Author Topic: Should I leave them too it?  (Read 1442 times)

Offline bluesmum

• Site Member
Should I leave them too it?
« on: May 30, 2004, 10:06:16 AM »
Blue is so laid back, and at the moment getting quite a hard time from the dreaded Bailey Bully! :twisted:

Bailey seem's to want everything Blue has! now I know I'm not supposed to intervene and as hard as it's been to watch I haven't.........yet! :roll:  do I continue to allow Bailey Bully to keep taking from Blue and watching his little sad face or do I give whatever it is back to Blue and try to entice Bailey away with something else?                    
Maria, Blue & Bailey. xx

Offline lizzy

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2004, 11:03:20 AM »
Hi Maria,

I know exactly how you feel! Its so hard to stand by and watch your lovely "big dog" getting beaten and abused by your new little whipper snapper!

I think at this stage it's best to leave them to it, to eatablish the pecking order, if Bailey does anything really naughty I'm sure Blue will give him a growl and sort him out! :wink:

Don't forget it's early days and they are both still finding their feet, Bailey has just left his littermates and is used to playing rough and tumble, it won't take him long before he knows his place, :D

When we brought Evie home I worried just the same as you, Evie was very rough with Molly, never giving her a minutes peace, biting, play fighting, stealing her toys, and I worried that we had a little monster on our hands :twisted: but things have settled down now (Evie is 19 weeks) and Molly is definately Top Dog, even though Evie still trys it on!

Just try and relax :wink: all will be fine I'm sure

Lizzy Molly and Evie                    

Lizzy Molly and Evie

Offline bluesmum

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2004, 12:22:36 PM »
I think at this stage it's best to leave them to it, to eatablish the pecking order, if Bailey does anything really naughty I'm sure Blue will give him a growl and sort him out! :wink:

That's just it Lizzy, if Blue did give a growl, I would feel better but he just drop's whatever he has and let's Bailey take it, Bailey also hangs on to Blue's ear's for dear life!!! and the poor thing just yelp's and tries to fling him off by shaking his head!

I find myself sitting watching them willing Blue to put our little tyrant in his place, and then I feel so cruel because Bailey is so small and I have to say it is funny to watch this tiny version of Blue being such a bully!!!! :roll:  :lol:                    
Maria, Blue & Bailey. xx

Offline lizzy

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2004, 12:49:52 PM »
Blue is such a gentleman is'nt he! :D  You might find that Bailey is going to be more assertive than Blue and he might be Top Dog eventually,

Molly still puts up with our little madam Evie 99% of the time letting her get away with alsorts of stuff but god forbid if Evie comes for a cuddle when Molly is on my knee and Molly will give her a snarl and thats enough to warn her!

I would'nt worry to much yet!

Lizzy Molly and Evie :lol:                    

Lizzy Molly and Evie

Offline Silver Surfer (indiesnan)

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2004, 01:02:23 PM »
Blue is such a gentleman is'nt he! :D  You might find that Bailey is going to be more assertive than Blue and he might be Top Dog eventually,

Lizzy Molly and Evie :lol:

Thats my opinion as well Lizzy, i know Blue, and he's a real gentleman. To be honest, i can't see him being top dog.  :?

Maria , for the moment i would leave them to it, unless Blue is realy being hurt.
You never know, he might just get so fed up, he'll let Baily know.

If Blue is dropping his toys, its obvious, he's not to bothered about them being taken anyway.  :D                    
* Barb & Nell * ~~He who claims he knows, knows nothing. He who claims nothing knows~~

Offline KellyP

• Site Member
    • http://www.millies-website.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2004, 05:16:27 PM »
Hi Maria,

I know exactly what you mean - Poor Millie puts up with allsorts from Jenni, from pushing her out of the basket (yes she will do this, she practically sits on Millie untill Millie gives up and goes to sit on the floor :( ) to actually pinching her food when she's eaiting from her bowl..

Most of the time I just leave them to it - Millie has growled and snapped at Jenni probably 3 times in a menacing "I've had enough" kinda way - the rest of the time she just seems to put up with this little tazmainian devil she has hanging off her ears  :roll:  :shock:

The times when Millie has grumbled at her Jenni instantly knew that enough was enough and left her alone.
If the noise and tumble is getting too much for me to cope with (let alone Millie!  :roll: ) I have a command, "enough!" and they stop, and settle down quietly, sometimes its only for minutes though :lol: :lol:                    
Kelly, Tristian, Millie & Jenni (double woof!)

www.millies-website.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

Offline Dessie

• Site Member
  • Marvin, Oliver & Douglas
    • Derrindee Spaniels
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2004, 06:08:32 PM »
Sebastian has had to put up with things being taken from him by both Bart and now Douglas.  Sebastian has only ever told either Bart & Douglas off when he has had enough and with Douglas he has only been told off by Sebastian twice.  The younger dog will always push and see how far they can push the older dog, this is all part of growing up I would say and to me seems perfectly normal behaviour, although us humans see it as unfair on the older dog.                    
Dessie, Douglas, Marvin & Oliver (ESS)(The Guernsey Crew) :D :D

Derrindee Spaniels
Guernsey, Channel Islands

Offline bluesmum

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2004, 07:13:38 PM »
i know Blue, and he's a real gentleman.

So I'm to just leave them too it then as hard as it is :(

I'll just keep telling myself - it is normal behaviour, it does get better, it is normal behaviour, it does get better, it is normal behaviour, it does get better!!!

Thanks guy's :wink:  :lol:                    
Maria, Blue & Bailey. xx

Offline PennyB

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2004, 09:41:06 PM »
It does get better. Ruby is a real bossy boots and Wilf was like a little old gentleman (he's now a bit of a hooligan!). Ruby constantly picked on Wilf and wouldn't let him have any toys, but I just let them get on with it.

One thing I did do though was as they needed to be trained separately I used to go out with Wilf for half an hour and play ball or whatever so that he could at least know what it was like to get the ball without having the bossy madam take it off him all the time.                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!