Author Topic: Pedegree chum  (Read 4214 times)

Offline helen1

• Site Member
Pedegree chum
« on: March 21, 2007, 04:18:12 PM »
I have just noticed a few comments on here about this brand of dog food. Bailey has been brought up on the puppy food, and now the adult.  On Friday I went to tesco and they were giving money off vouchers for the new natural ped chum.  I bought some, have fed Bailey, he loves it.  I also feed the ped chum mixer biscuit (small bite).  I dont want to feed him dry food only and always try to mix things up a bit and give him a variety. I also dont want to give barf either.  He gets fed 3 times a day now with treats in between.  So my questions are;

1  Is ped chum no good?
2  Has anyone tried the new natural food?

I think I have become paranoid :005:
Loves my family and dog Bailey more than life its self

Offline chelsea

• Site Member
    • http://www.quintaviacockerspaniels.co.uk
Re: Pedegree chum
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2007, 04:27:00 PM »
I have tried the new nature pouches as we had some free at Crufts and the dogs loved it, but don't usually give them pedigree. I prefer feeding a complete food rather than mixer, much tastier and more filling for the dog, but remember any changes you decide to make to Bailey's food must be done gradually over a few days as he could get an upset stomach. ;)

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2007, 06:08:10 PM »
I saw this 'nature' Pedigree stuff in Asda the other day and out of curiosity looked at the back.. The main ingredient was listed as 'meat and meat derivatives' and then it said minimum 4% meat...  :o :o which begs the question... what the heck is the other 96%??!  :-\  Pedigree is very palatable to dogs because it is full of additives and flavourings, much like kids like the taste of brightly coloured sweets and MacDonald's. I personally would not consider feeding it to my two, a food with such a low percentage of meat is going to be stuffed full of all kinds of fillers and unnecessary cr@p.

The other reason I wouldn't use Pedigree is ethical - they test their foods on permanently caged dogs and cats at their labs.

There are much better and much more ethical foods available, if you want a dry complete food you could try Burns, Arden Grange, Nutro or Autarky and for a good wet to add to it Naturediet or Nature's Menu are hard to beat.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Joelf

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2007, 06:52:22 PM »
Personally I wouldn't feed Pedigree chum in any form to our dogs; I do think a lot of these manufacturers jump on the 'Natural' band wagon - a very clever & fashionable marketing ploy!! ;)
Jo, Domino (cocker) & Spike (black lab.)

Offline Tasha

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2007, 06:54:59 PM »
sorry but I agree with nicola I want my dogs to have a long and healthy life and not have problems associated with a junk food diet it might look like it costs alot more but to be honest there is not much difference and I know with the foods I feed that my dogs is getting in majority meat not a high percentage of sugars salt water and ash...

Lots of the large manufacturers test their products on cages animals which I am totally against its unnecessary and cruel.

In addition to that lots of dogs get the most disgusting squitty bottom and if you look at the poo is bright yellow from colour additives that are in the foods, no thanks.  Personal preference of course but in this day and age we can't fain lack of education for feeding a food.

Offline Bagpuss

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2007, 07:10:00 PM »
In addition to that lots of dogs get the most disgusting squitty bottom and if you look at the poo is bright yellow from colour additives that are in the foods, no thanks.  Personal preference of course but in this day and age we can't fain lack of education for feeding a food.
The change in Charlie's deposits has been remarkable since he changed from Bakers Complete to James Wellbeloved.   They were a sort of orange colour, very soft and there was loads of it!  Since changing to JWB, it's gone brown, firmed up and the amount has decreased significantly.

Offline helen1

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2007, 01:58:14 PM »
thanks for opinions.  I think i will change Bailey's diet over the next couple of weeks.  I have still got half a dozen tins of ped chum so I will try and mix in the new stuff that I decide on.  Is this the right way?  Im expecting poo's galore with the change but thats cool so long as im not doing any harm to his digestive system with changing.

He does like wet food and a biscuit either sprinkled on top or straight afterwards so I will scour the shelves and read the labels. :shades:

Thanks
Loves my family and dog Bailey more than life its self

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2007, 02:03:36 PM »
If you want a wet food, Naturediet is excellent and you can mix it with the dry if you want  ;)
Julie and Watson

Offline White Bryony

• Site Member
  • Woofie 5.5.1999 - 29.4.13
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2007, 02:23:35 PM »
Just to say that after reading some of the posts on here have changed my very fussy cockers food to naturediet.  She now loves feeding time and doesn't run away from her food like its going to bite her.

Sorry to lower the tone but we have had nice hard poos too!

Lisa

Lisa, Maddie and Woofie (now at the bridge) xx

Offline AnnieM

• Site Member
  • Jazmin
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2007, 02:52:14 PM »
Well I have never touched Pedigree food even for our old springer, who we lost last year aged 13.  When we went to crufts , mum got a bag with three packs of red pedigree treats in and a rope ball for £1.  I decided to take the treats to ringcraft for the raffle but before they got that far someone had opened them whilst I was showing Archie and fed a handful each to Jade and Amber........ Result, Bright orangey/pink poo and very sloppy.  Needless to say I was not very happy, I wish I had just binned them in the first place.   No wonder there are so many hyper dogs out there that people can't control.  :-\

**DALEMSTAR COCKERS**

Offline DennyK

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2007, 02:56:42 PM »
Helen

Of the wet foods, Nature Diet is the best - available from Pets At Home and most pet food shops - www.naturediet.co.uk if you want to check it out.  They use rice instead of cereals, which is better for dogs, no nasties - artificial additives, preservatives, flavouring.  If you use it and like it, (and more importantly, the dogs like it), then shop around on the internet and with your local shops to see what price they'll charge you for buying/delivering in bulk. 

Let us know how you get on.

Denise

Offline sarah25

• Site Member
  • Charbonnel Love'N'It At Oramiss
    • Oramiss Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2007, 03:10:16 PM »
We have never had a problem with Pedigree!

Sophie at the moment is on NatureDiet and loves it

Offline hamfam

• Site Member
  • Lucy Blue roan beauty
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2007, 03:18:28 PM »
We used to feed Lucy on Naturediet and she loved it, but like many people on here we had problems with supply and moved to natures menu pouches - this is a complete food also available at tescos and cheaper than the pedigree naturals. 60% meat no additives or colourants etc. Lucy has one pouch a day and a few bits of jwb kibble (about 1/2 a handfull a day)

Natures menu is also available 'Raw' frozen in the freezers at pets at home, we treat Lucy to this now and again and she loves it! its a complete mix of meat, bone and veg

If it's not wet and sloppy, it's not a real kiss

Offline Shelley

• Site Member
  • Melody, Abi, Tia
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2007, 08:31:18 PM »
If you look on the lable of most dog (or cat) foods you will find that they don't have anymore that 4% meat or animals derivatives in them.... And do you know what them animal derivatives are? Well you wouldn't want to feed them to your dog that's for sure!!

My lot have a complete food: Cockers - Royal Canin and the Newfs - James Wellbeloved. With that they have fresh cooked chicken, Lamb, tuna, sardines, scrabled egg  and that kind of thing. Sometimes I give them a sachet of the Nature Diet (60% meat!!), which you can get in Tesco's as well, but generally I prefer to give home cooked stuff instead.

Tia, Melody and Abi

RAW FED, CHEMICAL FREE DOGS!