Author Topic: Fleas and 'Program'  (Read 1202 times)

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Fleas and 'Program'
« on: June 08, 2004, 11:08:40 PM »
Hi guys, another question from a newbie, I'm afraid!

We always treated our previous dog with 'Program' on a monthly basis (having had fleas in the house many years ago, we were not going to risk it again).

How old does a pup have to be to start using 'Program'? Is it recommended; is there research into its side effects?

Are there any alternatives if not Program?

Thanks

Rachel                    
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Andrea L

• Site Member
Fleas and 'Program'
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2004, 02:21:56 PM »
Silas is 9 weeks old and I have got Frontline spot-on which only needs to be done every 2 months.                    
lots of woofs n' licks,
Andrea, Silas and Marley

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Fleas and 'Program'
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2004, 02:41:48 PM »
Hi Rachel,

You can use the Program once the animal is weaned so it would be fine for your pup.  I must admit, we hardly sell any Program - most people seem to prefer the spot-ons.  The thing with Program is that it sterilises the flea so it can't lay eggs and the cycle will eventually be broken but it doesn't kill adult fleas. So if your pet had fleas, you would have to use both Program and another flea treatment such as Advantage or Frontline until all the adult fleas are gone and then continue to use Program on its own every month.  I use Advantage on my lot - quick and easy :wink:                    
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Sheila

• Site Member
Fleas and 'Program'
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2004, 10:11:26 PM »
I was given frontline at our first visit to the vet with Lottie.
I've always used these drops for our other dog and they work really well
I've never tried program.                    

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
Fleas and 'Program'
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2004, 10:47:20 PM »
I use Advantage to  :wink:  I think I pay about £16 for a 4 months supply  :)  dead easy just squeeze it onto the nape of the neck once a month and stick the sticker on the calendar and hey presto  :D                    

Offline JoHarborne

• Site Member
    • http://
Fleas and 'Program'
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2004, 11:19:19 PM »
We always used Program on our cats, but since moving to Birmingham, our new vet has frowned upon its use for some reason and is equally not keen for us to put Woody on it.   :( We were given a free sample of Frontline (obviously the vet's preference although I do wonder about sponsorship deals etc! :wink: ) and will just see how we go.  Expense is definitely a factor though and that may eventually sway us in favour of Frontline (and if we can buy that at the counter and not have to have a consultation all the better!!!) :D                    
Jo, Woody\'s owner