Author Topic: Breeding my first litter  (Read 9682 times)

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Breeding my first litter
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2004, 08:10:14 PM »
All my dogs have cod liver oil, is this safe for in whelp bitches or does this contain Vit A :?:  
Thanks for the advice re calcium,  should calcium be added once there feeding or should milk provide enough for the bitch.

No I wouldn't give cod liver oil to a pregnant bitch - it does indeed contain Vitamin A. Some breeders do give a calcium supplement once puppies are born but I haven't found it necessary as long as you're feeding a high quality complete diet. I would avoid giving milk to a bitch that has had puppies unless you're sure she can tolerate it - bitches often have loose motions after giving birth & feeding milk to her can make the problem worse :wink:

Jane                    
Jane

Offline looby lou

• Site Member
  • Georgia
    • http://www.jayzander.co.uk
Breeding my first litter
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2004, 01:50:20 PM »
Thanks again for this , the cod liver oil lid is tightly on.
To change the subject this is for Jane S. is that picture you have under your name a bitch called Sunflower :?:  if it is I have admired her from visiting my first ever show. I went to watch one in feb 03 to observe what happens when I was thinking of showing and I saw this most pretty bitch and spoke to the person with her who was very very helpful. I have since seen Sunflower do well after a short absence and think she is the most adorable orange I have ever seen. If it is yours I wish you continued success with her :lol:                    
To see our dogs visit
www.jayzander.co.uk

Looby Lou

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Breeding my first litter
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2004, 03:19:26 PM »
Thanks again for this , the cod liver oil lid is tightly on.
To change the subject this is for Jane S. is that picture you have under your name a bitch called Sunflower :?:  if it is I have admired her from visiting my first ever show. I went to watch one in feb 03 to observe what happens when I was thinking of showing and I saw this most pretty bitch and spoke to the person with her who was very very helpful. I have since seen Sunflower do well after a short absence and think she is the most adorable orange I have ever seen. If it is yours I wish you continued success with her :lol:

Aww thanks :) Yes my avatar is indeed Ruby aka Sun Flower. We did have to stop showing her last year as she lost all her feathering but she's back now :) She is a pretty girl except when she's covered in mud like she is today as it's raining :lol:

Jane                    
Jane

Offline Michele

• Site Member
Breeding my first litter
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2004, 06:03:11 PM »

Aww thanks :) Yes my avatar is indeed Ruby aka Sun Flower. We did have to stop showing her last year as she lost all her feathering but she's back now :) She is a pretty girl except when she's covered in mud like she is today as it's raining :lol:  

Jane

And Otis still loves her, any which way                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Breeding my first litter
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2004, 10:58:09 PM »

And Otis still loves her, any which way

Otis 8) is still the coolest dude in Ruby's eyes too :D                    
Jane

Offline Luvlylady

• Site Member
Breeding my first litter
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2004, 11:35:13 PM »
otis is a little cutie as well :) ruby always looks good in her pics , bout time we saw some more of all the mods dogs in the gallery :) well it would be nice  :lol:

I know exactly what you mean about mud and feathering yesterday in the rain I was looking at bells feathering yes it has to be white only on the back of her legs  :roll:  , and was wondering how you lot with orange roans get on with mud ...at this moment bellas white bit of feathering is light brown No matter how much washing it dosent get it out  how do you get it out ?? Tumy seems to have been stained a orange colour too it must be the clay about the park  .                    

Offline Laura

• Site Member
Breeding my first litter
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2004, 09:22:42 AM »
We have a baby bath that now lives on top of the freezer by the back door - a quick splash down with warm plain water works quicker for us than a rub down only - then off he trots to the living room to curl up to dry..  

Don't mind the mud too much - its the freshly cut grass that plays havoc - but have said before that he should be an Orange Groan :roll:  the mess he gets into :lol:                    
Laura x

Run free together boys. Missing you both xx
Bailey  29/04/04 - 16/03/11
Brogan 29/07/03 - 22/10/09

Offline speedyjaney

• Site Member
Breeding my first litter
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2004, 04:29:31 PM »
Jessies white bits stay white for a week or two after a bath or a visit to the groomers but they are usually a dirty brown colour...from the clay soil in our garden and around here. We have just collected her (and saffi)from the groomers where they have bith been bathed and trimmed...they look lovely...until saffi finds the next pile of fox poo...and jessie paddles through a muddly puddle  :twisted:
Jane                    

Offline Luvlylady

• Site Member
Breeding my first litter
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2004, 10:54:41 PM »
it must be the clay about nottingham then jane . its everywhere   , ill have to keep my eye out for a special shampoo or somthing :)                    

Offline looby lou

• Site Member
  • Georgia
Breeding my first litter
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2004, 08:37:42 AM »
hi again everyone,
a little note to let you all know that it looks like my little orange, Millie is not having puppies this time. I took her for a check up and my vet ( who I get on with well) took us through to have a  sneaky scan so we could see the pups and there was nothing there. She has a nice liver, good size kidneys, a bladder, spleen - we saw the lot, but no babies :(
Obviously not meant to be this time. More time for me means more time to soak up even more knowledge and be even more prepared which of course can never be a bad thing.
The best news of all is that Millie had a good check over inside and out and she is wonderfully fit and should make a good brood bitch :D                    
To see our dogs visit
www.jayzander.co.uk

Looby Lou

Offline Luvlylady

• Site Member
Breeding my first litter
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2004, 01:40:58 AM »
aww thats a shame never mind her time will come soon :) Im sure another chance will pop up at least you know shes in really good condition and it gives you more time to learn :D millies only young plenty of time left for cute lil pups left :)                    

Offline Sharon

• Inactive
  • Bramble
Breeding my first litter
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2004, 11:36:30 AM »
Sorry to hear your news Looby lou, I wish my girl had missed, instead she has aborted 10 pups over the past 2 days, I feel physically and emotionally drained.  My girl is acting as though nothing has happened which I should be thankful for and that she is fit and healthy.

Good luck next time, I'm sure it will all work out.                    

Offline Sandie

• Site Member
    • http://
Breeding my first litter
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2004, 03:13:59 PM »
Sharon,

I am so sorry to hear your news. How far had your little girl gone before she started aborting her puppies? 10 puppies is a lot of babies. Hopefully she will have a smaller and successful litter next time.

My thoughts are with you, I just hope my little girl doesn't do the same.

Best wishes,

Sandie, Aimee and Wesley xx                    

Offline looby lou

• Site Member
  • Georgia
Breeding my first litter
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2004, 07:11:27 PM »
so sorry to hear your news sharon :( . That must be really awful to lose those babies, you must be gutted. It wasn't meant to be for both of us this time :cry:
take care                    
To see our dogs visit
www.jayzander.co.uk

Looby Lou