Author Topic: Jenni - too fat? its official  (Read 2686 times)

Offline KellyP

• Site Member
    • http://www.millies-website.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
Jenni - too fat? its official
« on: June 09, 2004, 06:20:34 PM »
Hi there,

I have already posted something along similiar lines regarding Jenni.
Anyway I got a bit paranoid with Tris and my dad calling her little fatty, and when we went to the vets to start off the pet passport process I asked the vet what he thought and we weighed her.
She weighes 9.6 kg, Millie only weighs 11.4kg.
The vet thinks that Jenni is a little on the fat side, but nothing too much, however he warned that if she piled it on now it would be harder for her to shift later, anyway, as a result Tris was quite chuffed he was right :roll:
But I don't understand, I thought it was simply 'puppy fat' or doesn't such a thing exist?  :?:
My breeder told me to make sure she eats plenty and pretty much as much as she wants too - which I did, and she didn't simply keep stuffing her face, I put too much in the bowl and she always left some - although she would check out Millies bowl, afterwards, but I think this is more of a 'what did you get' thing than a I'm still hungry/greedy thing, since she hadn't finished her own meal. Don't get me wrong, she wasn't getting over the daily recommended amount of Nutro puppy food, but she was getting the higher end of the recommended amount for puppies of her age/weight.

The thing that has me confused I guess is that the vet even said that Millie was bordering on fat - now personally I think that Millie is just about right, but for the breed standard she could be a little heavier / chunkier.

I have cut Jennis food down to the minimum amount of food for her age/weight as recommended by Nutro - but this leaves her hungry, always on the look out for more and she polishes it off in about 30 seconds flat - it has also had an undesirable effect - she has started eating Millie's poo.

Granted I should clean it up instantly, but unfortunately it isn't always possible to get out there instantly, I do it once a day in the evening -

"stop moaning and get out there every hour to clean up your dogs poop you irresponsible one!" I hear the cries now - however I am not hear to debate my ownership, whether you think it irresponsible or not, and yes appreciated if I cleaned up instantly she wouldn't be able to do it....

however

what I want to know is this - is she doing this now more frequently because she is hungrier???
Should I ignore the vet and continue to fed her as I was?
I am totally baffled because by this age Millie had practically stopped eating and was losing weight, so I have nothing 'normal' to compare Jenni too...

any advice would be appreciated please

Thanks

Kel                    
Kelly, Tristian, Millie & Jenni (double woof!)

www.millies-website.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

Offline LindaW

• Site Member
    • http://www.shandardel-cockers.co.uk
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2004, 06:34:59 PM »
Hi Kelly
Haven't been on COL for a while as been busy with puppies!!  You've obviously got another puppy - not sure how old she is but I was always under the impression that you couldn't overfeed a puppy and if you were only giving her the recommended amount of Nutro then I would have thought that was acceptable. The fact that she is eating poo now and wasn't before you cut her down could indicate that she is needing more to eat!  That's my opinion for what it's worth - maybe others will have different views.  Also she will lose weight when she gets more active and goes for longer walks so I wouldn't worry too much now.                    
Linda
xx
Jodie, Pippa, Daisy, Lolly, Gem, Tigger, Butty, Fanny and Coco!

Offline Dessie

• Site Member
  • Marvin, Oliver & Douglas
    • Derrindee Spaniels
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2004, 06:45:13 PM »
Hi Kelly

Now I no this isn't the bee all and end all of owning Cockers (before others that don't Show get up in arms) but if you are planning on Showing Jenni she needs to be a nice chunky puppy, this will help spring her ribs more and you will find that by the time she is 12 months or so and is going out on regular longer walks with Millie that she will loose her puppy fat.  

A good guide is if you can get your hands around her waist if they meet then she is fine if they don't then she is overweight.  Vets will always say that they are over weight as they have their ideas on what a Cocker should way.

I wish Douglas would of been a fatter puppy but he is catching up now  :wink:

HTH                    
Dessie, Douglas, Marvin & Oliver (ESS)(The Guernsey Crew) :D :D

Derrindee Spaniels
Guernsey, Channel Islands

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2004, 06:53:46 PM »
I'm certainly no dog expert, but my mantra is while they are growing, as much as they want. Same with my kids. They never get this period of rapid and intensive growth back, and I want to make sure they reach their growth potential.                    
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline Shirley

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2004, 06:56:24 PM »
:shock:   I'm shocked that the vet has said that Jenni is fat.  She and Cooper are around the same age and from the photos you've posted recently she looks so delicate compared to my bruiser  :?  Morgan's breeder tols me to let him eat as much as he liked for the first few months - this being not very much in Morgan's case (fussy ratbag that he is) - and I followed this with Cooper too.  Cooper is a glutton though and will eat his own and then Morgan's if I'm not guarding it  :lol:

I'm too scared to weigh Cooper now!  He is big, but when he's wet he looks okay, weightwise - so I think it may be the fluff that's making him look podgy as the black patches round his middle stick right out.  I can still feel his ribs without any problems.

In saying this Cooper has been on 3/4 portions this past fortnight as I really don't want him to have weight problems - it's enough for me to cope with my own!!!  :lol:    :lol:   :lol:  :roll:

I've no idea why Jenni would be eating the poo as you'd think she'd be scavenging for other things too if she was hungry.  I think there are tablets you can get to stop poo eating - no idea if they work or not  :wink:

It will be interesting to hear what others think on this one - will be following with interest  :D                    
Shirley, Morgan and Cooper
Morgan's Page                                  Videos of my boys

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2004, 08:02:36 PM »
Personally I agree with Dessie on this one  :wink: I've seen quite a few puppies (minor puppy class) that seem to carry extra weight  :)  I certainly wouldn't worry about a bit of puppy fat...I don't think the weight you mentioned is particularly heavy either. Vets are always conscious of weight and like to see dogs on the lean side...they seem to think Butty is "ideal" but I've seen more meat on a butchers pencil  :lol:
I don't think you can compare Jenni & Millie...although from the same breeder from the pics I've seen Millie looks to have a finer frame than Jenni...a bit like Butty  :wink:
I think as long as you can feel her ribs she isn't overweight  :)                    

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2004, 08:46:40 PM »
Hi Kelly

I really wouldn't worry too much, If Jenni was older then yes, I would be concerned, but given her age, I don't think its anything too much to be concerned about :D   Just enjoy her, as long as shes happy and healthy thats all that matters for now, IMHO!

Re the pooh, well I hold my hands up too, I only go out once a day, evening time to scoop the poop too, so your not alone and I am sure that no-one would call you irresponsible for that hun :wink:   I have no suggestions how you stop this, not too sure if its related to hunger though :?  could it be a pecking order thing???

Sounds from your post, that your quite upset about it, so I just want to say, there is soo much conflicting advise re bringing up pups, you have done a fantastic job with Millie and are doing with Jenni, so do what you feel is right by her, trust your own judgement :D                    

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2004, 08:51:25 PM »
Now I no this isn't the bee all and end all of owning Cockers (before others that don't Show get up in arms)  

:roll:                      

Offline Michele

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2004, 11:21:46 PM »
I've said it before and I'll say it again, and again, and again.....

I like a puppy to be well chunky, it only needs a day feeling off colour and the weight can soon start to drop. Everyone at ringcraft used to comment on how 'fat' Otis  8)  was as a pup. Well, some of you have seen him since, and he's no porker. Once a pup can have more exercise it'll all sort itself out.

JMHO  :D                    

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2004, 11:33:21 PM »
I've said it before and I'll say it again, and again, and again.....

I like a puppy to be well chunky, it only needs a day feeling off colour and the weight can soon start to drop. Everyone at ringcraft used to comment on how 'fat' Otis  8)  was as a pup. Well, some of you have seen him since, and he's no porker. Once a pup can have more exercise it'll all sort itself out.

JMHO  :D

Couldn't agree more Michele, I would sooner have a "rounded pup" then a slim one, for the reasons you gave, they have back up, should they pick up a little tummy upset or somthing!  I think thats why I have been so worried about Indies fussiness and weight, as I know if she were to pick up something, she had no reserves :roll:  

I don't think we can please all of the people all of the time, what one vet classes as "podgie" another may class as "just right ":?   Regardless of whether you are showing or not Kelly, if you are personally happy with the way she is, then ignore everyone else, who tells you otherwise :wink:
Its soo like when you have a new baby (human) and you get soo much advise from people, Dr's, midwives, family members, everyone seems to have their own opinions, it can drive you to distraction :roll:                    

Offline bluesmum

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2004, 11:48:59 PM »
I feel so much better after reading this thread as I've been a little concerned about Bailey's weight - he's HUGE!!!!!!!!

In fact I was just discussing this very thing with Barb (indiesnan) the other day who told me the exact same thing as you guys - dont worry!

So I'm just going to sit back and enjoy my ickle porker :wink:  :lol:                    
Maria, Blue & Bailey. xx

Offline Shirley

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2004, 08:39:14 AM »
I'm so relieved to read all these repies :) .  It never even occurred to me that he might need reserves in case he gets a bug, but it is a thought  :wink: .  I weighed Cooper last night and , as suspected, he is heavier than Jenni - 10.5 Kg - but then he's a boy so I'm using that as an excuse!  :lol: Thanks for asking the question Kelly, I've found the replies have put my mind at rest, too  :P

P.S.  I only clear up poop once a day, too.                    
Shirley, Morgan and Cooper
Morgan's Page                                  Videos of my boys

Offline lizzy

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2004, 08:52:35 AM »
I can only add to what everyone else has said really and that she looks like a normal healthy pup, once she starts on long walks she will burn it of,she needs a bit of fat to cope with that!

When I bought Molly,  her breeder, told me to make sure she's a nice chunky pup and this will set her up for life ( of course feeding high quality food ) she was like Jenni, a bit portly and I worried that I was overfeeding her but now at 2 and a half she is a lovely solid, strong healthy girl with a nice glossy coat and I think she is just right, I would'nt be overly concerened at this moment in time.

My other girl Evie is much finer boned than molly and much lighter and I've been worrying that she's some kind of dwarf but she is growing at a steady pace, she's just going to be a different build to Molly, the same as Jenni and Millie!! :wink:

Remember all dogs are different! 8)

Lizzy Molly and Evie                    

Lizzy Molly and Evie

Offline TOPAZ BILLY

• Site Member
  • De Girls!
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2004, 09:48:36 AM »
Kelly,

Poor you I know how you feel you get so defensive of our perfect babies (be them children or pups) and to us they look healthy :wink:

I had a similar conversation regarding my daughter with an ex friend of mine :shock: she told me to put her on a diet because she was a bit on the tubby side :shock:

Jenni is lovely and I am sure with the summer arriving and all the extra exercise she can have in the next few months she will firm up, as we all know it isnt really fat just relaxed muscle :wink:

Michelle                    

Offline bluesmum

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2004, 11:40:28 AM »
I had a similar conversation regarding my daughter with an ex friend of mine :shock: she told me to put her on a diet because she was a bit on the tubby side :shock

:shock: No wonder she's an ex friend Michelle!!!!!!!  Your daughter is beautiful! Some people say the stupidest thing's!!! :evil:  :evil:                    
Maria, Blue & Bailey. xx