Author Topic: Worming  (Read 4167 times)

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Worming
« on: October 20, 2004, 08:13:59 PM »
I have also heard that some vets 'disbelieve' that breeders worm their pups and give pups another worming dose when they go for their jabs, just in case! Fortunately, my vet didn't question the fact that he had been wormed - but I think that other litter mates were re-wormed  :rolleyes: This is probably a response to puppy farmers, I imagine  :(

Rachel - worming of puppies is a lengthy process that starts from very early days and goes through to six months old - so vets are not questioning whether a puppy's been done - but continuing the treatment as apt. I'd be more concerned if a vet didn't worm a puppy regularly until 6 months old.

Similarly - it's part of a vets duties to check your dog has been regularly wormed too all though its life.
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Worming
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2004, 09:19:10 PM »
Seem to have gone 'off thread' a little - Molos breeder wormed him at 2, 5 and 8 weeks with Panacur, and advised that he would not need to be dosed again until he was 6 months old.

Some of his litter mates were apparently wormed 'again' when they went for their vaccinations - but my vet said if hes been done, make sure he comes back in 6 months  :blink:  
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Sandie

• Site Member
    • http://
Worming
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2004, 09:33:22 PM »
Off topic again.....here we go....

My pups were a bit poorly in the beginning so they were wormed with panacur at 3, 6 and 9 weeks. I told my puppy owners to worm again at 12 weeks, 4, 5, 6, 9 and 12 months. One of my owners took my worming schedule with her to her vets when the puppy had the second injection, and he said I was spot on with the worming schedule.

Another reason for missing the 8 week deadline was because i didn't want the worming program to clash with the injections as some puppies can become ill so I am told.

The nicest thing my puppy owner told me, is that his parents had bred and shown blue roan cocker spaniels for years and years, so I guess he knew what he was talking about more than others. Wish I had asked who he was then we could have worked out who his parents were  :D

I shall be worming my own puppies to the same schedule then once they reach a year old i might do them three monthly or six monthly.

Saying that a puppy does not need to be wormed after 8 weeks is unprofessional on the part of the vet. All puppies need worming on a regular basis while they are young, and to insinuate that puppies should never need worming is criminal to say the least.

Just my opinion!

Sandie xx

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Worming
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2004, 09:39:35 PM »
Saying that a puppy does not need to be wormed after 8 weeks is unprofessional on the part of the vet. All puppies need worming on a regular basis while they are young, and to insinuate that puppies should never need worming is criminal to say the least.
Oh, dear...do I have to look for a new vet ?  :( I'm really happy with mine, and their advice about this was the same as Molo's breeder.

What are the risks to the pup of not worming frequently enough? I am fairly sure he hasn't got worms - where might he pick them up?
Oldies Club

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Worming
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2004, 09:46:50 PM »
I've split - the KC Reg'n thread to run this worming subject on - carry on chaps :D  
Pam n the boys

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Worming
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2004, 09:57:52 PM »
Rachel - It might have something to do whith the product they use - but it does rather sound a little infrequent to me.

What does your vet use?
Pam n the boys

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Worming
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2004, 10:03:34 PM »
I'm not sure about Panacur (don't use it) but it's unusual for a vet not to recommend worming after 8 weeks. We use Drontal & our pups are wormed at 3, 5, 7 & 9 weeks then every month after that until 6 months old. I'd have to check the Panacur protocols - as Pam says, different worming preparations have different recommendations.

Jane
Jane

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Worming
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2004, 10:08:18 PM »
Another reason for missing the 8 week deadline was because i didn't want the worming program to clash with the injections as some puppies can become ill so I am told.

YOu might be on to something there Sandie.  Disney had his first vacc on Monday and I wormed him yesterday - it obviously wasn't a long enough gap between them as he's not a well puppy at all today, and thats the only thing I can think of that could have caused it :unsure: Think I'll miss out the 10 week worming dose and do it at 11 weeks instead, just to be on the safe side ;)  
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
  • Look mum - no legs :)
Worming
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2004, 10:10:48 PM »
Now Im all confused (doesnt take much) because Alfie was last wormed at 4 months and the vet says no need to do it again till 6 months and every three months after that. I did ask about him needing worming at 5 months(following breeers advice) but was told no - 6 months. Alfie is on Drontal
Caroline and Alfie

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Worming
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2004, 10:21:33 PM »
I've just looked at the manufacurers website (of Panacur), and their recommended dosage for worming paste are at two and five weeks, again when they leave the breeder, and may need to be at 8 and 12 weeks as well. It then says that frequency of dosage can be reduced unless the pup is in kennels - what does 'reduced' mean? To what?

I'll give Molo's breeder a ring tomorrow, and see what she says.

I have read about your poor puppies being poorly after their worming  :(  and don't really want to put him through that unless it is necessary.
Oldies Club

Offline Sandie

• Site Member
    • http://
Worming
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2004, 12:42:54 AM »
Hi,

I think 'reduced' means you don't need to do it so often. i.e. every three months :D

My worming schedule might be a little over the top after three months, so I'd go with what your vet says. Different vets have different opinions. I just read so many dog care books which said worm regularly within the first six months of a puppies life.

I believe all puppies are born with worms as they lay dormant in a bitch and reawaken with a vengence when the mother is in whelp. Then its a cycle of reinfection.... mother has worms....passes through the milk..... puppies drink the milk and become infected. The mum cleans up after the pups (yuk!) eats the worms and you are back at the beginning of the cycle again. I am sure someone with more knowledge will correct me if I am wrong.

To help alleviate the worm problem, Aimee as wormed after her season had started and before she was mated. When the puppies were fully weaned off her, I wormed her again.

I don't think you can overdose on any form of worming formula, but in very young puppies, you can give them an upset tummy. All my lot had an upset tummy after they were wormed the first time and it continued for three weeks. My vet was not too worried when i said the puppies are thriving and gaining weight even though their poos where quite loose. When it got to six weeks I wormed then again and after that their little poos were normal and have been normal ever since.

I hope I have covered everyones queries, I certainly didn't mean to worry anyone with my worming schedule. Always believe in doing things more often than not when worming comes mind. My older dogs get done religiously every three months
using drontal. Unfortunately panacur was the only puppy formula available at my vets at the time.

Now where did i put those tablets..........

Sandie xx

Offline PennyB

Worming
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2004, 10:35:08 AM »
Pups can also get reinfected quite easily once they get into the big wide world as well. If you think that there are some people out there that don't worm their dogs at all or hardly ever and so when your pup is out and about who knows what they're sniffing.

Mine eat fox poo and just about every disgusting stuff around so I also religously worm my two dogs.

Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Tracey J

• Site Member
Worming
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2004, 10:45:52 AM »
My 2 were wormed every 2 weeks until 12 weeks with Drontal and then once a month with Program (worming & flea treatment) for ever more.  It might be the more expensive way to do things, but it hasn't ever let me down.  Both Molly and Brodie had a bit of an upset tum but that was only when very very young ie. Brodie last week.  It only lasted for a day and I don't think it's a big price to pay.  From 4 months on, Molly has been fine with it - no more upsets.
Tracey, Molly &  little brother Brodie!

Offline taniac

• Site Member
Worming
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2004, 12:19:52 PM »
Jovi was wormed every 2 weeks until he was 12 weeks (timed around the injections) and then again at 6 months.  They used drontal up to the 12 weeks and then when he went for his 6 months check they gave him something new Milbemax I think, but don't have his health file to hand.

I think my vet advises worming every 2 months, which means he's due again now.. So I'll be off to the vets later  :D  
Tania
(Neo and Jovi's Mum)

Offline Chrissy

• Site Member
    • Powerscourt Cocker Spaniels
Worming
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2004, 12:58:44 PM »

My sentiments exactly Sandie!

If you look at the life cycle of the worms that commonly infect dogs you will see that regular worming is essential.  Each worming treatment should (hopefully) deal with any worm burden at the time of worming but doesn’t act as a preventative.  There is nothing to stop a puppy picking up a worm egg or being bitten by a stray flea (for tapeworm) the day after worming was carried out.  The idea of worming regularly is to ensure that if there are any worms present in the dog they don’t stay there long enough to build up in numbers and thereby cause harm to the dog.  Pups are wormed more frequently than adults because they are more likely to ingest them during the course of their explorations and they are more susceptible (being smaller) to the effects of a worm burden.

Chris