Author Topic: Anal Glands  (Read 1525 times)

Offline pop

• Site Member
    • http://
Anal Glands
« on: July 12, 2005, 04:55:21 PM »
Lulu has been to the vets this afternoon due to 'wiping bum along the floor in front of visitors syndrome'  <_<
Yep, it was her anal glands again....
She was only 10 weeks old the first time she had them emptied and now she's only 5 and a half months.
Our new vet has said that she seems to be very narrow around that area which doesn't help and I will need to keep an eye on her because we may have problems. He also said that if whoever emptied her glands last time was too rough they may be scarred which makes it worse.
Lulu is on Hills Science for puppies so her diet is good and her weight is perfect .  Do you think I should add a little bit of bran to her diet which will help her poo? Obviously I'll get the stuff from the health shop that's got no salt in it etc.
I really really hope Lulu doesn't have to have her glands washed out or removed.
Is this problem of narrowness genetic and could it be serious?

a worried mummy

pop and Lulu
xx

Offline Dunton4

• Site Member
Anal Glands
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2005, 05:16:32 PM »
Our new vet has said that she seems to be very narrow around that area ...

He also said that if whoever emptied her glands last time was too rough they may be scarred which makes it worse.

Do you think I should add a little bit of bran to her diet which will help her poo?

Is this problem of narrowness genetic and could it be serious?

[snapback]136266[/snapback]

Hi Pop and Lulu,

So sorry to hear of Lulu's problems  :( , particularly that rough person who emptied her glands last time  :angry: .

Tilly has intermittent problems with her glands and I was told too that it was because her glands are narrow.  I was advised to add a spoonful of Bran to her food and I do this if her "doings  ;) " look a little loose.  It seems to help, but I don't add Bran as a matter of course, just when it seems necessary.  Tilly's glands seem to have settled down as she has got older, which is a relief, so I hope that Lulu's will too.  I too was worried by my vet mentioning operations and all sorts  :blink:  but luckily it hasn't come to that yet.

That's my experience, so I hope that helps.  I'm sorry, I have no knowledge of whether or not it is genetic, but as Tilly is a petite girlie anyway, it may be so.

Poor Lulu, hope she is not too concerned by the emptying (Tilly squeals like a stuck pig   :( :rolleyes:  :ph34r: )

Sue and Tilly

Offline Jessie

• Site Member
Anal Glands
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2005, 07:23:39 PM »
I have this problem with both my girls.  I am told it is quite common in cockers?
I give them bran in their food which helps.  Jessie is now 2 and her glands do not play up as often as when she was a pup.  However, she did drag her bottom this morning, so I will be keeping an eye out.

I would suggest trying the bran and see how it goes.  Also, the problem may lessen as she gets older.

Offline daunting

• Site Member
Anal Glands
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2005, 08:55:05 PM »
Raw chicken wings is also very good for this and the dogs love them!!
Donna, *Tia*, Saffi, Max, Harley, Egan, Mia

http://hope-rescue.proboards.com/index.cgi

Offline Em - Oscar's mum

• Site Member
Anal Glands
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2005, 09:56:42 AM »
I have caught Oscar, on occasion, wiping his bum along the floor.  I have kept an eye on him and he doesn't seem to be doing it so often now, and I know I am going to sound really thick but when you say you add bran to their diet when their bowels are loose - where do you get the bran from?  

Sorry if I seem stupid.

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
  • Look mum - no legs :)
Anal Glands
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2005, 09:59:13 AM »
I have caught Oscar, on occasion, wiping his bum along the floor.  I have kept an eye on him and he doesn't seem to be doing it so often now, and I know I am going to sound really thick but when you say you add bran to their diet when their bowels are loose - where do you get the bran from? 

Sorry if I seem stupid.
[snapback]136383[/snapback]

All bran is fine. Just add a handful to meals - no need to add milk and sugar ;)
Caroline and Alfie

Offline Em - Oscar's mum

• Site Member
Anal Glands
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2005, 10:02:08 AM »
Thank you.  I will keep a box in the cupboard just in case.  ;)

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
Anal Glands
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2005, 10:04:58 AM »
Thank you.  I will keep a box in the cupboard just in case.  ;)
[snapback]136385[/snapback]

Feeding the odd raw meaty bone or chicken wing will have the same effect. Alfie has had no problems with his glands since Ive been giving him them once or twice a week.
Caroline and Alfie

Offline Em - Oscar's mum

• Site Member
Anal Glands
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2005, 10:15:59 AM »
What age is best to start giving them bones?  As I have heard that you shouldn't give them bones until they are about 6 months.  Is this true?  Oscar is 5 months.

Offline tobycat

• Site Member
    • Elmonts Online
Anal Glands
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2005, 10:23:03 AM »
Scully is 8 now and has suffered from this on and off all her life. The vet showed me how to empty them myself and so these days I do them fairly regularly and we have no more problems. I did try to leave them alone for a few months last year to see how she got on and she ended up with them getting infected. She was on antibiotics for a couple fo weeks and I felt dreadful :(  

I've never been told about giving her bran before though. Think I'll give that a try too.
http://www.justgiving.com/lizelmont
"On judgement day if God should say, "Did you clean your house today?"
I will say, "I did not, I played with my dogs and I forgot." Anon.

Offline Jessie

• Site Member
Anal Glands
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2005, 12:55:26 PM »
I have caught Oscar, on occasion, wiping his bum along the floor.  I have kept an eye on him and he doesn't seem to be doing it so often now, and I know I am going to sound really thick but when you say you add bran to their diet when their bowels are loose - where do you get the bran from? 

Sorry if I seem stupid.
[snapback]136383[/snapback]
Hi

Just to clarify - the bran bulks up the poo so it comes out like a fat sausage rather than a thin one (sorry to be so graphic!!) , so it puts pressure on the glands and empties them.  The bran is not for use if the dog has a runny bot, as in it will not help cure a poorly tum....

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
Anal Glands
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2005, 01:09:34 PM »
What age is best to start giving them bones?  As I have heard that you shouldn't give them bones until they are about 6 months.  Is this true?  Oscar is 5 months.
[snapback]136392[/snapback]

I gave Alfie chicken wings from about 10 weeks old. However I did stop them for a while when he was teething as he wasnt able to crunch them properly and was swallowing them whole. So if you are worried wait untill all the adult teeth are in which will be around the 6 month mark
Caroline and Alfie