Author Topic: Fly Spray Warning..........  (Read 2296 times)

Offline tracey

• Site Member
    • http://www.quintaviacockerspaniels.co.uk
Fly Spray Warning..........
« on: August 16, 2004, 10:01:15 AM »
I had a phone call recently from a lady looking for a cocker puppy. She was telling me she had recently lost 2 cockers. I said how sad how old were they? When she said 3 years I was naturally shocked and asked what had happened.

Apparantly this lady had flies in her kitchen due to the heat and had used fly spray. Her cockers were in the kitchen at the time. Well they both became very poorly very quickly and were rushed to the vet who tried very hard to save them but they both died.

It appears a post mortem revealed the fly spray probably killed them.

I have posted this to warn people to be Very Careful if using fly spray around any animals.

Tracey.                    
http://www.quintaviacockerspaniels.co.uk

Love All
Trust A Few
Do Wrong To None
William Shakespeare

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2004, 10:06:53 AM »
:shock:  :( Omg Tracey, thats awfull!  Thanks for the warning, as I use fly spray in the conservatory, we seem to be getting bombarded with wasps in there, and often use it to kill them.  After the warning though, I won't be any more, think I will revert back to the rolled up newspaper.

I also use the citronella deterants, I wonder if they are safe?                    

Offline Silver Surfer (indiesnan)

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2004, 10:24:52 AM »
Awww how sad, she must be devastated.  :cry: We used to use fly spray, but don't anymore. We spatter them with a news paper, or a flip flop.  :shock:                    
* Barb & Nell * ~~He who claims he knows, knows nothing. He who claims nothing knows~~

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
  • Look mum - no legs :)
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2004, 10:31:16 AM »
Try to get hold of fly papers. They are pretty ugly but do the job. for those who have never heard of them they are rolls of really sticky paper that you hang from the ceiling and the flies get stuck fast to them (so do you if not carefull when hanging them)  :lol:

I only stopped using sprays because we used to have tropical fish, i never knew they were toxic to dogs, thanks for the warning. What a shame that lady had to find out the hard way  :cry:

Caroline and Alfie                    
Caroline and Alfie

Offline Sandy J.

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2004, 11:19:51 AM »
That's sad... Poor dogs :(  
I didn't know that a fly spray can cause such problems... That's really suprising for me. Thank you for the warning.

Sandy & Sara                    

Offline Tracey J

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2004, 11:27:07 AM »
I went to use fly spray yesterday but stopped myself at the last minute.  Don't know what stopped me but Molly was sitting watching me and I remembered how it made me sneeze and wondered if it would make her sneeze too.  Decided against it, and thank goodness.  I couldn't have lived with myself if that happened to me.  Poor dogs (and poor owner!) :cry:

Thank you so much for the warning - the can is now in the bin.                    
Tracey, Molly &  little brother Brodie!

scoobie

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2004, 11:50:04 AM »
what a tradegy the poor woman losing her beloved cockers that way :cry:
I never use fly spray especially around scoobie always had a bad feeling about the stuff  :cry: I use a flip flop too Barb :wink: my lad is terrible and sprays the stuff like he sprays his other sprays..deodrant, body sprays... smells like a tarts parlour sometimes :wink:
thanks for the warning Tracey
Edith                    

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2004, 06:51:18 PM »
Thanks Tracey

We have had recommended (and passed on to Molo's breeder - who has 9 doggies) the following alternative:

http://www.thanedirect.co.uk/products/diy/...c/pestmagic.php

Got to be worth a go                    
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline vicking

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2004, 09:54:57 PM »
:o Only just seen this i am horrified i do use fly spray as we get lots of wasps.Roscoe got stung in his mouth after catchin one in our dining room,it was not nice really hurt my baby gave me a shock to.BUT now my fly spray is going in the bin.That poor lady losing both dogs like that my heart goes out to her it really does. :(  
VICKI , MIA AND ROSCOE X X X

Offline Andrea L

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2004, 11:33:26 AM »
oh, poor lady.I didn't know that fly spray was toxic either, :o  so mine's going in the bin too
lots of woofs n' licks,
Andrea, Silas and Marley

ziggy

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2004, 10:47:12 PM »
omg,i was spraying the stuff the other day,and the weirdest thing is,,i even thought hope it doesn,t upset jasper,,how weird to read this,,how sad for those poor dogs,won,t be spraying that stuff anymore,ill get an old fashioned squatter!

good job i read this,

ziggy and jasperxxx

Offline looby lou

• Site Member
  • Georgia
    • http://www.jayzander.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2004, 10:51:17 PM »
:o Thank you sooo much for the warning tracey - I am horrified. I hate flies witha passion and one could derscribe me as a fly spray queen - no more. Does anyone know where you can get the fly tape from as it appears to be the only alternative. :o  
To see our dogs visit
www.jayzander.co.uk

Looby Lou

ziggy

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2004, 11:04:21 PM »
maybe from a good hardware shop,lou we have one round the corner will be going there tomorrow,,i hate flies too,they make me so mad,i hate the noise,if i do get one will let you know tomorrow ;) i will ask around

ziggy and jasperxxx

Offline tracey

• Site Member
    • http://www.quintaviacockerspaniels.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2004, 07:31:43 AM »
You can get fly papers from Wilkinson's. Not very attractive but under the circumstances.... The only thing I can say is if it kills flies and is dangerous to fish it can't be good for us or other small animals. I have always be very cautious with fly spray, glad I have. Another thing that worries me is those solid fly killers that you hang up, bit like a jel air freshener, you should read the warnings on the back of the packet :o

Tracey :)

http://www.quintaviacockerspaniels.co.uk

Love All
Trust A Few
Do Wrong To None
William Shakespeare

Offline cbabe

• Site Member
    • home of the Fernlow band of cockers!!!
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2004, 03:19:34 PM »
I think i had a call from the same lady - she was so distressed her husband was close to breaking down too.

We have a problem with flys due to the stupid recycle bins the council have given us. I got the sun flower stick on fly killers from tescos. They stick to the window above the sink so are well out the way of our pets. They also work really well. I would only stick them where they won't fall into reach. In the corner by the sink behind the bottles seems to work well!
Clare
Fern (HRH) and Willow (lolo)
Bryony, Gypsi, Thorn and Rocky

Sorry if my Post offends you, my cocker spaniel has learnt to type and i can not be held responsible for her attitude problem!