Author Topic: Spay Or Not ?  (Read 1946 times)

Offline ellicott

• Site Member
Spay Or Not ?
« on: January 04, 2005, 05:19:08 PM »
I have just aquired Rosie to go with our boy dog Robbie. She is 11 weeks now and I am interested in peoples thoughts on keeping boy and girl together. Robbie is 7 and has been done. He loves his new little sister and when playing can occasional turn a little bit frisky but nothing that needs attention. Ideally I wpuld like not to have to spay her however,
how would it work if she was not spayed?
I would find it difficult for them to be separated for a period of time
 If spaying is the only option when should this be done?
Any experience with this matter from any one with boys and girls would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Erica

Offline tobycat

• Site Member
    • Elmonts Online
Spay Or Not ?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2005, 05:33:06 PM »
I'd been wondering a similar question. I have a neutered 7 year old bitch and a 6 month old entire dog. Can't make my mind up whether to have Oscar 'done' or not  :unsure:  
http://www.justgiving.com/lizelmont
"On judgement day if God should say, "Did you clean your house today?"
I will say, "I did not, I played with my dogs and I forgot." Anon.

Offline Kim

• Site Member
    • Molkara Cocker Spaniels
Spay Or Not ?
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2005, 06:03:52 PM »
IMO a dog & a bitch is the best combination as pets, very rarely will they not get on & having a dog castrated is the lesser operation, but it depends on whether you can cope with a bitch in season or not.

Tobycat, if your bitch has been spayed I see no reason to have Oscar "done." unless there is a problem with him.
www.Molkara.co.uk

Save the earth; it's the only planet with chocolate.

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
Spay Or Not ?
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2005, 07:00:55 PM »
Tobycat, if your bitch has been spayed I see no reason to have Oscar "done." unless there is a problem with him.

I was just thinking that  ;)

Anyway, I think it's a personal thing one that Colin recently had to tackle. In the end, he decided to neuter Jimmy and I met up with him  today and I didn't notice anything different in his manner not alot really with his coat either. Colin will be able to let you know how it went himself.

I agree though as with humans it is a smaller operation for the male than the female.  

Offline Miss Poohs

• Site Member
Spay Or Not ?
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2005, 07:06:02 PM »
Vahri is already spayed, Ruffy is currently entire, but we're 'monitoring' the situation!!

Offline PennyB

Spay Or Not ?
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2005, 11:02:09 PM »
I have just aquired Rosie to go with our boy dog Robbie. She is 11 weeks now and I am interested in peoples thoughts on keeping boy and girl together. Robbie is 7 and has been done. He loves his new little sister and when playing can occasional turn a little bit frisky but nothing that needs attention. Ideally I wpuld like not to have to spay her however,
how would it work if she was not spayed?
I would find it difficult for them to be separated for a period of time
 If spaying is the only option when should this be done?
Any experience with this matter from any one with boys and girls would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Erica
If you're other dog is neutered then there would be no need to keep them separate
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline fudgesmammy

• Site Member
    • http://
Spay Or Not ?
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2005, 11:24:02 PM »
We had Fudge (now 2) spayed. We were kind of given the impression by the vet that it was really the only sensible thing to do. I now regret ever having it done.

For a start the operation went pretty hard on poor Fudge. She was allergic to the dressing they put on her, then reacted to her stitches. Second, ever since the op she's been flighty, nervy and barks a lot. Thirdly her coat is a total nightmare, she doesn't go a day without getting a matt, her top is thick and fluffly and horrible. Fourthly, at two years old and still getting as much exercise as possible we really have to watch her weight. Add those to the threat of incontinence in old age, countless other potential issues and we're left wishing we'd never let the vet operate on her.

I would say, if you can cope with two dogs you can cope when your bitch is in season, it just takes a little extra care. It's possible to have a contraceptive type injection I've heard and this has nowhere near the adverse effects that spaying has. A friend of ours, when asked about the risk of pyometria commented 'I've only her had one bitch get it and you just deal with it like any other illness.'

Personally I'd never have another bitch spayed. I understand why people do it but I think all to often we are not aware of the whole picture. Plus there's no real cause if your dog is already neutered.

Eilidh, Fudge and Harry

Offline PennyB

Spay Or Not ?
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2005, 09:00:51 AM »
I think with every story re spaying there's always good or bad. I have never regreted neutering any of my pets and will still do it in the future.  
Friends of Hailey Park

Offline tobycat

• Site Member
    • Elmonts Online
Spay Or Not ?
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2005, 09:20:01 AM »
undefinedFor a start the operation went pretty hard on poor Fudge. She was allergic to the dressing they put on her, then reacted to her stitches. Second, ever since the op she's been flighty, nervy and barks a lot. Thirdly her coat is a total nightmare, she doesn't go a day without getting a matt, her top is thick and fluffly and horrible. Fourthly, at two years old and still getting as much exercise as possible we really have to watch her weight. Add those to the threat of incontinence in old age, countless other potential issues and we're left wishing we'd never let the vet operate on her

Scully had a very bad reaction to the operation too. She managed (even with an Elizabethan collar) to pull out 3 of the stitches then the remaining ones filled up with fluid from under her skin and went septic. It was touch and go after that for a while. Her coat is like Fudge's now but before it was really beautiful amd her weight is an ever increasing problem especially as she has hip dysplasia. I wish that she had never been speyed now too but since she had hip and eye defects it seemed the right thing to do at the time  :unsure:  
http://www.justgiving.com/lizelmont
"On judgement day if God should say, "Did you clean your house today?"
I will say, "I did not, I played with my dogs and I forgot." Anon.

Offline TOPAZ BILLY

• Site Member
  • De Girls!
Spay Or Not ?
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2005, 12:27:44 PM »
We have a 4 year old male who is "done" and a 8 month old bitch who isn't and she has had her first season, though Billy was very interested the first couple of days of Abby's season, Abby just thought he wanted to play :rolleyes: he gave up even trying after a couple of days, I would let her have her first season and see how you cope.

Michelle

Offline PennyB

Spay Or Not ?
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2005, 04:59:18 PM »
Add those to the threat of incontinence in old age, countless other potential issues and we're left wishing we'd never let the vet operate on her.

I thought incontinence was immediate after the actual operation if it happens not somewhere along the line. You have potential issues with anything that happens whether something is done or not.
Friends of Hailey Park

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Spay Or Not ?
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2005, 05:08:19 PM »
Not necessarily - older spayed bitches can definitely be more prone to urinary incontinence than entire bitches. Our Daisy did not become incontinent immediately after spaying but a year or two afterwards - her condition was treatable with Propalin drops but nevertheless it was distressing for her during the time it took to get the dosage exactly right for her. Our vet confirmed that her condition was related to her being spayed but of course not all bitches are affected in this way - we have another elderly spayed girl at the moment who has never been incontinent (touch wood!)

Jane

Jane

Offline betastorm

• Site Member
    • http://photobucket.com/albums/v208/betastorm/
Spay Or Not ?
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2005, 05:32:30 PM »
I'm finding this a very interesting thread.  I will be getting my pup in 5 weeks and have been thinking about if to have her spayed after her first season.  I won't be breeding from her and had always thought it was best just to have them 'done'.  I now understand that their coats can change quite a bit if they are spayed and am quite surprised to hear about incontinence as well. :huh:

I wouldn't be too bothered about 'keeping her in' while she has her season but am concerned about her 'dripping' all over the place.  How do you all find your girls do about keeping clean at that time?  And yes, I have seen those 'knicker's you can buy. :lol:

Wendy
Wendy and little Molly

Offline fudgesmammy

• Site Member
    • http://
Spay Or Not ?
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2005, 06:08:42 PM »
Our vet (who is also our neighbour and friend) runs Weight Watchers type classes for Dogs. Unsurprisingly some 75% of his heavyweights are speyed bitches.

I still agree that this is very much a matter of personal choice- just don't think it's the right choice for me or my dog(s).

Does anyone know any detail about the contraceptive type injection they can have??

Eilidh, Fudge and Harry

Offline Mary

• Global Moderator
Spay Or Not ?
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2005, 06:50:44 PM »

I wouldn't be too bothered about 'keeping her in' while she has her season but am concerned about her 'dripping' all over the place.  How do you all find your girls do about keeping clean at that time?  And yes, I have seen those 'knicker's you can buy. :lol:

Wendy

Lottie has just finished her first season and to be honest, the only inconvenience (if you can call it that) was having to put up with looking at an old blanket covering her favourite chair :rolleyes:

We did have the occasional 'drips' which were pretty minimal but having laminate flooring was easy to clean.  On the whole she kept herself very clean.

I took her for walks throughout her season but always on a lead around the streets and not popular dog walking areas.  I did miss walking her over the local field though and not being able to let her run off her lead.

To sum it up though, it was a breeze ;)
Mary & Lottie x