Author Topic: What would the pups of a solid golden and a solid black.....  (Read 13711 times)

Offline sundune

• Site Member
  • Peta
Re: What would the pups of a solid golden and a solid black.....
« Reply #60 on: November 04, 2006, 12:36:24 PM »
Hiya,
no doubt i am going get pounced on now for this but what the heck.....
I have two girls both entire, ok both still too young to come into season yet but i WILL NOT keep them at home for three weeks without a walk whilst they are in season, i don't think it's fair on them at all. I won't be taking them to any parks or field ect during this time as i don't want them to come into contact with loose dogs be it bitches or dogs, entire or not.
I have bought them bitch pants in preperation though, i will be doing just lead work so to speak.
Woo betide though if any loose boys come near us whilst walking, as far as i am concerned there is a time and a place to let any sex of dog off it's lead and walking on a path next to a road is not one of them.

Offline subeeloo

• Site Member
« Reply #61 on: November 04, 2006, 01:17:04 PM »
Hiya,
no doubt i am going get pounced on now for this but what the heck.....
I have two girls both entire, ok both still too young to come into season yet but i WILL NOT keep them at home for three weeks without a walk whilst they are in season.
Woo betide though if any loose boys come near us whilst walking, as far as i am concerned there is a time and a place to let any sex of dog off it's lead and walking on a path next to a road is not one of them.

....I completely agree with you, I only have a problem with the irresponsinle ones who let there girls run off lead and therefore drive my Sammy and others potty in the process::)
You are very responsible by the sounds of it, but i don't quite understand  when you say, 'Wo betide any loose boys who come near us whilst walking', it can't be helped, it's nature, so what will you do if they DO come near you :o?  Most of them only want a sniff anyway ::)
Also your last comment about being a time and place for any sex of a dog walking next to the road :huh: :huh: I hadn't mentioned walking off lead next to a road :huh:  The ones I am on about run off lead around the playing field we go to.
'Everybody lurrves Sammy!'
03/02/04 - 27/10/14 :'(

Offline sundune

• Site Member
  • Peta
« Reply #62 on: November 04, 2006, 02:17:53 PM »
hiya,
It's not on to just let your dog wonder up to a strange dog at let it "have a sniff" how rude is that. I wouldn't just walk up to anyone and give them a cuddle would you??
Some dogs may be uncomfortable about being run up to or not like larger dogs. My two are only let off the lead when i know it is safe and if another strange dog appears they are recalled very quickly untill we have spoken to the owner and find out if it is safe.
We had a terrible experience with our goldie she was on her lead walking nicely when this blooming great shepard cross came running and barking towards us, i was afraid for myself let alone how my dog felt. I ended up having to scream and shout at the dog to get it to go away. That is bad ownership on their behalf, as i said a time and a place.
Since then i now have a water pistol with me with cider vinegar and water mix just in case something like that happens again.
I will not tolerate badly behaved owners who have no consideration for others around.
Everyone has the right to walk there dog on or off a lead but control is imperative!

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
« Reply #63 on: November 04, 2006, 03:28:13 PM »
I walk when Penny is in season, but I go at different times to avoid the regulars and I go to different locations to avoid the masses. I do let her off the lead and my eyes are everywhere. If I see another dog I call her back and I always shout across to the other owner that she is in season just so they are aware. I've not had any incidents in the last 17 years, they usually shout back one of 3 things, "Mines a girl", "He's been done" or "Thanks for that I'll put him on his lead."
As I've now got 3 dogs when Penny was last in season I walked her separate from the others so I could fully concentrate and if in the future Penny and Phoebe come in together I shall be walking each dog separately for 3 weeks.

Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #64 on: November 04, 2006, 04:08:04 PM »
It's not on to just let your dog wonder up to a strange dog at let it "have a sniff" how rude is that. I wouldn't just walk up to anyone and give them a cuddle would you??

I agree  ;)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline subeeloo

• Site Member
« Reply #65 on: November 04, 2006, 06:09:14 PM »

It's not on to just let your dog wonder up to a strange dog at let it "have a sniff" how rude is that. I wouldn't just walk up to anyone and give them a cuddle would you?

I didn't mean it the way it sounded, but it's how they are. When we are on this playing field, how are we supposed to know  300-400yds away if the dog that is being walked is either male or female or in fact in season if it's someone we haven't seen b4? I only get to realise it when i suddenly see Sammy shoot off like a bullet from a gun with me running closely behind :P. As you must know, once a male smells that scent, nothing and no amount of training or recall will bring him back to you ::)
And I have said b4, after Monday it won't be my problem, just there's!

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #66 on: November 04, 2006, 06:45:03 PM »
As you must know, once a male smells that scent, nothing and no amount of training or recall will bring him back to you ::)

I think Sammy's behaviour is at the extreme end of the spectrum; he obviously is particularly sensitive to the smell of a bitch (and pretty clever) to be able to distinguish the difference between an in-season bitch and other dogs from 400 yards, and become totally deaf as a result  ;)  Molo wouldn't even notice a dog at that distance (I appreciate that he is at the other end of the spectrum to Sammy, though  :005:).

I have chatted about this with other friends/walkers, I think it is fair to say that Sammy's behaviour is not the "norm" for entire dogs - would other COL'ers agree?
I think its important to say that for the benefit of new dog owners who may be reading this thread; it is not inevitable that a male puppy will behave like Sammy if he stays entire as an adult  ;)

The only time I have seen such a dramatic change in this type of behaviour of a matured dog is when he did "catch" a bitch - Sammy is well past adolescence, isn't he??  :huh: I'm not being critical - but if he has been walked by someone else, or gone out of sight for a few minutes, can you be sure? From what you describe of the number of off-lead bitches you encounter, it may be possible that he got the chance, iyswim  :-\
Oldies Club

Offline subeeloo

• Site Member
« Reply #67 on: November 04, 2006, 07:07:45 PM »
....he is 2 yrs and 9 mths old. He has NEVER been out of my sight at all, so i know 100% he has NEVER ever 'done it'! When i say 300-400 yds across the field, it's a football/playing field, swings, slide and see-saw at one end, and a mini Orchard at the other, we all walk around it clockwise, and if someone comes in at one of the 3 entrances, he goes to say hello. But believe me, he can sense it at that distance, he really can. The only time he tried to mount was on Tues. :o and when i came home, i made the appointment for this Monday. Fingers crossed, he won't get that scent after his op, but if he does, what then??? :huh: :-\
p.s. can I just say, I seem to get all the girl owners having a go at me, and all the boy owners agreeing with me. I started this thread for advice, and now it seems I'm being spoken to as an uncontrollable owner :-\

Offline subeeloo

• Site Member
« Reply #68 on: November 04, 2006, 07:11:44 PM »
As you must know, once a male smells that scent, nothing and no amount of training or recall will bring him back to you ::)

I think Sammy's behaviour is at the extreme end of the spectrum; Molo wouldn't even notice a dog at that distance (I appreciate that he is at the other end of the spectrum to Sammy, though  :005:).
What do you mean by that?

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #69 on: November 04, 2006, 07:17:04 PM »

I think Sammy's behaviour is at the extreme end of the spectrum; Molo wouldn't even notice a dog at that distance (I appreciate that he is at the other end of the spectrum to Sammy, though  :005:).
What do you mean by that?

I mean that Sammy notices an in-season bitch from several hundred yards, and Molo doesn't notice when he is stood next to one; not all entire dogs behave like Sammy is now - isn't this a behaviour that has come about recently for Sammy?  ;)

p.s. can I just say, I seem to get all the girl owners having a go at me, and all the boy owners agreeing with me. I started this thread for advice, and now it seems I'm being spoken to as an uncontrollable owner :-\

I own an entire dog, and do not agree with everything you have said - but do not consider you an "uncontrollable owner" either  ;)
Oldies Club

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #70 on: November 04, 2006, 07:22:31 PM »
I have chatted about this with other friends/walkers, I think it is fair to say that Sammy's behaviour is not the "norm" for entire dogs - would other COL'ers agree?

I can only speak about Billy as I don't know any other entire male owners, but Billy wouldn't bat an eyelid at a bitch in season. Not so long ago we came accross a staffie bitch in season, the poor girl was doing everything she possibly could to get Billy's attention, she was shoving her bum in his face  ph34r but Billy appeared quite disgusted by it  :005: So in comparrison to Billy Sammy is very different  ;)

Offline jann

• Site Member
« Reply #71 on: November 04, 2006, 07:25:57 PM »
Yet another example of a post going off topic!, poor subeeloo was only asking a hypothetical question ! :shades:

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #72 on: November 04, 2006, 07:31:55 PM »
Yet another example of a post going off topic!, poor subeeloo was only asking a hypothetical question ! :shades:

Don't get what you mean?  :huh:

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #73 on: November 04, 2006, 07:34:21 PM »

The hyothestical question raised some issues for discussion, though  :huh:

It's probably best not to speculate on what colour pups Sammy and his "girl friend" might have as you need to concentrate on making sure they don't produce any puppies at all ;)
Oldies Club

Offline jann

• Site Member
« Reply #74 on: November 04, 2006, 07:39:41 PM »
 ;) I was referring to the original question Jan (ie what colour would the pups be?)  :-\