Author Topic: Anal Glands  (Read 1047 times)

Offline fudgesmammy

• Site Member
    • http://
Anal Glands
« on: January 02, 2005, 05:31:41 PM »
I've read topics about dogs getting smelly and it being because of full Anal Glands. COL is the first place I've even heard of the and we've had Fudge for over two years- do we need to check them regularly? Is it something that all dogs have? Do dogs get full glands more than bitches? Aaaahhhhhhh!??! :rolleyes:

Soz for being thick.
Eilidh, Fudge and Harry

Sue H

Anal Glands
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2005, 07:55:11 PM »
Yappy New Hear!!

Well now, anal glands ...  they contain (normally!) doggy pheremonal smelly stuff, which is exuded as they pass their motions - the glands are located inside, along the top arc of the anus, and sometimes dogs can just squit a bit of anal-gland juice if they really want to mark something!!

Problems can arise if their diet is not sufficiently fibre-based, and their motions are too soft to encourage this liqour from passing out regularly.  It can then start leaking out on its own, and yes, it is very smelly!

I eventually got the Vet to show me (and let me try to do it) how to empty full anal glands, and I suggest that if you are in any doubt about your dog's glands, you get your Vet to do the same - I could try to explain, but it is really something you have to be shown I think.  Not that it is that gross or anything, it is just that you don't want to be fiddling about with your dog's bum not really knowing what it is you're supposed to be accomplishing!  It helps if the anal glands are full - if they aren't, you just think you're hopeless - if they are really full and hard, then you need to go at it a different way if you know what I mean ....  You could always practise popping two jelly-beans out of a deflated balloon with one hand ...!!!

I have just re-read this, and I am so sorry because it doesn't seem to help at all !!!

Welcome to COL anyway!!!

Offline PennyB

Anal Glands
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2005, 10:17:39 PM »
Problems can arise if their diet is not sufficiently fibre-based, and their motions are too soft to encourage this liqour from passing out regularly.  It can then start leaking out on its own, and yes, it is very smelly!

and sometimes they just arise. My two have lovely firm poo but still Ruby has problems while Wilf rarely does.

Sometimes you know if there is a problem if they start 'scooting' their bum on the floor and once you've excluded worms then its often the anal glands
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!