Author Topic: Feeding  (Read 1312 times)

Offline bluesmum

• Site Member
Feeding
« on: June 10, 2004, 02:28:38 PM »
What to do??????????

I feed Bailey his 1st meal at 7 and Blue has his brekkie at 9.30, even though Bailey has already eaten he is like a gannet trying to get his face into Blues meal!

I am saying a big NO to him and removing him every time he does this but eventually I have to put him in his pen just so that Blue can eat his meal in peace, it's the same at dinner time too! :roll:

I really dont want to have to keep confining Bailey every time I feed Blue, I would like him to accept that Blue has to eat too!

Any suggestion's would be very much appreciated  :D                    
Maria, Blue & Bailey. xx

Offline TOPAZ BILLY

• Site Member
  • De Girls!
Feeding
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2004, 03:14:17 PM »
Maria,

I feed Billy and Abby at the same time.

Billy used to be a very laid back eater and would gently graze his way through a meal sometimes leaving for a couple of hours and then going back :roll:  but for the last few months before Abby's arrival I have been strictly feeding him twice a day at the same time and only allowing the food to stay down for 20 minutes he now eats his food as soon as I put it down.  Abby is getting feed in her crate at the moment as I want her to associate the crate with something she likes, she goes at food as if each meal may be her last but I am hoping that when she realises that she doesn't have to compete she may slow down :? As soon as she has finished she dashes over to Billy to see what he had but he has finished by then.

The only thing I can think of doing with Bailey is have a chew handy and distract bailey with it? or take Bailey into the garden for some one on one training, or maybe feed at the same time and hope that blue has finished before Bailey??

Our friends have two westies and they always race each other to finish food and then rush to check out each others bowl, feeding time last about 1 minute :D

Sorry not much help really.

Michelle                    

Offline PennyB

Feeding
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2004, 03:20:13 PM »
I have the same problem but as cockers are cockers 'no' doesn't seem to work as far as food's concerned even distraction techniques. Mine both race to fiinish quickly but if Ruby finishes 1st she'll always steal what's left of Wilfs if I let her. Now I tend to put a slip lead over Ruby to stop her or just hold her by her collar for a few seconds while Wilf finishes. Its no big deal really here as they eat so quickly anyway.                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline lizzy

• Site Member
    • http://
Feeding
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2004, 04:24:09 PM »
With Molly and Evie I feed them at the same time, I ask them both to sit and wait and Molly has her bowl 1st , then I give Evie hers, she scoffs it like mad , food flying everywhere, then she dashes over to  Molls but before she reaches her I'm waiting to grab her and make her sit and wait.

It is getting a bit easier and Evie is just about learning she can't have Mollys :twisted: but it's been hard and I don't think it's a perfect solution but hey you've gotta try something!!

Bailey is still a baby and you sound like your doing everything right for him and Blue, just give it a few more weeks things will get a bit easier!! :wink:

Lizzy Molly and Evie                    

Lizzy Molly and Evie

Offline Sheila

• Site Member
Feeding
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2004, 10:05:16 PM »
I feed my two dogs at the same times.
My lab was on only two meals a day, but I have just split the quantities to make four meals.
It works really well and they eat side by side quite happily.
Sometimes, Lottie will attempt to grab some of Goldies food, but we just watch carefully and move her back.
Both our dogs are very good and very fast feeders, often it's a race to see who finishes first, so we dont have to worry about one of them not getting their quota.
I'm not sure if this way of feeding is really correct for an older adult dog, but I thought it would save any feelings of jealousy.
They both eat at 7.00, 12.30, 5.30 and 10.00                    

Offline bluesmum

• Site Member
Feeding
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2004, 10:17:50 PM »
Blue is not the best of eater's and always needs encouragement because I do worry about my boy :wink:  he likes to take his time when he eats and has never heartily ate a meal ever! So I cant feed them both together as Blue just wont eat at the times that I feed Bailey so it seems that for now I will just have to keep Bailey out of Blues bowl! :roll:  :lol:  Thanks all for your replies  :D                    
Maria, Blue & Bailey. xx

Offline Michele

• Site Member
Feeding
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2004, 11:19:16 PM »
Blue just wont eat at the times that I feed Bailey so it seems that for now I will just have to keep Bailey out of Blues bowl!

Maria, why not hold a small amount of Bailey's food back and so whenever you feed Blue he doesn't feel left out?