Author Topic: Getting my puppy on Saturday  (Read 5235 times)

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
  • Look mum - no legs :)
Getting my puppy on Saturday
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2004, 11:17:37 AM »
Hi Jo

How exciting for you :D
No wonder you cant sleep. Im in the same boat and Ive only just been told that there is a pup available for me so I have at least five weeks of sleepless nights ahead :)

Looking forward to seeing pics of Woody

Suki                    
Caroline and Alfie

Offline JoHarborne

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2004, 11:55:45 AM »
The waiting is definitely the worse bit!  We knew that our breeder's bitch was pregnant and then we had a three week wait until the birth and then 8 more weeks until we can take our puppy home!  

What are you hoping for?  Colour?  Dog or bitch?  Have you had a Cocker before?                    
Jo, Woody\'s owner

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2004, 12:06:18 PM »
Hi Joe

We have a blue roan dog earmarked for us. We wont be able to "choose" as we are the last on the list but I dont care as long as hes fit and healthy  as Im sure it will be love on first sight  :D

This will be our second. We lost Gunnar to a heart tumour two months ago. He was a solid black and in my eyes the bee's knees.

So although Ive been through the new puppy bit before, it was a long time ago and I think because I have done it once before Im more excited this time. The sleepless nights, getting up at unearthly hours, the chewed shoes - all worth it.

Keep us all posted with how its going

Suki                    
Caroline and Alfie

scoobie

« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2004, 01:16:49 PM »
Hi Jo your soooo lucky I lurve the black cockers :D I have a blue roan scoobie who will be 5 in august..great to have you on board
Edith and scoobie :D                    

Offline JoHarborne

• Site Member
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2004, 01:34:11 PM »
Mmm - I  keep hearing about this sleepless night thing!  Isn't it best to leave the pup as long as he's not overly distressed?  Aren't you supposed to break the psychological response of "if I cry, Mummy will come running"?                    
Jo, Woody\'s owner

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2004, 01:57:05 PM »
Yep thats the way its " supposed" to happen   :lol:

Once they start whining it takes a strong wo/man to be able to sleep through it :)

Suki                    
Caroline and Alfie

Offline Dunton4

• Site Member
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2004, 04:11:36 PM »
Hi Jo, Welcome to COL.  We're looking forward to seeing pictures of Woody.  Tilly is a black cocker too (sorry, that sounds like a black cockatoo!) and she is always on the lookout for a good looking boy :wink: !

Sue, Emily and Tilly                    

Offline JoHarborne

• Site Member
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2004, 04:44:40 PM »
Judging by that lovely picture of Tilly, she could eat Woody for lunch!!!  I'll let you know how handsome he is and whether he's into girls.  We had a friend with a gay Weinerama (can't spell it!) and boy did that make for interesting dog walks!!!                    
Jo, Woody\'s owner

Offline Andrea L

• Site Member
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2004, 05:09:19 PM »
hi Jo
Silas has settled in amazingly well :D Both nights there has been only a token resistanceof a few minutes before giving up and going to sleep!! (Still waiting for' normal ' night time noise to kick in :? ) He hasn't eaten very much since he's ben here, I think all this new found freedom and loads of new sights and smells are more important at the moment.We have had three and a half dog-less years while waiting for the kids to grow up a bit and it's great to have a dog around again(wees poos and all!! :roll: )Let us know how Woody settles in.We can have "how many hours sleep did you get last night?"competitions!!! :D  :D                    
lots of woofs n' licks,
Andrea, Silas and Marley

Offline JoHarborne

• Site Member
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2004, 09:12:26 PM »
Hello again Andrea!

Will definitely keep you up to date with Woody's progress.  I do like the name Silas - how did you come up with that?  Good to hear he's settled in so well and I bet the kids love him to bits too!  Woody is our child substitute!  We made the decision not to go down the child route but I'm wondering whether having a puppy will make me feel maternal.  It is very strange being the only married girl I know in her 30s with no children.  Are your kids going to do their share of caring for Silas (like walking him/cleaing up after him?)                    
Jo, Woody\'s owner

Offline Sheila

• Site Member
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2004, 04:16:21 PM »
Welcome and good luck for today with collecting your new pup.

I hope everything goes really well for you.

We have had our little one home for 6 days now and it is going great.
It feels like she has been with us for ages.
Let's see some piccies as soon as you are able to post :D                    

Offline JoHarborne

• Site Member
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2004, 10:07:47 PM »
Well Woody is here!!   :lol: He's had a really full day and we are so proud of him and how he has coped.  The worst thing was leaving Lin, his breeder, who always gets upset when one of her "babies" leaves the nest!  Woody loved the car and was only a tiny bit sick about two minutes before we got to the house.  He's had three good meals, played outside - pulled up a few of my plants!! - done all but one of his businesses in the garden and played and played and played.   It's bedtime now and we're turning in early because we're expecting a different sort of dawn chorus!!!

One question - why does he like to take his toys and hide them in the garden?  Is this a gundog trait?  

Will post some pictures tomorrow but could somebody tell me when exactly a Cocker puppy sits still long enough for a photo?!?!   :D

:D                    
Jo, Woody\'s owner

Offline lizzy

• Site Member
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2004, 10:28:46 PM »
Welcome home Woody!!!

He sound's like a little angel, hope your 1st night goes OK! :D

Lizzy Molly and Evie                    

Lizzy Molly and Evie

Offline Sheila

• Site Member
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2004, 10:59:41 PM »
Good Luck with tonight, I hope he sleeps well. :D

I can't wait to see some piccies, but I agree, it is very difficult catching pups when they are still. Maybe you can catch one of him when he is asleep :lol:                    

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2004, 11:40:50 PM »
Welcome  home Woody  :)

Its sounds like you had a really wonderful day today Jo. Hope you are getting loads of rest right now  :wink:

The toy thing? Gunnar done that when he was young as well. Done it with any treats as well. We put it down to him "hiding" them away from the rest of the "pack" Quite funny watching him try to "bury" things in the carpet  :lol:  He soon stopped it in the house put carried it on when he was out in the park for ages. Give him a treat when trying to train him and off he went to bury it and any ball thrown for him,he swiftly ran off to hide it under a bush. Guess its a cocker thing :)

Enjoy it all and look forward to the piccies

Suki                    
Caroline and Alfie