Author Topic: my cocker spaniel is really naughty help am running out of patience  (Read 12657 times)

Offline wendy t

• Site Member
 please help my cocker is really naughty he just wont listen he runs off and wont come back hes forever begging for food hes also aggressive towards my sons staffy cross who lived here for 3 years till my son moved out loads of other things too anyone HELP

Offline *Theresa*

• Donator
Re: my cocker spaniel is really naughty help am running out of patience
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2007, 12:52:39 PM »
Oops you are sounding stressed. How old is your puppy?  :shades:
Theresa, Dave, Glen and Sally (or their aliases Gwendoline and Scallywag)

Offline wendy t

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2007, 12:55:31 PM »
 my dog is11 moths old

Offline Max X 2

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2007, 12:59:48 PM »
Has he always been like this or is it since he's entered the adolescence stage?
Maxine owned by Max & Harry

Offline Boof

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2007, 01:02:49 PM »
Time to go back to basics I think. Use a long line to walk him on and you can always recall him or reel him back in. This probably is just a phase of adolescence and seeing how far he can push you.

Did he go to training classes?

I know it's frustrating but it's something i'm sure a lot of people come across with young dogs of any breed.  :blink:

Offline leisl

• Donator
  • Hi-Life PAT Dog of the Year!
    • Muppet - PAT Dog of the Year Winner 2010/2011
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2007, 01:10:54 PM »
Hi, yes I am going to echo, back to square one.  Try not to let him phase you or he will sense it and play you up even more.  Basic basic stuff, ignore all bad behaviour and praise the good, have you thought about just one member of the family taking over the training?  It is not clear from your mail who is ding what.

Persevere, it will be worth it.
Leisl, Muppet & Krumble
Orange ones are more juicy!!

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2007, 01:24:46 PM »
Has your dog been taught a reliable recall command? Did he come back before and has just started running off or has he always done this?

With the aggression, what form does this take? Is it over things like toys and treats? Does he bark and growl or does he actually bite?

Cockers can go through a very trying 'teenage' stage at about the age your dog is now, mine certainly did and it nearly drove me mad but with a lot of patience and persistence we are starting to come through it now and he is getting a lot better (he is now nearly 13 months old) but it is important to have a good grounding in training to work on as well.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2007, 02:09:36 PM »
 Try not to view your dogs behaviour through human eyes.
Dogs are not naughty! they are just dogs and do not comprehend the human values of right and wrong.
It is up to us owners to find a means of showing our dogs what is and what is not acceptable behaviour. We can not expect the dog to know this without being shown.
As Nicola said this adolescent phase can be a problem when dogs push the boundries set by their owners.
Do lots of training with your dog, practice self control exercises,make the dog work for his perks, be consistent and maybe enlist the help of a reputable trainer before things get any further out of hand.
Best of luck
Mark

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline DennyK

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2007, 03:00:46 PM »
Wendy

sorry if you know this - I didn't till someone posted a link to a picture - but when people on here talk about using a "long lead" or "long line" on your dog, they DON'T mean those extendable leashes which come out of a round plastic casing with a built in handle.  They mean a length of line, (often nylon webbing) about 20 to 30 metres long, which is designed to be used as a training aid.  My dog (15 months) has recently started sodding round with recall and only comes back about half the time so I'm going to invest in a long line to sort this out.  If I recall correctly the advice on here (I'll seach some old threads and see if I can post a link to a detailed description), you don't let your dog have any "off lead" walks - you use the long line all the time.  To start with, you only use about 3 to 5 metres of the length.  Call your dog back and use a treat of favourite toy/game to tempt and reward.  If the dog ignores you, I think you very gently "reel him in" using the line - so he learns he can't avoid coming back.  You don't punish for the failed recall - just an "oh oh" noise - but you don't reward either.  Then let the line out and try again.

have to admit, it sounds like quite a lot of work and I'm not looking forward to it, but the final straw was last weekend when Paddy disappeared in the direction of the car park (and road) and would not even look in my direction.  I had to count to ten to calm down I was so mad: really wanted to throttle him!  So training on a long line it is.

I sympathise with you being at the end of your tether, but I have to say that once you stop thinking that a dog can think in terms of "right and wrong", you can usually remain calmer and more detached.  It isn't "naughty" - it's just he's not doing what you want and so you have to teach him, calmly, kindly and patiently (HAH! when the little sod is driving you to distraction  >:D ) what it is that you DO want.

There's a great book by Jean Donaldson called "The Culture Clash" which explains so much of this and gives fantastic training guidance and I'd really recommend that you buy a copy - it's a constant reference book (ashamed to admit that I now keep it in the downstairs loo!!).

with your son's dog - are you sure that it's not that your dog is frightened of your son's dog?  Often times, a dog is labelled as "aggressive" when actually it's fear that's making them aggressive - if your son's dog treats the place as his own (and he lived there for 3 years) and maybe your dog is fearful, your boy may go on the attack to get the staffy to go away.  Is your dog neutered?  Is the staffy cross a boy or girl?  If a boy - neutered or not?

Finally, if you're finding that it's all too much, try looking for a reputable behaviourist who uses modern, kind methods (none of this dominance theory stuff or harsh methods) who could come to your house and see your dog in his home environment.  He/she could then identify "cause and effect" in your dog's behaviour and in your reactions - and train you in ways to train your dog out of these habits.

if you post where you live (i.e. the town/area) then there will probably be someone on here who can give you a recommendation for a good behaviourist near to you.

Keep posting!

Denise

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2007, 03:04:24 PM »
Unless I'm missing something Wendy is a new member and has only made two posts - both of which are this thread.

I think a lot more information is needed before we can say what needs to happen. Although we know the dog concerned is 11 months old, we don't know how long he's been with Wendy or what any of the other circumstances are.

Wendy - if you cxould give more detail please then we can see what might or might not help you. ;)
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2007, 03:32:41 PM »
Wendy has PM'd me regarding Harry and his recall and aggression issues and I have advised her to contact a local APDT trainer and provided a list in her area. I have also recommended a house line so that she can control Harry at home without being hurt herself and to start whistle training for recall work. I also checked this with our resident expert Mark and he gave me the thumbs up!  ;)
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2007, 04:17:26 PM »
Wendy has PM'd me regarding Harry and his recall and aggression issues and I have advised her to contact a local APDT trainer and provided a list in her area. I have also recommended a house line so that she can control Harry at home without being hurt herself and to start whistle training for recall work. I also checked this with our resident expert Mark and he gave me the thumbs up!  ;)
I think the advice given to date is good.
I do agree with Pammy however that to help effectively via the internet lots more info is required from Wendy
My advice would be to seek out the trainer as Nicola has suggested so they can see the dog and Wendy in their own environment and assess the dog and dog / owner relationship first hand.
mark

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline cdpops

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2007, 05:17:01 PM »
Hello Wendy
Hi I am sorry I have nothing helpful to add. But just to reassure you I went through similar experiences with my dog and there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Try and stay positive and keep in touch this is a good place to let off steam.

Offline LouiseAS

• Inactive
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2007, 05:32:04 PM »
Hi Wendy,

Nothing to add really except the advice offered her is all good.  I know it is easy to get frustrated with our dogs but I've learned from experience that if you deal with situations calmly you get much better results than getting stressed and raising your voice.

Your cocker is just being a typical dog and even aggression is not him being naughty (I have an aggressive dog) just them doing what comes naturally.

If you look through our posts on here we all have problems at one time or another but people on here are very supportive and are always there for you.

Read "The Culture Clash" by Jean Donaldson it's well worth a read and teaches you to look at things through the dogs eyes.

Good luck
Louise & my beautiful girl Meg xx