Author Topic: Litter Tray Use  (Read 1697 times)

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Litter Tray Use
« on: June 11, 2004, 08:32:21 PM »
Hi all

I'm trying to track down Louise, Pipers Mum, who posted a picture of Piper in the gallery of Piper in 'his' litter tray.

I have thought about using a litter tray when 'pup' arrives, as I understand that 'puppy poo' can be a bit tricky to clear up from the garden  :roll: , and with a young child I thought a tray might be easier.

I'd love some advice; anyones thoughts and experiences would be welcome,

Thanks

Rachel                    
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline lizzy

• Site Member
    • http://
Litter Tray Use
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2004, 08:57:52 PM »
Hi Rachel,

I've never heard of using a litter tray for a puppy! The only thing I would have reservations about is teaching your pup to " go " indoors, they might have trouble adjusting to going outside, personally I have always been happy taking them outside from the day they come home , could you not have specific area just for your pup?

I'd like to know if anybody litter trains their pups, it would be quite interesting to find out how they get on!!

Lizzy Molly and Evie                    

Lizzy Molly and Evie

Offline daftcockers

• Site Member
    • http://www.chaysonniecockers.co.uk
Litter Tray Use
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2004, 09:14:31 PM »
Just press on her PM and send her a private message :D                    
WWW.CHAYSONNIECOCKERS.CO.UK

Thanks susan and the gang

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Litter Tray Use
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2004, 09:25:57 PM »
Sorry to be 'dizzy' but I can't see her username with the piccie on the gallery, I found one 'Louise' but its not her!

Rachel                    
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline lizzy

• Site Member
    • http://
Litter Tray Use
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2004, 09:38:41 PM »
Hi Rachel,

Its Piper's mummy! ( louise ) :D

Lizzy Molly and Evie                    

Lizzy Molly and Evie

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Litter Tray Use
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2004, 09:48:05 PM »
I really would not recommend a litter tray for a puppy - as Lizzy says if you train a pup to use a tray, then you are effectively training a puppy to "go" indoors which can be very confusing when you really want to train your pup to "go" outside. If you are worried about puppy poo outside, then all you have to do is pick up any poo as soon as your pup "performs" - I haven't found this tricky to do whether it's on grass or on a hard surface :wink:

Jane                    
Jane

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
Litter Tray Use
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2004, 10:42:55 PM »
In fact you become an expert "poo picker-upper" in my opinion  :lol:                    

Offline PennyB

Litter Tray Use
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2004, 12:53:12 AM »
In fact you become an expert \"poo picker-upper\" in my opinion  :lol:

I'll second that—its amazing how many still don't pick up on the park and they have a child in tow!

My sister and I all grew up with dogs (me from age 3 and my sister was born when we'd had Candy a year) and never had any health related problems re poo (and in those days no one gave a pooh about pooh and its associated risks).

If you can't get your dog to go in a specific place (in my case I was just grateful they went and didn't care where in the garden especially as I had to stand out with them in the pouring rain at stupid o'clock encouraging/willing them to do something) then just be vigilant in picking up.

Even if you have a litter tray there's bound to be a time when that gets in the way of a crawling child.                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline shaz

• Site Member
Litter Tray Use
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2004, 07:52:44 AM »
i pride myself in the quick training of toilet training (or may be i have just been lucky), i just take the pup out side every hour or so,and straight after every meal and as soon as they wake up and when they do the buisness give him lots of praise i mean really go overboard with it,the nighbours thinck that i am mad when they here me  ,
 you are up and down alot and have to be very aware as to were your pup is and what he is doing,even during the night i get up to take him into the garden,i know in can be hard when you have an crying pup that will not sleep for long and your tired and do not want to get up ,   but it so worth it in the end ,
 harley is 16 weeks old now and is almost toilet trained we have not had an accident for over a week and that includes night time, and my two others were trained in this way.

and yes i agree pick up the poo as soon as they have done it.                    
sharon  mellow,  harley , shayla and havana.
please visit my new web site
www.evanavacockerspaniels.moonfruit.com

Offline Pipers Mummy

• Site Member
Litter Tray Use
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2004, 10:16:59 AM »
Hi Rachel - Piper's Mummy here!

Sorry, I've been away so have only just caught this thread!

The only reason for  Puppy Piper being in the litter tray was because she loved rolling and sleeping in it - oh and when she could, eating what was in it  :shock:  :shock:  The litter tray was relocated upstairs within two days of her arrival!

As everyone else has said I definitely would not recommend a litter tray for a puppy and yes, you soon become a very skilled pooh picker-upper (even hubby is good at it and I consider that to be a small miracle :wink: )

Sorry if the photo confused you.

Louise                    
Cocker Kisses from Louise & Piper xxx

Offline PennyB

Litter Tray Use
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2004, 11:39:15 AM »
And you'll probably find that a puppy would eat the litter anyway, I know mine did so the cat litter tray had to be relocated as well like Piper's Mummys                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!