Author Topic: Age restrictions on breeding dogs?  (Read 2109 times)

Offline Rhona W

• Site Member
Age restrictions on breeding dogs?
« on: June 02, 2006, 09:52:10 PM »
I believe that in order for puppies to be KC registered the breeding bitch must be between the ages of 2 and 8 years of age. ( With some exceptions. ) Please correct me if I am wrong.
But are there age restrictions on the stud dog?
I only ask because I was browsing a website last night and there was an 11 month old dog offered for stud at £200. Apparantly he'd already fathered a litter to / with a weimerarner! Please don't think I'm trying to stud my 4 month old pups.  :005:

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Re: Age restrictions on breeding dogs?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2006, 10:53:10 PM »
The KC permit a litter to be registered as long as a bitch is over 12 months old and under 8 years old. There are sadly no restrictions whatsoever on stud dogs so the KC will happily register a litter sired by a dog under 12 months old.
Jane

Offline Rhona W

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2006, 11:02:35 PM »
Isn't 12 months a little young for a bitch to have pups? My sister had a bitch that had pups at about 11 months (result of a street accident) and she was only a pup herself really. She did her best with them, but it was quite pitiful to see her at times. Perhaps each bitch is different!?

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2006, 11:30:30 PM »
Yes it is young but the KC rules are not breed specific - 12 months might be considered ok for a toy breed which matures very quickly but it would be considered completely unacceptable for a slower maturing large breed. The KC  lays down basic minimum requirements but the breed clubs will generally have more specific guidelines in their Codes of Ethics (although not all breeders will be members of a breed club, particularly not those who breed on a commercial basis). Eg The Cocker Spaniel Breed Council says "No bitch should be mated before her second season and never before the age of fourteen months, nor after the age of seven years". In practice, very few Cocker breeders would consider breeding from a bitch as young as 12 months or as old as 7 or 8 but it happens :'(
Jane

Offline lassemista

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2006, 05:01:18 PM »
A cocker dog and a weimaraner bitch :005: :005: :005: Where there's a will there's a way!!
Andrea.

Offline The Moog

• Site Member
  • Mwaaah!
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2006, 07:36:22 PM »
A cocker dog and a weimaraner bitch :005: :005: :005: Where there's a will there's a way!!
Andrea.

I was just wondering how that happened....... :o
Love,
Lisa, Moog & Mervyn x x x x

Offline cockerella

• Site Member
    • Kennel Cocker Rebel
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2006, 10:27:55 PM »
Andrea.

May I suggest.........a ladder :lol: :lol: :lol: :005:
Gro, Mazie Lucky and  Boogi
My Webpage: Cocker Rebel

Offline Rhona W

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2006, 10:48:22 PM »
Andrea.

Perhaps it was a very long will!  ph34r

There were also newfoundland x cocker puppies for sale.  :o I'm assuming the cocker had to be the bitch!

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2006, 07:49:05 AM »
There were also newfoundland x cocker puppies for sale.  :o I'm assuming the cocker had to be the bitch!

Oooooooh, I hope not for her sake!  :o  But the other way round conjures up a strange mental picture!
Julie and Watson

Offline Cayley

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2006, 12:51:04 PM »
I think I saw Border Collie cross Chihuahua puppies in the ads once, I guess the little dog lies over the big girl when she's lieing down  ph34r.
Cayley.

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2006, 01:03:59 PM »
I think I saw Border Collie cross Chihuahua puppies in the ads once, I guess the little dog lies over the big girl when she's lieing down  ph34r.

OMG.. the mind boggles  :o :o

I wonder what they looked like??!
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline DennyK

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2006, 02:19:53 PM »

Wonder if she even noticed it happening??????  Bit of a shock when the puppies arrive and she's thinking "How the hell did THAT happen??" :005: :005:

Offline Tasha

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2006, 06:38:11 PM »
I suggest bloody stupidity... as a weimaraner owner the last thing anyone would want is a dog with the intelligence and size of a weimaraner crossed with the busy hunting of a cocker, total nightmare.  The normal idiot crosses are labs and they are NOT breeds suitable for crossing.  When will these people learn...wrecking a breed.