Author Topic: Would you .....? and if so how?  (Read 3829 times)

Offline Krisdt

• Site Member
Would you .....? and if so how?
« on: February 10, 2007, 09:56:09 PM »
I have decided I would like Loki to be ring bearer for our wedding (I am going to get a basket for him to carry them in) but I am struggling on where to start with it (other than hold with a dumbell shaped toy) does anyone have any ideas, we do have a year but would like to start now so we can get it perfect. The second thing is what should I have him wear (I am not going to dress him up stupidly but was thinking of either a collar or a bow of some kind  :huh: )
So to the topic title, would you have your dog in your wedding and if so how would you have them involved and how would you train em?

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
Re: Would you .....? and if so how?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2007, 09:59:29 PM »
Great idea! Your best bet is to train a 'hold' as is taught to working gundogs. I'm working on this with Alfie at the moment and it can take some time but with time and perseverance he should pick it up (and hold it!) ok  :D

I think you can get little dickie-bow style collar things for occasions like this which could be quite cute.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline sarahp

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2007, 10:03:08 PM »
Great idea! Your best bet is to train a 'hold' as is taught to working gundogs. I'm working on this with Alfie at the moment and it can take some time but with time and perseverance he should pick it up (and hold it!) ok  :D

I think you can get little dickie-bow style collar things for occasions like this which could be quite cute.

seconded  ;)
Sarah & The Roan Rangers - Daisy Dog & Dill Boy

The average dog has one request to all humankind. Love me

Penel

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2007, 10:45:21 PM »
You could even teach it as a retrieve.  Put the basket somewhere in the church or wherever - and send him to get it and bring it to you....and train a bow when he's "presented" it.  And train him that when they say "you can kiss the bride" he will bark loads  :lol:    Train him to lie on a mat, so that during the service, you can send him to his (beautiful velvet) mat, and he'll lie there the whole time without you having to tell him to stay there.

Offline Shelley

• Site Member
  • Melody, Abi, Tia
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2007, 11:37:38 PM »
I would certainly have my dogs at my wedding, if I weren't already married that is!! ;)

Tia, Melody and Abi

RAW FED, CHEMICAL FREE DOGS!

Offline julesd

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2007, 12:32:22 AM »
Wasn't there a dog in a film that had a cushion thing tied around it's back and the rings were somehow held on the cushion?

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2007, 09:45:49 AM »
I think it is a lovely idea - and if you have 2 months then I think like Penel says, the sky's the limit  ;)

There is a reason that I couldn't/wouldn't do this  - and that is because not all my friends/family are dog lovers, and some a quite frightened of dogs  :-\ Just a thought - it would be a shame if some of your guests chose to leave/not come because they are worried about Loki :(
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2007, 09:51:24 AM »
Just a thought - it would be a shame if some of your guests chose to leave/not come because they are worried about Loki :(

In that case they could stay away for my liking :005:

I've been to several weddings where the dogs have been present and it's actually really nice. The owners tend to know if their dog is up to the job or not as that would be my first concern - ie how the dog itself could handle the occasion. It's not as though guests have to each take turns of holding or walking the dog etc  :005: ;).

I'm sure if there was someone though who was more important to be at the wedding than Loki then this question wouldn't have arisen in the first place.  ;)
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline Krisdt

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2007, 10:35:42 AM »
We have a year to get it sorted so I am sure he will be up to it (providing he calms down a bit) but he is only a pup so it shouldnt be a problem, all my family are animal mad so I have no probs there. Thank you all for the support and advice  :luv:

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2007, 10:58:39 AM »
I think its a great idea - I'm having my dogs at my wedding. My potential husband better hurry up and find me because at this rate there will be more dogs than guests  :005: :005:
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Mich

• Site Member
  • Bailey come back!
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2007, 11:08:16 AM »
I haven't decided if Bails and Poppy will be coming to the actual ceremony yet.  There are lots of potential problems for me - first of all acres and acres of land - they could run off and I would be worried!  Secondly there is a lake, (they both love swimming) and thirdly there are lots of ducks on that lake (they both like chasing)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

I just don't think muddy paws and my wedding dress is a combination i am willing to try! :005: :005: :005:

However I am hoping that a certain dog sitting friend of mine ( not mentioning any names PAULA!!!!) will be able to bring them along for the evening bash so I still get to share some of my day with them :luv:
  Mich, Bailey and Poppy xxxxx

Offline perrystell

• Site Member
    • Gunmoor Grooming
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2007, 11:15:04 AM »
I think its a great idea - I'm having my dogs at my wedding. My potential husband better hurry up and find me because at this rate there will be more dogs than guests  :005: :005:

:005:   :005:   :005:

I think doggy fashions have cute little collars that are fashioned like a little white shirt collar and black bow tie  :luv:

Offline Marie

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2007, 11:15:15 AM »
i'm getting married in 6 weeks time and would have loved fin to come but my husband (very soon!) to be didn't agree.

i kind of agree with him now cos i kow i wouldn't be able to relax with the pocket rocket dashing around everywhere so although i feel very mean and as though i am not inviting a member of my family  -fin is going to the kennels for the night!!

one of my friends recently got married and one of their friends brought their lab to the church and they have some fab pictures of them just married with Jake posing proudly beside them!!

i will def be getting a pic of myself, mark and fin

x
[span style=\'font-family:Optima\'][span style=\'font-family:Arial\']Marie and Finlay[/font][/span][/span]

Offline AnnieG

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2007, 04:55:39 PM »
I think it's an absolutely wonderful idea.  We brought my father's retriever to his funeral.  Not macabre or sad because it was a wonderful celebration of a lovely man and a generous life well-lived .  Anyway, his dog wore my pa's football scarf (West Ham but you can't win 'em all).  We also had someone talking about my father's pockets always being full of sweets for the village youngsters (only ones whose parents knew and respected him, I hasten to add) and his dog carried a basket of sweets round each of the pews for people to have a last choccie in memory of my dad.  It just made the whole thing.  There wasn't a single criticism, even from those who were not particularly dog-minded and the vicar thought it was such a good idea that she's written into her will that she wants her dog there too.  :blink:

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2007, 05:38:30 PM »
Just a thought - it would be a shame if some of your guests chose to leave/not come because they are worried about Loki :(

In that case they could stay away for my liking :005:

I've been to several weddings where the dogs have been present and it's actually really nice. The owners tend to know if their dog is up to the job or not as that would be my first concern - ie how the dog itself could handle the occasion. It's not as though guests have to each take turns of holding or walking the dog etc  :005: ;).

I'm sure if there was someone though who was more important to be at the wedding than Loki then this question wouldn't have arisen in the first place.  ;)

I agree  :D
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)