Author Topic: Introducing a new cocker to a family who already has one..  (Read 845 times)

Offline Tammy

• Site Member
I wonder if anyone could give me any advice.

I currently own a 12 month old male neutered cocker (blue roan) I am going to see a female cocker (orange roan) this Saturday to see if they get on as she needs to be re-homed due to circumstances at home (nothing to do with the dog) I've been told she loves other dogs and is very friendly, my cocker is also the same.

I am planning on travelling there with my husband and "Bosley"
When I get there I have decided to go in on my own first while my husband walks Bosley, I thought it would be best to do it this way as I wouldn't want Bosley getting jealous and it would give me the chance to see how the dog is. I thought the next thing to do would be not to take Bosley in the house straight away but to go out on a walk together then take them both back to her house and go from there.

Would this be ok??? or would anybody suggest otherwise??                    

Tammy, Dave & our lovely little fella, Bosley

Offline lizzy

• Site Member
    • http://
Introducing a new cocker to a family who already has one..
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2004, 07:59:42 PM »
Hi Tammy,

Your suggestion sounds fine, letting them meet on neutral ground is always the best option, you could always let them have a free run somewhere safe and enclosed so they can have a play.

It usually takes a short while for things to settle down but you should be fine as long as you take things slowly and make sure your "old dog " gets lots of love and affection so he does'nt get jealous. Good Luck :D

Lizzy Molly and Evie                    

Lizzy Molly and Evie

Offline cindere528

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2004, 09:43:36 PM »
Good luck with your introduction.  Hopefully by the end of the weekend you'll be a 2 cocker family like me  :D                    

Offline daftcockers

• Site Member
    • http://www.chaysonniecockers.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2004, 11:19:39 PM »
We introduced our on neutral ground and then they travelled home together in the car, then we took them ino the garden for a play before going in the house this has worked fine for the last 3 dogs we've introduced into the household. Good luck :D . Do you have far to travel                    
WWW.CHAYSONNIECOCKERS.CO.UK

Thanks susan and the gang

Offline Tammy

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2004, 08:56:03 AM »
Thanks for your replies....

We only have 50 miles to travel. If all goes ok her current owner wants to bring her to my house a few days later, just so she can check us out, not surprised really...I would do the same.

Fingers crossed all will go well.                    

Tammy, Dave & our lovely little fella, Bosley

Offline cindere528

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2004, 09:03:23 AM »
I think that's a good idea.  We did that when we got Bess.  We already had Robin & we asked Bess's owners to bring her to meet Robin on his territory.  There were no probs whatsoever.  Alas, Robin went to the Bridge 3 years ago (aged 16) I still have Bess, but she now has little brother Dillon as a companion.  When I met Dillon, I had about a 120 mile journey to collect him but I took Bess with me so that they met on neutral ground.  Dillon then travelled home in the car with Bess & me.  Someone advised me to make sure Bess went into the house first when we got home, it sounded likegood advice, so that's what I did.  Bess is 12 years old, & Dillon is about 5.  I've had no problems with them apart from one very tiny skirmish during the first week.