Author Topic: Eating Cat Poo  (Read 986 times)

tracee

Eating Cat Poo
« on: January 31, 2005, 09:34:47 PM »
for a few months now harvey has been helping him self to the cat litter tray :o
 we clean it out as soon as we know the cats have been in it but harvey is like greased lightning
 we have tryed putting pepper on anything in the tray to let him eat to try and stop this behaviour but thats not working.
   can anybody suggest anything that might stop this (we have no problem with the others)
                                             thanks tracee

Offline scooby's mum

• Site Member
  • Scooby & Misty's Mum
Eating Cat Poo
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2005, 10:05:50 PM »
Hiya

Scooby did this too for a little while when he was a bit younger - didn't have access to the cat's tray (that's in the conservatory) but our cat poos under some conifers in the garden (the fallen needles, I suppose, act like a litter tray) and as soon as we let him outside he would make a beeline for this and chomp away  :(  
(they can obviously smell the meat in it (ugh!).

I tried my hardest to keep this area clear of poo (which was difficult) - I didn't tell him off for it, just used to distract him with something, which seemed to work.  

Eventually he just stopped doing it.  He even ate his own once when he was a pup (never did it again though - musn't have appealed to his palate!).

How old is Harvey, I suppose if he's a pup it's not so much of a worry?

Love Joanne, Misty & Scooby

Offline Pipers Mummy

• Site Member
Eating Cat Poo
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2005, 10:21:07 PM »
Hi Tracee,

Well, I'm not sure how old Harvey is and I hate to tell you this BUT...Piper has always done it and will do it now at 20 months if she is given the opportunity  :blink:   Isn't it disgusting when they just sit there 'slapping their lips' with delight as they gobble it up  :unsure:

Now, I can't quote from my favourite dog book because it's in the shipment on the way to Melbourne, however, from what I remember it says that some dogs may do this because they require certain nutrients from it (cat pooh is 75% undigested food apparantly) and of  course some dogs do it because they can and they are naughty  :D   Others on the forum may come along and offer more accurate advice but if you are sure Harvey receives a well balanced diet then you could try adding  one or two chunks of pineapple to his meals - that seems to have worked for some people.  

From what I have read, at the end of the day if your cats are healthy, then if Harvey eats their pooh it will not be a major health issue for him - it's just revolting I know  - and do avoid the tongue kisses as they are all together nasty   :lol:  :ph34r:

Good luck!

Louise  
Cocker Kisses from Louise & Piper xxx

Offline tobycat

• Site Member
    • Elmonts Online
Eating Cat Poo
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2005, 10:23:32 PM »
All my dogs have always done this....these days the litter tray is in the utility room which the dogs don't ever get access to. But that doesn't stop them from finding it in the garden or fields :blink:  
http://www.justgiving.com/lizelmont
"On judgement day if God should say, "Did you clean your house today?"
I will say, "I did not, I played with my dogs and I forgot." Anon.

Offline lizzy

• Site Member
    • http://
Eating Cat Poo
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2005, 07:31:58 AM »
Evie is especially bad at this foul habit!
I now have a covered litter tray for Jake and I turn the entrance the other way round so she can't stick her nose in for a quick snack! It gives Jake more privacy too.

Lizzy Molly and Evie

Offline betastorm

• Site Member
    • http://photobucket.com/albums/v208/betastorm/
Eating Cat Poo
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2005, 07:54:42 AM »
I now have a covered litter tray for Jake and I turn the entrance the other way round so she can't stick her nose in for a quick snack!
OOh I am so looking forward to getting Molly on Saturday. :lol:   Although we don't have a litter tray anymore, one of my cats is particularly fond of going down the side passage on the gravel to do her thing. :(   I shall have to be more attentive than normal to check down there. ;)  
Wendy and little Molly

Offline marie_231

• Site Member
Eating Cat Poo
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2005, 09:01:06 AM »
Benson used to do this , i really objected when he tried to kiss you at the same time , yukkkkk, solution,  we bought a covered in cat litter tray , was the best £20 ive ever spent  

Offline PennyB

Eating Cat Poo
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2005, 01:24:40 PM »
Mine do this and learnt that when the cats go out 1st thing they go to the toilet (in the patch of ground in the yard) and so would cue up behind the back door for when they come back in and would then rush into the garden to have their breakfast!
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

tracee

Eating Cat Poo
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2005, 06:52:05 PM »
hi
  i'm glad its not just harvey who's doing this :D
     he is about 2yrs old and on a complete working dry food, he's very healthy no problems otherwise .  
      we have a big coverd cat litter tray with a swing door but he gets himself in to it .some times you have to take the top of to let him out :rolleyes:  :lol:  :lol:
         so i will stop worrying about it and hope he stops in time
                   thanks for the reply's