Author Topic: Stupid Boody People  (Read 2747 times)

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
  • Look mum - no legs :)
Stupid Boody People
« on: September 22, 2004, 10:40:46 AM »
This has been troubling me for some time and now it seems some intervention is needed - or does it

A neightbour decided she wanted a puppy and got a gold cockerdog. Two weeks later she decides that breeding would be a brilliant way of making money and off she goes and gets a black bitch cocker. This I found out on the day she bought the second one home and called me in to see them.

This is the first and last time I see the pups untill today.

Today I meet her with both pups at the local shops and we stop to chat. The bitch is about due her second season and shes looking to mate them. I tactfully point out that it may not be such a good idea as both dogs are from puppy farms (both bought from a certain shop who has a notorious record) and then I notice that lucy is a working cocker. I tell her the difference and that in fact she will be breeding mutts and that they would be worthless. (thinking if I cant appeal to common sense maybe the purse strings are the way to go)

Her answer is to get rid of Lucy so I offer to put her in touch with cocker rescue but she insists shes going to sell her to get her money back

Lucy isnt house trained at 18 months(thats why she stopped me - asking advice) and from what i could tell not any other trained.

Im concerened about both the dogs but hopefully have put her off thinking about breeding them, but now Im worried as to what will happen to Lucy. I can see her being shunted pillar to post and really ending up with more problems then now :(

I dont know this woman well at all. All I know is she buys animals at a whim all the time.Whilst chatting she told me the rabbit had died at 7 months cos of the change in the weather???? and out of the three kittens shes just bought she only ever sees one of them.

Im just so angry and upset at the moment. If i didnt have Alfie id buy lucy myself - at least to give her a chance. I really dont know what to do or if I can actually do anything

Oops I was so angry I hit send. so sorry for the rant, Im just feeling so helpless
Caroline and Alfie

Offline josiek

• Site Member
Stupid Boody People
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2004, 10:47:20 AM »
Given the comments about the rabbit and kittens, perhaps it could be a case for the RSPCA to look into - if they find that the animals are living in an unsatisfactory manner and not being looked after properly, then they would have the authority to do something about it.

I suppose though there's a line between just being a poor animal owner and one bad enough for the RSPCA to get involved, but that could be for the RSPCA to make the decision.

Unfortunately there are always going to be people who look at animals and think 'what am I going to get out of them?' instead of 'how can I help them to enjoy a happy life?' and it sounds like she is one of them.

Offline lizzy

• Site Member
    • http://
Stupid Boody People
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2004, 11:26:59 AM »
Suki I can just imagine how annoyed you must be feeling and helpless too :(

I don't really know what you can do to help these animals, if there is anything.

Some people are just unvelievable :angry:

Maybe some one else has some answere's, I don't know?

Lizzy Molly and Evie

Offline Silver Surfer (indiesnan)

• Site Member
Stupid Boody People
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2004, 12:24:41 PM »
I'm sure the RSPCA won't get involved in this unless cruelty is involved   , as long as this stupid womans animals are fed and not abused, i don't think they'll want to know.
Good on you though for trying to educate this stupid woman.
* Barb & Nell * ~~He who claims he knows, knows nothing. He who claims nothing knows~~

Offline ruth_2_hot

• Site Member
    • http://janandnoel.com
Stupid Boody People
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2004, 01:33:44 PM »
:angry: hi Suki  , not surprised you are angry i would be too , i would have a word with the dog warden they will probably be able to advise you also as the others have said give the RSPCA a ring , even if they can only offer advice at least you will have done something ,some people havnt got two brain cells to rub together  :angry:

Offline Mo

• Site Member
Stupid Boody People
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2004, 03:01:42 PM »
I wholeheartedly agree with you that if you are going to breed from your dog, then the puppies should come from good stock and a sound background and it sounds to me like this women certainly doesn’t have the best interests of her animals to heart.  However, your comment about breeding a show cocker with a working cocker has upset me a great deal as I have two gorgeous cockers, both with full pedigree, both KC Registered.  They are from different bloodlines but both have dads that were show and mums that were working and in my mind I do not for one minute regard them as “worthless mutts”.  We paid the going rate for them and to me they are worth every penny.  I am certainly no expert, but since becoming a member of COL I am learning a lot more about the breed, however, your comment has now left me feeling confused as to what is acceptable and what is not.

I’m sorry if I’m being a bit too sensitive about this and I certainly don’t want this thread to steer away from the actual debate but I just had to get it off my chest.

Mo

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Stupid Boody People
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2004, 03:26:27 PM »
A Cocker which has mixed working/show bloodlines is still a Cocker of course :) But a breeder serious about Working Cockers would not want to introduce show breeding into his/her lines in the same way that a breeder serious about show-type Cockers would not use Working bloodlines. It tends to be inexperienced breeders who do mix the bloodlines although some commercial breeders are also now doing it, particularly if they are aiming to produce less common colours (like liver/chocolate). I'm sure Caroline did not mean any offence Mo - I read it that she was just trying to think of something to say to put this person off breeding.

Jane

Jane

Offline Tracey J

• Site Member
Stupid Boody People
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2004, 03:56:34 PM »
What a shame that this woman only sees her animals as pound signs :( .  She obviously has no emotional attachment to this poor bitch if she hasn't bothered to house-train her, and can sell her because she can't serve her purpose.  Sounds like she knows nothing about the breed either if she couldn't tell the difference between show and working strains.  I pity any pups that she she eventually produces as I doubt she will have researched enough for their care too.

It's a subject which angers me greatly, but I doubt there is any law in the land that can prevent this woman from doing as she pleases.  What a shame :angry:  
Tracey, Molly &  little brother Brodie!

Offline Michele

• Site Member
Stupid Boody People
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2004, 05:02:05 PM »
I'm sure Caroline did not mean any offence Mo - I read it that she was just trying to think of something to say to put this person off breeding.

Jane
That's how I read it too  :)  

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
  • Look mum - no legs :)
Stupid Boody People
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2004, 06:17:26 PM »
Oh Mo Im so sorry, I really never meant any offence :(

This woman is only in it for the money, She has no interest in the welfare of the animals at all. When she first got the pups and introduced me (I was walking past wirh my last cocker) she said there and then that she only got Lucy so as she could breed as it was "good money". She got both pups from puppy farm stock, she knows this herself. I tried at that time to explain to her that breeding animals when you dont know what you are doing is not a good idea (dont forget Im no expert and didnt feel I could go into genetics etc) but she was adament.

When I saw her today - and this was the first time in 18 months I have ever seen the dogs out - she jumped into saying that she was going to breed as Lucys second season was about to start. This woman never even knew that there were different types of cockers and certainly never knew Lucy was a working cocker.

The comment about any mutts being worthless is I agree a tad tactless - I apologise. What I was trying to get across was that she is looking at getting £600 a pup (as thats how much a pedigree costs here) and I was trying to explain that any pups wouldnt meet breed standard so wouldnt bring her what she was expecting.

And it was pretty obvious that she doesnt have the welfare of the dogs in mind when realising that the two dogs wouldnt be the gold mine she thought she said there and then that lucy would have to go and she was only interested in selling her rather then rehoming her.

I was angry this morning and just rattled that post off, Im still angry and still very upset, I feel sick in thinking I have set of a chain of events that may not be for the best :( Im also feeling dreadful that I have inadvertaly upset you by not taking the time to think out and word my post. It wasnt my intention to upset anyone

Caroline and Alfie

Offline Mo

• Site Member
Stupid Boody People
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2004, 10:31:12 PM »
Hello Caroline

Sorry if I sounded off a bit, I do understanding where you're coming from and realise now the point you were getting across.    I was having a bad day and I get a bit over protective of my two - I can't help it ;)  I'm sure people at work think I'm barmy as I'm always talking about my dogs and passing photos of them around the office :D

I also get angry when I see animals being exploited like this.  You should tell this women about COL and it might teach her a thing or two, it certainly sounds like she needs it.

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Stupid Boody People
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2004, 11:07:53 PM »
OMG Caroline, what a nightmare!

I think we are all agreed on our opinions of Backyard breeders and puppy farms on COL, and poor you are faced with one on your doorstep.

Sadly, I imagine that this sort of thing happens every day in one part of the country or another....and nothing can be done about it unless legislation is changed.

If she was planning on breeding reguarly, wouldn't she have to obtain a license through the local authority under the 1973 Breeding of Dogs Act? Maybe this could be used as leverage to put her off further plans to breed.

I don't suppose you know the vet that your neighbour uses? He/she may be able to intervene regarding the bitch, and hopefully she wil find a suitable home.

Take care

Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Stupid Boody People
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2004, 11:24:40 PM »
If she was planning on breeding reguarly, wouldn't she have to obtain a license through the local authority under the 1973 Breeding of Dogs Act? Maybe this could be used as leverage to put her off further plans to breed.

Sadly no as the legislation was amended a few years ago - now you only need a licence if you breed more than 4 litters a year so the average backyard breeder having 2 or 3 litters a year doesn't need a licence.

Jane
Jane

Offline padfoot

• Site Member
Stupid Boody People
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2004, 01:14:16 AM »
This woman is clearly an idiot.

I have a feeling Ollie might be the result of a show x working mating...and his breeder was certainly another idiot.

Sadly I doubt there is much you can do to persuade her not to use her so-called pets as breeding machines. She obviously sees them in terms of pound signs.

As far as Lucy goes...whereabouts is she at the moment? And do you know a) how much she is trying to sell her for and b)if she would consider signing her over to rescue? You can PM me the details if you like  :)  

Offline Miss Poohs

• Site Member
Stupid Boody People
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2004, 08:31:38 PM »
She sounds like a right charmer - it's her poor dogs I feel for.

I have loads to learn about Spaniels too, but this woman is just looking to make a fast buck.

[/QUOTE] I'm sure people at work think I'm barmy as I'm always talking about my dogs and passing photos of them around the office

Love this quote Mo, it's shame we don't work in the same place - I have a husband and son, but guess what the piccies are on my phone  :P

Back to the point, I'd do my damnedest to put her off.