Author Topic: Sick Dogs  (Read 1362 times)

Offline fudgesmammy

• Site Member
    • http://
Sick Dogs
« on: January 07, 2005, 10:46:14 PM »
Fudge and Harry have both been a bit poorly this week- Fudge had mucusy poo- just a clear mucus over the poo. So we starved her for 24 hours and she seemed fine. Tonight she was cold on her muzzle, ears and paws and not very bouncy at all. She hasn't been sick or had poorly poo as far as we know. Harry however threw up his tea in the garden, his poo is ok though. He then went back to his sick and started to eat it so I brought him in and gave him some real food. He prefered to try to go back out and eat the sick. He ate his food eventually (after 5 minutes or so. I'm going to watch them tonight and in the morning. If I decide to take them to the vet will he be able to sort them out? Do they have drugs to sort out tummy upsets? They've both just finished a course of ear drops for ear mites- could this be affecting them?
I'm quite concerned- especially about Fudge being all cold on her extremities. Help?!
Eilidh, Fudge and Harry

Offline mum of kimmi

• Site Member
  • some days are harder than others!!
Sick Dogs
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2005, 11:00:26 PM »
Sorry can't help with this one, except to say that I hope that Fudge and Harry feel better soon.

I would be inclined to phone vets for advice in morning if no better (ours have a practice nurse who is available for advice over the phone).

Hopefully it will pass (no pun intended!) and they will soon be better.

Love & hugs

Sarah & Kimmi
Kimmi's mum

Offline PennyB

Sick Dogs
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2005, 11:15:42 PM »
Mine throw up every so often mainly because they scavenge (these pesky teenagers leave their empty takeaway in the woods sometimes) and to be honest I don't worry about it unless they throw up again (which fingers crossed they haven't so far). And yes they both have a munch on it afterwards, which at least saves on the cleaning up LOL.

The worst was one day when I couldn't find the half pound of butter I'd bought earlier, at which point Ruby threw the lot up along with her supper, but she felt so grotty she just left it there and felt sorry for herself for the rest of the evening leaving me to clear up rancid pewk.
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Sick Dogs
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2005, 08:52:49 AM »
Oh, I hope Fudge and Harry are better soon, poor little poochies  :(

I would probably give the vets surgery a ring; with both of them being a bit 'off' it might be worth checking it out.

Take care all!
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
Sick Dogs
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2005, 01:14:03 PM »
:( Aw sorry to hear Fudge and Harry have been unwell - how are they today?

Hugs from us xxx :)  
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

scoobie

Sick Dogs
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2005, 03:39:50 PM »
Hope fudge and harry are feeling better today there is nothing worse bless em ;)  

Offline tobycat

• Site Member
    • Elmonts Online
Sick Dogs
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2005, 06:24:11 PM »
Oscar throws up all the time and Scully does sometimes so its not something I panic about but I don't know what to think about the coldness  :unsure:  Maybe you should get a vet to check them both over  :unsure:

In any case, I hope by the time you read this that they are both on the road to recovery.  :)  
http://www.justgiving.com/lizelmont
"On judgement day if God should say, "Did you clean your house today?"
I will say, "I did not, I played with my dogs and I forgot." Anon.

Offline Sheila

• Site Member
Sick Dogs
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2005, 07:09:48 PM »
I hope they are both feeling a little better. Maybe they both have the same tummy virus, although I'm not sure why it would cause cold extremities.

Lottie is sick occasionally...but usually as a result of bolting down her food too fast and she will always try to eat it :blink:  

Offline fudgesmammy

• Site Member
    • http://
Sick Dogs
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2005, 08:08:05 PM »
They are both fine today!
We think Harry may have wolfed his tea too quickly and then thrown it back up. Fudge remains a mystery but is fine. They've both just finished a course of drops for ear mites and she hates having it done- she shakes! I think she may have been worrying about when her ears would get done as it always happens soon after I get home. The drops are finished now though and she seems to have forgotten all about them.

The vet is coming to visit them both this week so we'll ask him what he thinks might have been wrong with them.

My bottle of Thornit arrived yesterday. Should I start using it straight away or wait (last ear drops were yesterday)?
Eilidh, Fudge and Harry

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
Sick Dogs
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2005, 08:54:00 PM »
:) Pleased to hear they are back to normal x
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

scoobie

Sick Dogs
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2005, 10:26:12 PM »
Glad to hear both dogs are ok now :D I would use the thornit straight away ;) brilliant stuff :D  

Offline Curtisio

• Site Member
Sick Dogs
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2005, 05:17:04 PM »
Just read this thread...

Kyro has been, lets say 'very runny' yesterday and still this morning. We took him to dog club as he hadn't been yet so we did not know how firm he was. Outside he had a very ruuny poo. We went inside to get a bucket of water etc to clear up. Turns out there have been a few cases of diarrhea amonst the dog recently. Do then have bugs going around like humans.

Kyro is currently in 24 hour fast...

I hope he's a bit better tomorrow... :huh:  
Paul - Kyro - Daisy & Cookie (cats)

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
Sick Dogs
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2005, 06:34:17 PM »
Kyro is currently in 24 hour fast...

I hope he's a bit better tomorrow... :huh:
:( So do we

Big hugs for Kyro xxx  :)  
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

Offline Curtisio

• Site Member
Sick Dogs
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2005, 07:47:08 PM »
Kyro is at this very moment (just after normal tea time), lying by the kitchen door, probably thinking 'they must have forgotten me... :(

How do you explain to a young cocker it's for thier own good :huh:
Paul - Kyro - Daisy & Cookie (cats)

Sue H

Sick Dogs
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2005, 08:45:22 PM »
There have been various bugs doing the rounds this New Year ...

Our Vet at the BX has advocated starving for 24 hours and monitoring their poo etc.  It is easy to jump to conclusions, and various poo samples have been taken, but are all inconclusive, with the exception that some of the dogs seem to have hookworm ...

We had recently been wooed into accepeting and trialling a new wormer but if the results of the tests coincide with dogs which have had the new wormer and are still hosting hookworm, then we will obviously revert to our previous Drontal ....

For anyone who keeps rabbits or who has rabbits regularly crossing their property, coccidiosis (sic?) may be another factor to bring in .. with dogs (especially puppies) this can result in squits and mucousy motions ... it can also be transfeered in utero so litters may be affected and when they are re-homed, no-one realises that they are all suffering from the same symptoms ....