Author Topic: We're Also Looking For A Rescue Cocker  (Read 1827 times)

Offline Roxie

• Site Member
We're Also Looking For A Rescue Cocker
« on: November 15, 2005, 12:56:22 PM »
Hi there, I'm looking for a pure lemon, orange or black cocker spaniel pup (or up to 10 months old).

I live in Stockport Cheshire, so am looking for one somewhere in the North West preferably. I used to have a Sheltie, but unfortunately he passed of old age 4 yrs ago, and although I'll never forget him, I feel ready now to re-home another doggie.

I've been researching cockers and they seem to be the dog for me. I live in a very 'green' area with fields behind our house and plenty of nice walkies! My garden is already fenced in, having had a dog before.

Hope someone can help me!
Byeeeeeeeee  :P

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2005, 02:19:46 PM »
Hi there, I'm looking for a pure lemon, orange or black cocker spaniel pup (or up to 10 months old).
[snapback]160516[/snapback]
Cocker puppies rarely come up on rescue so if you would like a rescue Cocker, it's best to be flexible on age and colour. Have you contacted Cocker Rescue in your area? Also check out threads on this board as there have been quite a few Cockers in need of new homes lately if you are prepared to travel outside your area & consider an older dog rather than a puppy.

Jane
Jane

Offline cindere528

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2005, 06:10:27 PM »
[snapback]160516[/snapback]
Cocker puppies rarely come up on rescue so if you would like a rescue Cocker, it's best to be flexible on age and colour. Have you contacted Cocker Rescue in your area? Also check out threads on this board as there have been quite a few Cockers in need of new homes lately if you are prepared to travel outside your area & consider an older dog rather than a puppy.

Jane
[snapback]160529[/snapback]

Adult Cockers come up for rescue quite often, but puppies only rarely.  Have you registered on Dogpages? (www.DogPages.org.uk)  IMO that's the best place to look for a rescue Cocker.  That's where I first saw both of mine.  Like Jane said though, you will probably need to be flexible on colour and age if you're looking for a rescue.  

Good luck

Offline bensmum

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2005, 07:13:56 PM »
:rolleyes: hello i can honestly say when rescuing a dog age colour ect shouldnt come into it if you are rescuing you rescue when i rescued my ben i had no idea what age colour or sex he was all i knew was that he was being mistreated and that was enough for me ,i can however understand choosing type of dog as diffrent breeds suit diffrent family types but honestly and i'm really not trying to be rude as long as you are giving a new lease of life to a dog who may otherwise be neglected or endanger ect that should be all that matters otherwise it would be better to just go and pick a pup and buy it from a breeder,i mean this in the nicest possible way and i really hope you dont take offence but i have rescued 3 dogs now if i had been choosey they would proberbly have been dumped put down or starved by now any rescued dog will reward you 100 times more than any food /shelter given with devotion and unconditional love and they wont care what colour hair you have lol

Offline Roxie

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2005, 09:14:22 AM »
Bens Mum - Yes I am offended by what you say. You don't know me, or my family. We have a lovely home to provide a young cocker. Yes, we could go out to a breeder and buy one, but we have chosen not to just yet, simply because we want to wait and open our hearts to a young rescue cocker. You've got to realise that when people set out about getting a dog they automatically think, well I would like a young dog, or a middle age dog, or an elderly dog, a big dog, a small dog depending on your circumstances. If I had the mindset of Bens Mum, I'd end up taking the first rescue dog that came along whatever breed or age it is just because it was a rescue, even if I didn't have the facilities or accomodation for it, but then the dog wouldn't be at all happy.  

I had a Sheltie for many years and we went through a lot of bad times in his older years. I realise you can't help prevent that stage, but I don't feel I can go through that period again for a while, and would much rather have a pup, or young dog who is more playful, and more active.

I will continue looking for a breeders puppy, but if a little rescue cocker turns up in the meantime, I won't hesitate to give it a home. And may I add, A VERY NICE HOME TOO!

Offline isla

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2005, 10:22:43 AM »
Roxie I don't think Bens Mum meant any offence she was just putting across her opinion regarding rescue dogs. Differing opinions are one of the great things about forums  :)  Hope you find all the info and opinions expressed by everyone useful in coming to a decision about your potential new addition (whether it be a puppy or a rescue).  :)

Offline Elisa

• Site Member
  • Double Trouble
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2005, 12:15:08 PM »
I *think* Bensmum was just adding that if you want a rescue cocker you might have to be a bit flexible in age and colour.  I dont think she meant any offence.  ;)

Good luck with your search  :)
Elisa, Bailey & Harvey  xxx

Offline cindere528

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2005, 06:14:04 PM »
I will continue looking for a breeders puppy, but if a little rescue cocker turns up in the meantime, I won't hesitate to give it a home. And may I add, A VERY NICE HOME TOO!
[snapback]160738[/snapback]

Check out the Many Tears thread NOW, they won't be there for long.  A little golden pup &  a black one, both 14 weeks old & in rescue :(

Offline bensmum

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2005, 06:35:48 PM »
:( well i'm very sorry you have taken offence at what i have said and as i put sevral times none was ment and just to clarify i at no point even hinted a dog would NOT be going to a nice home nor did i say that you should take the first dog that came along big or small i only ever said about age and colour albeit indirectly and would be irrisponsible if i suggested anything diffrent [i worked in a rescue kennals and have seen what mistakes can come back like ],i see there was no reason for your getting so personal toward me i was never anything but polite and cortious in my opnion which posting on a open forum i think everyone is open to i am a doggie person and at all times put the welfare of any animal over anything else animals have always been my life not just a pet and as such i always think on behalf of the animal as they have no voice for themselfs ,i'm just glad that others could see what i ment and i do hope you too can now see where  i am coming from i do not insult or personally attack anyone verbally or written i only done what this forum is for and replyed in a disscusion once again sorry if you have taken it wrong :unsure:

Offline donna37

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2005, 12:29:12 AM »
I have to agree with bensmum that taking on a rescue cocker is very rewarding.  I didnt mind what colour, sex or age my cocker was as long as he was a cocker.  It was the lovely nature of cockers that appealed to me.  Jake is my first ever dog and yes he does have some issues having been a rescue but I can tell you I love him so much and he loves me as much back.

We have a great time together.

Offline PennyB

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2005, 12:31:41 AM »
I have to agree with bensmum that taking on a rescue cocker is very rewarding.  I didnt mind what colour, sex or age my cocker was as long as he was a cocker.  It was the lovely nature of cockers that appealed to me.  Jake is my first ever dog and yes he does have some issues having been a rescue but I can tell you I love him so much and he loves me as much back.

We have a great time together.
[snapback]161182[/snapback]

... and he's very lucky to have you Donna (I dread to think what his future would have been if he hadn't gone into rescue and then a doting owner)
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!