Author Topic: So far ... not so good  (Read 2283 times)

Offline Becky

• Site Member
    • http://
So far ... not so good
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2004, 08:26:00 PM »
Jo, I too cried when we first brought Danny home.  After a few days, I had to leave him to go to college.  I was only out for about 2 hours and we thought the house was "puppy proof".  I came in to find Dan covered from head to foot in grease - he'd managed to open and climb into the oven.  I put him in the bath but could only use water because we didn't have any puppy shampoo.  It didn't touch the mess and in the end I phoned my Dad in tears and he rescued us both with a bottle of Johnson's baby shampoo and a firm hand.
Love Becky, Danny and Ollie!

Offline JoHarborne

• Site Member
So far ... not so good
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2004, 11:29:49 AM »
Oh my God Becky!!   :shock: I would have felt sooo guilty - and I think that's the main thing isn't it?  Whatever you do, you feel that you're not doing the "right" thing or you're being too harsh.   :oops:

We've got the book that was recommended to us and it's confirmed that we have been tackling the problems in the right way.  Phew!   :D Only problem still remaining is Woody's howling at night - although this is now only once when he wakes up at 5.30 and we don't get him up until 6.30 although we'd prefer nearer 7!!   :wink: Have taken to wearing earplugs!!!   :lol: Hope that, in time, he will understand that crying won't get a reaction from us and we'll get past this problem.

Other than that - it's going well.  He is completely adorable!!   :)                    
Jo, Woody\'s owner

Offline Sheila

• Site Member
So far ... not so good
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2004, 12:46:11 PM »
Good to hear that things are getting better.

It can be slow and gradual, but they all get it eventually.

Lottie slept for about 5 hours last night, which has been the longest so far without crying.......I feel quite human today :D                    

Offline Becky

• Site Member
So far ... not so good
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2004, 06:36:29 PM »
You're absoloutly right Jo, you do worry so much about doing things right.  Dan is our first dog and I'm sure we made mistakes but he's turned out just fine, lovely, gentle and friendly.  I think as long as you do a bit of reading up and are kind, thoughtful and sensible in raising and training a cocker, their lovely natures will usually shine through.  Then again, ask me in 3 weeks when our new pup arrives and I'm sure I'll be pulling my hair out!
Love Becky, Danny and Ollie!

Offline padfoot

• Site Member
So far ... not so good
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2004, 12:42:05 AM »
Puppies are spawn of Satan  :lol:  :lol:
I can honestly say that I prefer adult dogs ten times over...although puppies are very cute.
This is completely normal, but that doesn't make it easy I know. Puppies are almost as bad a new baby and it's not strange to cry or get upset, they tire you out, you lose sleep, your house is a wreck...but remember this will stop.
Toby can still be a handful sometimes, but in general he has got so much better recently. They do grow out of their evil ways  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:                    

Offline correna

• Site Member
So far ... not so good
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2004, 07:28:13 AM »
I feel quite guilty having read all of your comments,  :oops:  I picked  bailey up last  thurs so 3 days ago, we haven't had any accidents in the house, and he sleeps at least 6-7 hrs on a night although his puppy crate is next to our bed, but he does't mess in it either. He is 9 weeks old and an absolute star and gorgeous into the bargain. My husband keeps saying "Ican't believe he is so clean."  he does like to bite and chew fingers though which I  am working on :D                    
Correna & Bailey

Offline Laura

• Site Member
So far ... not so good
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2004, 10:59:47 AM »
Correna
don't feel guilty about it enjoy it :D .  Not all puppies are the same.  We picked our Bailey up this week he is 8 weeks and 5 days now.  So far he is a little angel - he is full of character but is so placid and content.  He has never cried at night - except to go for a wee.  

Brogan on the other hand was a horror like you would never believe - at 11 months old now he is a wonderful dog and so well behaved.  I cried after getting Brogan as he was such a demon puppy.  

I still keep thinking this is the calm before the storm with Bailey but maybe not - I will see what adolescence and the next few weeks has in store for me!! :lol:                    
Laura x

Run free together boys. Missing you both xx
Bailey  29/04/04 - 16/03/11
Brogan 29/07/03 - 22/10/09