in case of a prang). It appears to be from the 'Alcatraz Pet Range' by the look of it.
I presume that stocking it with familiar smelling stuff from Berite's Mum would be sensible?
We would also appreciate a good book to use (Gwen Bailey's name seems to appear regularly).
Finally (you will be glad to hear) does anyone know of any good classes around S.Glos in order to tame our beast? (I refer to Bertie of course not Oliver...but now I think of it.... :wink: )                    

Offline correna

• Site Member
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2004, 03:53:18 PM »
Hi where are you getting bertie from only we are getting our black pup this week  from a breeder and I know one of her pups has been named Bertie by its new owners. If he is from the same breeder we also live in south glos, maybe we could meet for "Walkies" :wink:                    
Correna & Bailey

Offline lizzy

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2004, 04:23:42 PM »
Hi Rowan and Rachel,

Congratulations on finding little Bertie, I bet you can't wait?!

The book by Gwen Bailey is called  " The Perfect Puppy " I think it would be a brill idea to get it ASAP, so you will have a bit of spare time to read it before Bertie arrives, ( not that you'll have that much spare time with a 17 month old! :lol: )

Lots of kitchen towels are a must too, for all those little accidents! :wink:

That's a good idea of yours to bring some of the bedding from the breeder to put in his crate, if it's not to far from you, you could take a towel to her a week before, so it's all nice and smelly of his mum and then collect it when you bring Bertie home! :wink:

Lizzy Molly and Evie                    

Lizzy Molly and Evie

Offline Andrea L

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2004, 05:05:22 PM »
You must be reaaly excited.I know I was whilst waiting for Silas .
I agree with Lizzy, stock up on those kitchen rolls, you'll use loads :roll:
Silas came from a breeder who didn't have children and has come into a 'mad house' with a 3, 5 and 8 year old (NOT a quiet peaceful environment by any means) and  I was aliitle concerned that it would be a big shock for him but it hasn't phased him at all,so dont worry about Oliver.Bertie will love him.
Dont forget to post a piccie as soon as you can, we all want to see the new member of the COL gang. :D                    
lots of woofs n' licks,
Andrea, Silas and Marley

Offline Pipers Mummy

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2004, 05:16:04 PM »
Congratulations and I am looking forward to seeing picies of Baby Bertie (love the name!)  :D

Louise                    
Cocker Kisses from Louise & Piper xxx

Offline Silver Surfer (indiesnan)

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2004, 08:51:40 PM »
Congratulations, its  not long to go now. Can't wait to see the first piccies.  :D                    
* Barb & Nell * ~~He who claims he knows, knows nothing. He who claims nothing knows~~

Offline Sheila

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2004, 09:39:08 PM »
Oooooh...I bet you are all really excited.

Please post piccies as soon as you are able to.                    

Offline JoHarborne

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2004, 07:37:39 AM »
Hi Rachel!!  Great news about the imminent arrival of Bertie!!!  

I'm a new owner, Woody has been with us for nearly 3 weeks now, and I'm not sure what I can say to prepare you for the havoc that is about to hit your home!!!   :wink: A lot of hardwork admittedly but the good moments definitely make up for the bad!

We've found Gwen Bailey's book a lifeline as Woody is our first ever dog.  Kitchen rolls - check!!  Getting through at least one a day!!  :lol:  My other advice would be to log on here regularly for support, especially if you have a bad day - there's always somebody around to offer some advice and make you laugh!!  And don't be afraid to pop Bertie in his pen for some "time out" - for you as well as him.  The best advice we were given was to show love and kindness in those first few frightening days for him and not to worry about anything else.  

Oh - and earplugs!!!  Definitely come in handy for those through-the-night "little chats" that he might want to have with you!!!!   :roll:

Good luck and keep in touch!                    
Jo, Woody\'s owner

Offline PennyB

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2004, 09:36:08 AM »
Glad you've taken the plunge in the end.

Don't forget you need to carry on with socializing from day 1 when you get him home. Just because you can't put him down on the ground outside you can still take him out as often as possible to introduce him to the big wide world and what it offers. My two were taken out on socializing expeditions all summer long and where raring to to go once I could take them for a walk.                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline RowanandRachel

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2004, 10:46:55 AM »
Baby Bertie is coming to us from The forest of Dean and home for us is in Wickwar S. Glos. so any keen walking companions are gratefully received by Rachel (not least 'cos I will be at work all day).
We are going to try and track down a copy of "Perfect Puppy" and are otherwise surveying our house 6 inches off the ground to see what mischief Bertie is likely to get into. Obvious targets already include our rocking chair and mahogony music stand. (I can feel a great deal of pipe lagging and duck tape coming on!)
We will place an order with a well known firm of kitchen roll manufacture, buy several pairs of marigolds and wait on standby for Bertie's Bedlam.                    

Offline lizzy

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2004, 10:53:12 AM »
Aaaww you are SO excited are'nt you! What colour is Bertie?

Lizzy Molly and Evie                    

Lizzy Molly and Evie

Offline bluesmum

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2004, 12:45:08 PM »
Awwww I'm so excited for you!!!!

It was only 4 weeks ago that we brought home our little Bailey so know all about the wait, I,m now waiting AGAIN! :roll:  for Bailey to be able to go on his very first walk outside :wink:                    
Maria, Blue & Bailey. xx

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2004, 01:20:31 PM »
Baby Bertie is coming to us from The forest of Dean ...

Ah, I think I know where he's coming from then :D I'm probably going to see the litter tomorrow so will give Bertie a cuddle for you :wink:

Jane                    
Jane