Author Topic: at last, some quiet!  (Read 2267 times)

Offline KellyP

• Site Member
    • http://www.millies-website.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
at last, some quiet!
« on: February 29, 2004, 03:19:39 PM »
Well folks,

we brought our new puppy home on Friday. She has been christened and re-named twice, from Pepper, to Poppy and finally to Jenni, and Jenni she will stay! (Jenni Wren, 'cos she's so tiny!).

Ast first Millie just wanted to play, she scared poor Jenni to death by bouncing at her, and Jenni tried to scrabble up Tristian's trouser leg! Once she'd calmed down Millie decided she actually didn't want this new dog in her old crate (even though she hasn't used it in months! so we had folded it up!), and that she didn't want this new pup playing with her toys (we'd even bought the pup some new toys, which Millie proceeded to claim!). Then came the grumbles between them, or rather the grumbles at Jenni from Millie and we we woried that Millie wouldn't actually accepted sharing her home. (thanks for your PM Colin, it helped to know you were in a similiar boat ;) )

Anyway, Saturday and today have been pretty much non-stop WWF Wrestlemania Tag team championships ... they have wrestled and chased and fought .. the noise is un-believable, but the whole time their tails are wagging :D :D :D :D :D  Millie will actually pile-drive Jenni if she happens to be on her back... she almost 'lamb jumps' onto her (all four feet off the floor!)

Currently they are having a time-out ... which has been difficult to arrange as the crate is upstairs and it's flamin' heavy!! So, time to flex the credit muscles and buy another for downstairs and the car hehe, I've actually been looking at the collaspable canvas ones - anyone know if they're any good?  :?:

Toilet training is, well, it kinda isn't - she obviously never grasped the concept of the newspaper back at the breeders, or if she had shes forgotten! My kitchen/diner floor is covered in newspaper, which gets shuffled and shoved about when the Tag team come into play!  :roll:  :roll: its a right mess :D She's also messed in her crate (pee's and poo's even when the door has been open, to the crate and the back garden  :roll: ;) Because her toilet training isn't too hot, it's been difficult at night to know why she is crying.
The first night she was in the crate in our room and she cried and cried :( in the end I had to sleep by her (naughty I know  :shock:) but Tristian had to be up at 5am to drive to Surrey, so he needed to get some sleep.
Last night we went to bed and stayed up watching some telly, she was in the crate fast asleep, but woke about a half hour after lights out. I took her out for a pee and a poop and then back to bed. She cried for about 15minutes then went to sleep. She was awake again at 12, 3 and 6 - at 6 I got up and took her outside, she had a wee and a poop and then we went back to bed - I let her sleep on the bed this time, she was quiet and slept through til about 9am. I've got a DAP coming, which will hopefully help aswell.

So our adventures have been ok so far - the toilet training took us by surprise, but we were very luckily getting Millie, she was 15weeks and pretty much house trained, although again she never pee'd n the newspaper if it was down either  :?  :lol:
But now Jenni goes out after every play session, once she's woken up, first thing in the morning and usually either just before or just after her meal.

My mum etc came round to see her, Mum tried to steal her but it didn't work ;)

Kel
x                    
Kelly, Tristian, Millie & Jenni (double woof!)

www.millies-website.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
at last, some quiet!
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2004, 03:33:17 PM »
That brings back memories Kelly :lol:  When I brought Dallas home, Vegas thought wahey, a playmate - a few hours later, he was like"he is only visiting, isn't he, mum" :wink:  Sounds like you are going to have great fun with her :D

I bought one of those canvas crates for taking to shows, but Dallas took a tantrum one day whilst in it and scratched an almost hole in it :evil: Other than that, i think its great :roll:  :)  :)                    
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline padfoot

• Site Member
at last, some quiet!
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2004, 04:03:39 PM »
Congratulations on your new arrival Kelly! I'm sure she will pick up the toilet training eventually. Toby isn't properly house trained at 7 mths, I don't think he was really taught how to be before he came to us, so I know what you're going through, ie lots of sighs and bottles of disinfectant  :lol:
Jenni sounds lovely and it does sound like Millie is well on the way to accepting her  :)
Kelly x                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
at last, some quiet!
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2004, 04:16:55 PM »
Jenni was the name of our first Cocker so an excellent choice Kelly :)

On the subject of fabric crates, the manufacturer's website say they shouldn't be used for dogs that chew and/or dig which more or less rules them out for puppies unless closely supervised, sorry.

Good luck with the house training :)

Jane                    
Jane

Offline Mary

• Global Moderator
at last, some quiet!
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2004, 05:11:36 PM »
Hi Kelly

Glad that Jenni and Millie are getting along :wink:

I can well imagine the house training coming as a shock, everyone with more that one dog seem to say exactly the same.

Look forward to a few piccies :wink:                    
Mary & Lottie x

Offline KellyP

• Site Member
at last, some quiet!
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2004, 05:18:54 PM »
ahh - I was about to check out Outward Hound's website to look at the canvas crates.... you've saved me a trip Jane!  :wink: back to eBay it is then    :twisted:  :twisted:
Thank you all for your nice comments!

I have been taking pictures Mary, but they are either too blurred (they move to fast!) or of her sleeping .. looking as if butter woudn't melt!
But I will post some :) :) you'll just have to decipher the blurs :D                    

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
at last, some quiet!
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2004, 05:21:24 PM »
I can well imagine the house training coming as a shock, everyone with more that one dog seem to say exactly the same.

Yes - but in reverse - my springer was a NIGHTMARE to toilet train! I'm surprised I didnt go bald, the amount of hair I think I pulled out!!! Then overnight aged 8 months, was like someone flicked a switch and she was perfect. Daisy on the other hand, was fantastically easy to train, as she just followed Jazz around like a little shadow, and followed her example. I think Jenni also will cotton on sooner rather than later if Millie continues to set her good example too, so just hang in there :wink:

Look forward to seeing some pictures, if you havent aleady  :D                    

Offline bluesmum

• Site Member
at last, some quiet!
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2004, 05:28:22 PM »
Hi kelly,

As i'm hoping to add another cocker to the family myself later in the year  :wink: it is so lovely to hear that your girls are getting on so well, and i will be following your threads with great interest so please keep us updated with their progress :D                    
Maria, Blue & Bailey. xx

Offline Shirley

• Site Member
at last, some quiet!
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2004, 06:28:23 PM »
Oh Kelly, you must be having great fun  :D   I'm glad to hear that Millie is happy with her new playmate.  Can't wait to see the pictures  :D .
Maria, we're thinking along the same lines as you and hope to have another pup by the summer, so we'll be watching closely too.  Any tips and advice will be noted for future reference  :D                    
Shirley, Morgan and Cooper
Morgan's Page                                  Videos of my boys

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
at last, some quiet!
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2004, 06:28:29 PM »
Sounds like fun in your household Kelly  :lol:
Glad to hear all is going well...look forward to hearing more stories  :wink:

Gilly                    

Offline Loraine

• Site Member
    • http://
at last, some quiet!
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2004, 06:44:11 PM »
Hi Kelly

Sounds like you've had a fun weekend.  I remember when Georgia came home, Candy was just awe struck and followed her around everywhere.  At one stage she started to dribble she was that excited!

I'm pleased that all is going well for you all.

Love the name Jenni too.

Loraine  :)                    
Loraine and Candy xxxx

Offline Silver Surfer (indiesnan)

• Site Member
at last, some quiet!
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2004, 06:59:09 PM »
Hi Kelly what a lovely name. Its going to be fun and games from now on, in your house.  :D

Millie and Jenni will be inseparable.                    
* Barb & Nell * ~~He who claims he knows, knows nothing. He who claims nothing knows~~

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
at last, some quiet!
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2004, 07:14:13 PM »
Hi Kelly

Glad to hear things are going so well and that Millie is accepting Jenni so quickly. I bet you are having great fun watching them interact. :D Bloomin' tiring work though, isn't it ? :lol: I remember praying for Misty to conk out  so I could snatch the occassional micro sleep before the shenanigans started up again. I think Jimmy was praying with me as she never gave him a minutes peace. :lol:  

Hurry up with the photos ! :wink: :D                    

Offline KellyP

• Site Member
at last, some quiet!
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2004, 08:55:54 PM »
some piccies at last! check out the puppy page in the gallery ;)

Kel
x                    

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
at last, some quiet!
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2004, 09:40:18 AM »
:D Jenni is a perfect name Kel :D   So glad to hear Jenni is settling into her new home well, with Millie 8)   As we plan another, later on I am also watching your progress (no pressure then :wink: )  

I just can't wait to meet them both at the NW meet :D   Just off for a look at the piccies :lol:

Edited to say AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW she is sooooooo pretty Kelly :D  your so so lucky!!