Author Topic: New member  (Read 1837 times)

Offline LesleyP

• Site Member
« on: April 06, 2004, 09:21:41 AM »
Hi

I am new to the forum, actually new to any forum!

We have just welcomed to our home a 11 month tri colour called Bob.  He is a rescue puppy (previously called Bubba) and although we have some of his history (2 homes, one only a week) we get the impression he was used as a toy for a lot of small children.  He gets very excitable but is responding really well to some basic training/commands.  Anyway we already love him to bits!

We have a problem - we have 2 cats.  Bob wants to play they run a mile.  Any suggestions?                    

Offline andrea

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2004, 10:09:02 AM »
I don't have cats so can't help you there. Just wanted to welcome you to the site and wish you well. It's amazing how quickly they find a place in your heart. :D

Andrea, Phil and Bleu.                    

Offline tittyfaloo

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2004, 11:21:10 AM »
Hi Lesley, welcome to the board.

My dog Maggie is 5 & 1/2 months old and she wants to play with my cat Fred who is 12.

He jumps up onto the back of the setee and stays out of her way!

Samantha x                    
* KEEP SMILING *

Offline Anita

• Site Member
  • Phoebe 21/8/02 - 1/11/16, Libby (2/4/05 - 25/11/16
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2004, 11:45:09 AM »
Hi Lesley

Welcome to the site. I think patience is needed :) My cat is 12 and I thought she wouldn't get used to a dog in the house. This morning they were both on our bed having a cuddle right next to each other so there is hope.

The cat even sits on my shoulder if Phoebe is on my lap :roll: . I just made sure Holly had escape routes and had some one to one attention away from the dog. I also used NO alot to Phoebe so she gave the cat a bit of peace.

One tip, once the pup can be trusted a bit at meal times, feed them side by side. It has helped to reinforce that the cat was here first.

HTH                    
Anita

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2004, 12:53:42 PM »
Welcome to the forum Lesley!

I've got two cats who co-exist with my spaniels - one has always followed the dogs round as if she were one herself - sleeps in their basket too - the other is a bit more anti-social, but will tolerate them with a :roll: look if they get too close. Your cats will adapt at their own pace to the new addition, but as Anita says, make sure the cats haves freedom to move about as usual and has space away from the pup should they want it, and discourage Bob from being too boisterous towards them :wink:                    

Offline Dessie

• Site Member
  • Marvin, Oliver & Douglas
    • Derrindee Spaniels
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2004, 01:27:53 PM »
Welcome Lesley

Can't help with the cat problem as since I had Douglas they all chase them now whereas my older two Sebastian and Bart used to share the bed with one of the cats  :roll:  :roll:                    
Dessie, Douglas, Marvin & Oliver (ESS)(The Guernsey Crew) :D :D

Derrindee Spaniels
Guernsey, Channel Islands

scoobie

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2004, 05:05:33 PM »
Hallo Lesley and bob welcome to COL I haven't got any cats just wanted to say hi
Edith and scoobie                    

Offline *-Nikki-*

• Site Member
    • www.nicibec-cockers.moonfruit.com
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2004, 05:39:50 PM »
Hi Lesley & Bob,

Welcome 2 COL! Srry don't have any cats, so I can't help on that front. Although, at my work I know that cats and dogs get on very well it just takes time! :lol:

Good luck with Bob!  :wink:

Nic x                    

Offline bluesmum

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2004, 06:01:24 PM »
Hello Lesley and Bob :D

Sorry no cats to help with advice but just wanted to welcome you to COL :D                    
Maria, Blue & Bailey. xx

Offline LesleyP

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2004, 07:37:48 AM »
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who replied to my message.

I have never been on a forum before and it is reassuring there are a lot of people out who can offer advice or just say a friendly 'hello'!

Thanks again everyone.

Lesley & Bob                    

Offline Silver Surfer (indiesnan)

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2004, 12:24:50 PM »
Hi Lesley, welcome to COl.  :D  Have you put Bobs photo in the gallery  we would love to see him.                    
* Barb & Nell * ~~He who claims he knows, knows nothing. He who claims nothing knows~~