Author Topic: Feeding Help Please  (Read 1110 times)

Offline Rhona

• Site Member
Feeding Help Please
« on: September 23, 2004, 12:09:22 PM »
I had Sam at the vet the other day about an earlier posting (wetting the floor).  The sort of good news is that he might not just be badly behaved.  The not so good news is that he has an urine infection and a slightly higher temperature than normal (103).  I have to take him back next week so hopefully he will be just fine (fingerscrossed).  He has not we the floor since getting the antibiotic jab and he has only been taking the tablets for a few days.  Anyway I digress....

Sam was weighed and is 13kg (big strong boy!).   However I am a bit confused about his feeding now.  I have been giving him pedigree puppy food for no other reason than that was what he was getting fed when I got him.  However he is now between ages and sizes for the recommended feeding on the tin and I am not sure whether he should now be going down to two meals a day or how much to give him.

I am not at all opposed to changing his feeding (gradually I think you do it).  I just wondered what others would recommend.  I have read a lot of postings on this site where people seem to be feeding complete meals.  I just wondered if some of you nice people would point me in which direction to go with this and the pros and cons for one way of feeding or another.

Thanks very much for your anticipated good advice.

Rhona

Rhona and Sam

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
  • Look mum - no legs :)
Feeding Help Please
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2004, 01:57:59 PM »
Sorry o hear sam is poorly but at least now you know he wasnt being naughty or forgetting himself.

As for feeding it really is a matter of personal choice. My preference is for a dry complete food although my breeder is against them.

I prefer them for the convience and they fact there is usually less "waste" coming out the other end and what  there is is firm and easy picked up. Also dry food is great at keeping teeth and gums healthy - all that crunching :) Tinned food is around 70% water so stools are going to be looser and you need to add a mixer to help the teeth

As to what brand, i would say go for the best quality you can afford. Atm I changing Alfie over from JWB (which is a very good food) to Burns (also a very good food). My reasons are that Burns, from others postings, seem to keep the weight down on the dog. This is something Im concerened about as I had a big battle on my hands keeping the weight of my last cocker.

Caroline and Alfie

Offline Laura

• Site Member
Feeding Help Please
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2004, 02:27:46 PM »
I feed Naturediet - a wet complete food appealed more to my fussy Brogan (he's not fussy now we have piggy little Bailey) :D .  I like the fact that it is an Holistic food - free from preservatives, colourings and additives.  Burns is also an Holistic dog food.  (I use burns mini bites in the kongs)

They do free delivery to your door as well as a bonus!!  Tiny firm deposits from the rear end for our 2 dogs ;)  :lol:

Naturediet

Burns

Edited: to add the burns link as well ;)  
Laura x

Run free together boys. Missing you both xx
Bailey  29/04/04 - 16/03/11
Brogan 29/07/03 - 22/10/09

Offline Rhona

• Site Member
Feeding Help Please
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2004, 04:11:52 PM »
Thank you Laura I will have a look.  
Rhona and Sam

Offline taniac

• Site Member
Feeding Help Please
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2004, 05:09:17 PM »
I can recommend both James Wellbelove and Naturediet, although I have cut the nature diet out as Mum said Jovi had a bit of an upset tum when we were away (might be the other rubbish he insists on eating like twigs, ants etc)...

Anyway they weren't too happy at first to get the food plain, but I think they've got the message now that that's all their getting!!

I find a little bit of warm water or stock on it also makes it smell better so that encourages them... Might find this useful if you're moving over foods and he's a little fussy about it!

Hope he feels better soon, they are a worry aren't they  :rolleyes:  
Tania
(Neo and Jovi's Mum)

Offline charlie771

• Site Member
    • http://
Feeding Help Please
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2004, 11:19:50 PM »
Sorry to hear Sam has been a bit poorly  :(  hope he gets better soon.

I will have to agree on Naturediet, My cocker Charlie has been fed on it since he was a pup. He's eyes and coat are so bright and healthy and the best bit is it's free from any artifical gunk!!
Nicky and Charlie

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
Feeding Help Please
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2004, 04:02:41 PM »
We use Naturediet too for Indie, he loves it, especially the chicken/carrots variety. We add a bit of Burns mini bites for added texture and crunch.
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
Feeding Help Please
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2004, 04:24:07 PM »
I use a combination of Burns mixede with, either Naturediet, Butchers Tripe Mix, or Raw Tripe  :)