Author Topic: Rage...did I miss something?  (Read 5480 times)

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Rage...did I miss something?
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2004, 10:56:56 PM »
I have heard of a blue with diagnosed rage, that was put to sleep.
Rage is also seen in Springers, Golden Retrievers to name but 2   :(

There is a blue featured in the Case History section on Linda's site interestingly enough, although this case has a happier outcome than some.                    
Jane

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2004, 10:11:21 AM »
theres plently of other breeds that are alot more agressive yet they dont have the same stamp on them.

Actually the same thing happens to other breeds where there is adverse media attention - Rottweillers have a pretty undeserved reputation based on a few highly publicised incidents in the past. Bull Terriers at the moment are unfairly being branded as dangerous because of all the media furore over Princess Anne's dogs & so it carries on........                    
Jane

Offline padfoot

• Site Member
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2004, 11:20:53 AM »
Yes, this is very true. My mum's dog is a mastiff and the comments people have made to her are ridiculous, he should be muzzled etc, but he is a big baby and is scared of everything  :lol:
I grew up with breeds people think should be banned such as bullmastiffs and rottweilers and the stigma attached is a real pity, but unfortunately, when you have the yob culture walking around with mastiff breeds and Staffies etc with studded collars and names like Tyson, people become afraid based on a few incidents. Some of these breeds are already considered "dangerous dogs" in other countries when in actual fact the owners are often the danger. No breed, when handled appropriately, is dangerous.
It seems that this is different from the rage issue though because true RS is not a sign of bad ownership and is completely unpredictable, although there must be cases where inappropriate training and handling lead to behaviour problems which are wrongly passed off as "rage".                    

Offline Luvlylady

• Site Member
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2004, 01:17:41 PM »

Offline cindere528

• Site Member
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2004, 01:24:03 PM »
No breed, when handled appropriately, is dangerous.
\".

By the same token, most breeds, handled inappropriately, can be dangerous.  Take my mother's miniature Yorkie for example. (No, PLEASE TAKE MY MOTHER'S MINIATURE YORKIE!! - I wish someone would)   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:                    

Offline Silver Surfer (indiesnan)

• Site Member
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2004, 03:59:00 PM »
When i worked in rescue, i found the worst dogs for snapping and biting, were the terriers.  :shock: The bigger dogs were a lot easier to handle.                    
* Barb & Nell * ~~He who claims he knows, knows nothing. He who claims nothing knows~~

Offline padfoot

• Site Member
« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2004, 05:00:37 PM »
No breed, when handled appropriately, is dangerous.
\".

By the same token, most breeds, handled inappropriately, can be dangerous.  Take my mother's miniature Yorkie for example. (No, PLEASE TAKE MY MOTHER'S MINIATURE YORKIE!! - I wish someone would)   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

:lol:  :lol:
Totally agree.
Know what Indiesnan means about smaller dogs as well. My sister is a veterinary nurse and has met thousands of dogs, and she still maintains that smaller dogs are more often vicious. She has particularly mentioned Jack Russell's and Pekingnese. She now dreads them coming in, so in a way I do wonder if some of the vets people mentioned before have experienced a few bad-tempered cockers and this is what puts them off.
My sister has a phobia of Pekingnese dogs and if she sees them on TV at Crufts she rants at the TV saying they may look cute but they'll have people's hands off given half a chance  :lol:
There must be lots of very nice Pekingnese dogs out there though.
Saying that, she DOES like cockers and said she hasn't had any recurrent problems with them during her twelve years in the job.
When I first said I was looking for a dog before we had Millie, she said "DON'T get a terrier, a toy breed and don't get a German Shepherd, apart from that everything is fine."
Weird as we had a GSD growing up who was a lovely dog.                    

Offline Loraine

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2004, 06:32:10 PM »
Quote from:
I do wonder if some of the vets people mentioned before have experienced a few bad-tempered cockers and this is what puts them off.
[/quote

My old vet who was trained in South Africa greeted me by saying (and I quote) 'Oh dear a cocker!  You know in South Africa we're trained not to worry about the Rottie, German Shepherd, Dobermann or even a Terrier - WATCH THE COCKER SPANIEL!!  He's the one most likely to bite you.  They are unreliable and unpredictable dogs.  Don't be fooled by their cute floppy ears and melting eyes.  They can be vicious things esp the solids'  :shock:

This must have come from somewhere but what an introduction!!

When I had to go back, I was pleased that I saw a different vet and this time it was Georgia being seen.  She said in the most tremulous voice ever 'Is she going to be okay with me because I know these gold ones are vicious'  For a start, Georgia is chocolate and not gold!  :roll:

I now have a new vet.                    
Loraine and Candy xxxx

Offline Kim

• Site Member
    • Molkara Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2004, 09:08:52 PM »
Another interesting site is www.cockerspanieltac.co.uk put together by the newly formed temperment committee.                    
www.Molkara.co.uk

Save the earth; it's the only planet with chocolate.

Offline padfoot

• Site Member
« Reply #39 on: February 29, 2004, 12:55:06 AM »
Found that site very interesting. There was actually a section about possessiveness (of people) which I found helpful.                    

Offline cindere528

• Site Member
« Reply #40 on: February 29, 2004, 08:52:22 AM »
Found that site very interesting. There was actually a section about possessiveness (of people) which I found helpful.

My first Cocker, Teddy was possessive of my son.  Teddy was 7 years old when Duncan was born & people had advised me to "get rid of the dog before the baby arrives".  No way would I have done that & there was no need.  When we went out shopping, when people wanted to look at the baby (as they do) Teddy would growl & snarl -  he wasn't letting anyone near HIS baby.  I was really proud of him for guarding Duncan like he did. This was 25 years ago, & I used to leave the pram & dog tied up outside the shops (ooohhhh how times were different then!) but I knew no harm would come to them because of Teddy's attitude.

Anyway, the point I'm getting at is that even though Teddy was possessive of Duncan, it was in no way rage, he was just guarding his baby.  He was as soft as grease with the family.                    

Offline padfoot

• Site Member
« Reply #41 on: February 29, 2004, 04:06:58 PM »
Yes, Toby is very soft too, he just tends to guard the children a bit, but wit the unsettled life he's had so far it's hardly surprising.
I'd rather he didn't do it though, but we're working on it.
Made me smile actually as one of the family stories in our family is how my Nan used to leave my mum in her pram outside shops guarded by Timmy the border collie. He apparently thought mu mum was HIS baby too and he followed her everywhere.