Author Topic: Colours  (Read 3402 times)

Offline kelly

• Site Member
Colours
« on: September 07, 2004, 02:39:59 PM »
can any one help i have a litter of pups and 3 are just blue roans but the rest have brown markings just on there faces what are these called everyone i talk to says different? they have little brown dots just above the eyes and around the noes and mouth areas?  

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Colours
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2004, 02:44:55 PM »
Blue roan & tans. Did you not know this colour was in the breeding Kelly? Normally, the stud dog owner or your bitch's breeder would know what colours to expect from their lines so should have been able to advise you.

Jane
Jane

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
Colours
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2004, 03:40:14 PM »
I always think it's advisable when breeding to know a little about colour genetics...and especially what colours are available in your chosen breed of dog, potential owners will also want to know the colours of puppies. I suggets you try and get hold of a good cocker spaniel book...A Pet Owners Guide to the Cocker Spaniel is a good choice to start off with  :)  

Offline Becky

• Site Member
    • http://
Colours
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2004, 08:07:08 PM »
I think blue roan and tans are gorgeous.  There are pics of some older pups on the Powerscourt website, that you can access through the breeder list on COL if you want to see what they might turn out like. :D  
Love Becky, Danny and Ollie!

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
  • Look mum - no legs :)
Colours
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2004, 10:32:58 PM »
Jane S Posted on Sep 7 2004, 02:44 PM

Blue roan & tans.

Sorry to do a hijack here but Alfie has the odd bit of tan on his face. Now I had heard of  blue roans and tans but the pictures and dogs i have seen  there has been a lot of tan showing. Alfie only has the odd wee dot under one eye. Will this increase till he has the tan markings or shall I just be thinking of it as his "beauty" spot? :)

The other thing is that his whiskas are pure white one side and black the other so he looks like he only has them one side. Is that normal for roans?

Not that Im worried cos they suit him to pieces :)

Caroline and Alfie

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Colours
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2004, 10:45:53 PM »
I don't think Alfie is a blue roan & tan - the tan dots are above the eyes not beneath them usually. Is it possible the brown spot is a little bit of tear staining (not uncommon in puppies)? He has black whiskers one side of his face because his muzzle is much darker that side - it looks lighter the other side which is probably why he has lighter whiskers that side (good theory anyway :D)

Jane
Jane

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
Colours
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2004, 12:21:51 AM »
Its definately not tear staining. Looking at him, its tan around the top of the nose and along the edges of the lighter part of his face.

As for the whiskers his muzzle is the same both sides - or near as  - yet whishers are pure white one side and black the other. A right odd job of a lad :)
Caroline and Alfie

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Colours
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2004, 09:30:02 AM »
Its definately not tear staining. Looking at him, its tan around the top of the nose and along the edges of the lighter part of his face.

As for the whiskers his muzzle is the same both sides - or near as  - yet whishers are pure white one side and black the other. A right odd job of a lad :)
Interesting :) Have you got a close up of his head Caroline? I can't see the tan in the photos in your album. One of our bitches did have a slight tan tinge to her eyebrows - she carried the tan gene but was not actually blue & tan herself. Perhaps Alfie is the same.

Jane
Jane

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
Colours
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2004, 10:50:41 AM »
Its always the way - I dont have my camera here atm  <_<

Now cos Im looking real close at him I see its not as noticable as it was. Before I could definately see tan spots on his muzzle, slight tanning over the eyes and around the jowels and it was tan, not the browny tinge which shows in his puppy fluff. So maybe it will all fade out as he matures? :unsure:

As for the whiskers, five big thick white ones one side and just two big black ones the other(the others are so fine as to be unnoticable) In fact his face is just so lopsided looking, its like he has two expressions all the time depending on what side you are looking at :)

So I dont think I will be entering him in any beauty shows,he certainly hasnt inherieted his dads good looks. This guy is scruffs and not cruffs :)

But we think hes gorgeous :)

Caroline and Alfie

Offline kelly

• Site Member
Colours
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2004, 08:36:16 AM »
Thanks for all your replys. myself i would call these little beauties blue roan and tan but other people say tri colour. So i think a trip back to the vet might be a good option? But there again if i put a picture on of these pups i would like to hear more of what you think?  THank you all once again for your replys? :rolleyes:  

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Colours
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2004, 09:27:41 AM »
Thanks for all your replys. myself i would call these little beauties blue roan and tan but other people say tri colour. So i think a trip back to the vet might be a good option? But there again if i put a picture on of these pups i would like to hear more of what you think?  THank you all once again for your replys? :rolleyes:
I don't think your vet is going to be any help Kelly - they don't tend to have expert knowledge on Cocker colours ;) Traditionally tricolours are clear black, white & tans. If you have this colour, there will be no roaning & the pads of the feet stay pink or partly pink (with blue roans, pads will be totally black within a short time). If you have blue roan & tans, this is the colour they should be registered as - not tricolours.

Jane
Jane

Offline padfoot

• Site Member
Colours
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2004, 01:50:04 AM »
When I registered Ollie with the vet, she decided his colouring was "tan and white"...this didn't give me much confidence in vet's knowledge of cocker colours  :huh:  

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
Colours
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2004, 09:07:34 AM »
Exactly Kelly, my vet thought buttons was a Springer  :o  

Offline cbabe

• Site Member
    • home of the Fernlow band of cockers!!!
Colours
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2004, 05:08:15 PM »
Exactly Kelly, my vet thought buttons was a Springer  :o
Had that problem too!!!! With fern looking very indignant at being called a springer!
Clare
Fern (HRH) and Willow (lolo)
Bryony, Gypsi, Thorn and Rocky

Sorry if my Post offends you, my cocker spaniel has learnt to type and i can not be held responsible for her attitude problem!

Offline annemie

• Site Member
    • http://members.chello.nl/~a.notten1/
Colours
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2004, 08:36:43 AM »
When we bought Joris he had great tan marks above the eyes, on his cheecks and under his tail. Within 2 month after buying most of the tan marks above the eyes were gone  :unsure:  Now he have just under his tail a big spot of tan (like a deer). His pedigree is changed in liverroan (the breeder did that). First they called him liverroan with tan.
Greetings,

Annemie and a big kiss from Joep, Joris and Henry

[img width= height=]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v336/annemiejojo/Webfiets.jpg[/img]