Author Topic: advice please - smelly dog!!?  (Read 3642 times)

Offline malcglen

• Site Member
advice please - smelly dog!!?
« on: August 17, 2004, 01:30:50 PM »
Hi there, I wonder if I could get some advice...I'm currently babysitting a wonderful 4 year old dog due to his owners change in personal circumstances....this change may become permanant and I might be adopting him full time! He's been well looked after and appears to be very clean and perfect in every way....but he does smell when he gets even the slightest bit wet - I've heard that even with regular grooming, baths and attention to ears this is unfortunately a cocker spaniel characteristic. Is this true?                    

Offline Sandie

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2004, 01:57:21 PM »
Hi,

Welcome to COL!

As for wet smelly cockers......well what can I say? Most dogs smell when they get wet.  :cry:

My two cockers, I am happy to say always smell lovely and clean but as soon as they get the slightest bit wet, they start to smell that notorious "wet dog" smell  :lol:

I hope you get to keep the little fella too. What is his name? Colour? Would love to see a picture of him in the gallery if you have one to post.  :wink:

Good luck!

Sandie, Aimee and Wesley xx                    

Offline malcglen

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2004, 02:16:50 PM »
Hi Sandie...thanks for that - how often do you bath/groom your two?                    

Offline Sandy J.

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2004, 06:50:54 PM »
I think that you should check if the smell comes from its ears. Sometimes it is connected with ear diseases. My dog - Sara- had "smelly ears" and when we went to our vet he said that the smell was a symptom of an ear inflammation...

Sandy & Sara                    

Offline Rusty

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2004, 08:47:15 PM »
Hi

Welcome to COL!!!

Rusty is just 16 weeks and recently had an ear infection  :(  :( when we took him to the vet as his ears were smelly too, he said there was loads of wax and there could also be ear mites :( so we had to use ear drops for a week and that was a nightmare trying to hold him long enough to get the ear drops in Anyway his ears are nice and clean and smell free :D  :D hope this helps!!!!

Elle & Rusty xx                    

Offline PennyB

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2004, 09:17:35 PM »
Yes I'm afraid wet dogs can tend to smell. Sometimes they can also get an infection in their lip folds which can also smell horrendous.                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Jaljen

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2004, 10:16:25 PM »
Do check the ears.

Also my dog smells more "doggy" than my partner's bitch. I actually quite like it!  :?

Think it's normal. It may depend also on teeth. Check those too. Bad breath. They should NOT have tartar, they should be white.

Good luck.                    

Offline Sandie

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2004, 11:33:12 PM »
Hi there,

It varies how often I bath my dogs. Aimee usually gets bathed every other month, she does get a good brush and comb every day.

Wesley on the other hand gets bathed nearly every week. Two reasons for this, one, I like to have him looking in tip top condition prior to a show and two, dogs tend to get a bit sticky underneath from where they pee. It sometimes makes the coat very sticky and if not careful knots can appear.

I also use an ear powder called Thornit once a week to keep the ears clean and free of any debris, plus I love the smell.

They both get their teeth cleaned once a week two. Firstly on the day before, I put a little aloe vera gel on their teeth with my finger and leave it. Then the next day I use aloe vera toothpaste to clean them. The dogs have a lovely minty breath after that and the love it. I was told that the aloe vera gel softens tartar on the teeth. Don't know if its true or not but I've always done it.

As others in previous posts have said, do check around the lip folds, sometimes cockers can get an infection there and it smells horrid so I am told. Luckily neither of my dogs have suffered from this.

I use a good brand of dog shampoo and conditioner for both of my dogs and they don't mind having a shower at all. If fact they stand there like statues........ until I turn around to get the towels.

Hope that helps.

Sandie, Aimee and Wesley xx                    

Offline malcglen

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2004, 03:40:37 PM »
wow! Thanks you all for your replies - I'll check his ears, his teeth seem fine as that was one of the first places I checked and am going to give him a good bath tonight!! I'm also going to contact a professional gromer to trim his VERY furry feet and see if she thinks his ears need thinning

Thanks again...we BOTH appreciate it!

Offline Sheila

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2004, 07:34:30 PM »
Both my dogs smell when they are wet.....I just dry them off as best as I can when we get home, that helps a little.

When they are dry I give them a good brush and use a coat conditioner spray, that seems to take the smell away and leaves them smelling lovely.

I hope that you get to keep him, you will have lots of fun.

Offline s baxter

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2004, 11:18:11 PM »
oooo coat conditioner spray,thats sounds nice ,where do you get it from?,my Alfie just adores getting wet and after a wet walk he has that wet dog smell ,has anyone got/tried the fabric bags you put your dog in to help dry them off or any other tips to rid that general wet dog smell?
sue baxter and Alfie

Offline PennyB

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2004, 11:49:18 PM »
oooo coat conditioner spray,thats sounds nice ,where do you get it from?,my Alfie just adores getting wet and after a wet walk he has that wet dog smell ,has anyone got/tried the fabric bags you put your dog in to help dry them off or any other tips to rid that general wet dog smell?
Try this site:

Hub International

I've got the Crazy dog 'baby powder' one and the 'very berry leave in conditioner', but I believe you can get crazy dog stuff from Pets at Home now.
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline s baxter

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2004, 09:13:11 AM »
oh great thanks for that
sue baxter and Alfie

Offline Juel

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2004, 11:43:42 PM »
I use a product called Pet Fresh by "Animalcare Ltd"  when Harvey gets wet...my vet stocks it & it really works.....smells of peaches!!

I think blocked anal glands can also cause a smelly pooch....might be work checking out if a good old bath doesn't freshen him up ;)

luv n licks
juel n harvey xx