Author Topic: Not Eating  (Read 1247 times)

Offline Jan29

• Site Member
Not Eating
« on: February 27, 2005, 09:35:44 AM »
Charlie is 9 months old and has never been a big eater. Recently he is hardly eating anything and  turns his nose up in disgust when i put his food down. When we got  him as a 10 week old from the breeder he was on Eukanuba for a while but since then i have tried James Wellbeloved which he won't even look at, Bakers which he will eat but i've since been told it's not a very good one and now he's back on Eukanuba. I feed him twice a day and since Friday he's eaten hardly anything but if we're eating or i'm cooking he goes mad begging for our food. He's quite skinny and i'm really worried, but in every other way he's happy and the perfect pet. Can anyone offer any advice please?

Janet
Janet and Charlie

Offline wendy

• Site Member
    • http://www.luthame.net
Not Eating
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2005, 09:43:47 AM »
Hi Janet

This is my story, I have just posted a message on the puppy board with almost exactly the same story.  Finley is 8 months old and exactly the same.  We have found a food he likes which is arden grange he will eat it consistantly for about two weeks and then goes completly off it.  I thought he was a fussy eater however I think now it's stress, we do a bit of showing and everytime we do a show he is off his food for at least 2-3 days.  He went to the groomers on Thursday and that has set him off again - sorry I can not be of help - but I understand your dilemma .

Wendy
Visit our new website
www.luthame.net

Dogs leave paw prints on your heart

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
Not Eating
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2005, 09:52:22 AM »
Hi,
I would suggest you go back to the Bakers diet if he eats it. Even if it's not as nutritionally sound as Eukanuba its got to be more benefical because at least he eats it!
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline mick

• Site Member
Not Eating
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2005, 11:50:36 AM »
Hi,
I would suggest you go back to the Bakers diet if he eats it. Even if it's not as nutritionally sound as Eukanuba its got to be more benefical because at least he eats it!
[snapback]102296[/snapback]

I would agree with Bluegirl...Our Jess has always been a fussy eater but I would never compromise him by giving him something he does not like.  

Offline catwillow

• Site Member
    • http://www.lapislumina.co.uk/
Not Eating
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2005, 01:16:24 PM »
I have to agree with Mick and Karen....... its got to be better to feed your dog something they will eat, even if its not as good a food, than to try and feed him food he hates and wont eat at all....... If he is happy and healthy on Bakers, then give him Bakers :)
Hugs n stuff

Sheri  XxX
Lilly, Murphy & Sally xxx

Offline PollyKay

• Site Member
Not Eating
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2005, 09:04:06 PM »
I'm finding that Sidney is quite choosy over waht he will eat.  I have a pantry shelf full of different sample bags of complete food.  So far he has turned his nose up at Science Plan and Pedigree Complete.  He seems to like the Pets At Home own brand which are shaped like little bones.  I wondered whether it was the round shape of the others that he doesn't like.  The breeder had him on Pedigree Puppy in the tin which he didn't really seem to like much.  
I had a box of the Pedigree pouches which I tried in desperation to get him to eat more and he gets really excited over them and eats the lot in one go and looks for more.  I'm only giving him half a one a day at the moment and using the Pet Plan Complete for the other meals.  I want to keep him on Complete as much as I can, but not if he doesn't like it.  
Can you get sample packs of the Burns that everyone on here raves about?  I don't want to buy a big bag in case he won't eat it.  I'll soon have enough spare puppy food for all the pups in Norfolk.
Polly (& Sidney the Cavalier)[/size]

Offline MummyJane

• Site Member
    • http://
Not Eating
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2005, 10:13:29 PM »
Alfie is the same, he is sooo fussy with his food and I still haven't found a complete dog food he will eat.  His breeder had him on Pedigree and we gradually changed it to Eukanuba thinking it was better for him but he hated it!  He always wants the food we eat whatever it is.  I am thinking of trying him on a raw diet but not really sure how you go about it yet.  Anyone got any ideas?

Jane x

Offline Sheila

• Site Member
Not Eating
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2005, 10:13:51 PM »
Burns is great...I feed both of mine on it, but then neither of them have been fussy eaters.
However, my parents cavalier has always been difficult to feed. I have lost count of the numbers of half finished bags that they have given to me, they know that Goldie will eat anything :) I told them about Burns and they tried their dog on it. He eats it really well and clears his bowl, something he has never done. It may not work for every dog, it's a case of finding something they like and sticking with it.
You can find the burns site here:

http://www.burns-pet-nutrition.co.uk/

Offline Laura

• Site Member
Not Eating
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2005, 07:53:23 AM »
When Brogan was mega fussy we changed him over to Naturediet - like Burns it is an good quality holistic food no additives or anything.  Brogan definitely preferred having a wet complete food as opposed to dry kibble.   We then stuck to this one - any meals that were not finished in 10 minutes were taken up. He then had nothing else to eat until his next meal.  His faddiness improved and well now he is a right scavenger  :angry:  :lol:

Naturediet website

Good luck with whatever you decide to do  :)
Laura x

Run free together boys. Missing you both xx
Bailey  29/04/04 - 16/03/11
Brogan 29/07/03 - 22/10/09

Offline DIANNE32

• Site Member
    • http://www.DIDO.mypetpages.net
Not Eating
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2005, 09:10:32 AM »
<_< Bailey was exactley the same with his food, i tried allsorts for him and i think this is one of the reasons he was fussy. He will only eat Bakers, but like the others say its better than nothing at all. My friend also has a cocker and her dog did the same too! he also will only eat Bakers. Stick with the Bakers if he enjoys it. :blink:
DIANNE,CHRIS, BAILEY & EBONY
[http://www.dido.mypetpages.net

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
Not Eating
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2005, 11:33:53 AM »

Same experience as Laura here - Jimmy was a really picky eater, never very keen on dry food but instantly took to Naturediet.  I think it's worth giving this a try before returning him to Bakers, as it's a much better quality food.  :)

Offline scooby's mum

• Site Member
  • Scooby & Misty's Mum
Not Eating
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2005, 12:50:16 PM »
Hiya Janet

I feed Scooby on James Wellbeloved complete food (just because the breeder had weaned him on it) but I have to put something in it or he won't eat it.  I rotate between chopped up ham, chicken, puffed jerkey and Pedigree puppy pouches (half a pouch mashed in).  

Perhaps try putting something in it like I do - I know they say you shouldn't but if it makes the food more interesting, why not.

Good luck  :)
Love Joanne, Misty & Scooby

Offline Jan29

• Site Member
Not Eating
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2005, 10:48:13 PM »
Thanks for all your advice - i'm keeping Charlie on Bakers for now so at least i know he's eating something. He weighs about 26 pounds so he's not underweight just a spoilt brat! By the way, should he be on puppy or adult food at 9 months old and should i keep him on 2 meals a day at his age?
Janet and Charlie

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
  • Look mum - no legs :)
Not Eating
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2005, 11:39:29 PM »
Thanks for all your advice - i'm keeping Charlie on Bakers for now so at least i know he's eating something. He weighs about 26 pounds so he's not underweight just a spoilt brat! By the way, should he be on puppy or adult food at 9 months old and should i keep him on 2 meals a day at his age?
[snapback]103563[/snapback]

Hes the same weight and ages as my Alfie :)

Alfies been on adult food since 7 months as this is what Burns advised. Do Bakers have a helpline number you can ring for advice? Personaly I would say that at 9 months they are fully grown so should go over to adult
Caroline and Alfie

Offline taniac

• Site Member
Not Eating
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2005, 01:45:30 PM »
Another fussy eater in my house, Jovi did exactly the same at about the same age.  Both the dogs were on JWB but I tried changing Jovi to something else with little success.  I'd already discovered Nature Diet and mix a small amount into the JWB kibble so in the end I upped the amount of Nature Diet and reduced the amount of kibble right down (or didn't put any in)..

This seemed to improve matters and now we have upped the kibble.  However he still eats very slowly and is very skinny... but then Neo's a fatty and I have to watch his weight and keep him out of Jovi's bowl!!!!  :lol:
Tania
(Neo and Jovi's Mum)